Talk

Advanced search

MIDI-sleepers - any one got one - are they good?

(23 Posts)
Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 14:28:09

if so, what are the benefits. and where did you get yours from, and what kinda price am I looking at?

LIZS Thu 16-Aug-07 14:45:37

We've got Flexa's at that level , not the cheapest but you can have them low or even higher, become bunks etc. Can create a den and storage underneath , talk to them lying down without having to sit or bend but a pita to change the sheets or read a story.

Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 15:03:36

Oooh gosh LIZS, youre right, not the cheapest, but I expect they are solid. will have to keep looking. thanks for the tip though. xx

RubyRioja Thu 16-Aug-07 15:07:28

We have stompa and they are fa, but agree sheets and stories are pita. Also if the little monkeys climb in your bed, you cannot easily go and get in theirs!

LIZS Thu 16-Aug-07 15:08:34

ds' creaks , we can tell if he's awake! It has been dismantled/moved 3 times now though.

Lizzylou Thu 16-Aug-07 15:10:53

We've just got a Wendy sleeper with tent "den" underneath for DS1(3.5), he loves it (esp the den!), we got ours locally for about £350 (with mattress), but you can get them on the internet too.

Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 15:20:18

Mmmm....Im thinking the way our finances are at the mo, I may have to get second-hand. But needs must eh! The ones for £300 plus look really solid, then there is Argos for less than £200 and they look quite rickety

good point RR about sheets, and not getting into their bed easily. My DS is going through night terrors at the mo, and prob 4 nights out of 7 I have to get into bed with him. OK, might have to rethink this. darn it. space is so tight in our house!

RubyRioja Thu 16-Aug-07 15:22:43

They are really good for space - ours have a desk, book case, drawers, shelves and a cupboard - plus space 'hidden' behind.

If you are petite, it would be fine - I have got into them, Even PG but it is not as easy as a regular single.

Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 15:27:17

RR Im 6' !!!

Lizzylou Thu 16-Aug-07 15:31:30

WG, I am a hefty lass and 5ft 9", I've been in bed with Ds1 a few times and the bed is still OK (I do have an egg on my head from where I bumped it when putting his pyjamas on under the bed in his den..the only place he will now get changed!!!).

We looked at a lot of sleepers (Ikea do one too) and the cheaper ones were rickety tbh, have a look on Ebay or local paper etc. Ours is very sturdy (hence not collapsing under my bulk!)

miljee Thu 16-Aug-07 15:34:07

We were given ours- it's a grey metal tubular high sleeper which DS, 8 sleeps in. Created tons of space under it (built in desk, added bookshelf, general boy-stuff). Changing sheets a pain, but I stand on a chair to read him a story! Careful about lights- we had a clip on spot light DS used to sit up and read. Next wash, in horror I noticed the scorch mark on the pillow case...

It does creak a bit but I like to know if he's getting out of bed at night.

brandnewhelsy Thu 16-Aug-07 15:37:54

Wolfgirl, we got a second-hand pine one in really good condition for 25 quid from a woman at work (we have a "for sale" on our email and people put on "wanteds" too - don't know if you or anyone you know could do that) - we just bought a new mattress and it's been great!
Agree that reading stories is almost impossible, as is cuddling, putting down drinks, changing sheets, etc. Lots more space though.

RubyRioja Thu 16-Aug-07 15:39:48

Well..I'm sure you coudl fit, but not desperately comfy!

Don't think you can beat stompa for sturdiness though, espec if your dcs are trampolining hefferlumps!
This is fab www.roomtogrow.co.uk/products_details.asp?prod=148&matt=null&ass=No, though get them to build it.

Might be overbudget, but honestly worth it. Stop feeding or something

Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 15:42:33

oh my goodness RR, it looks fab. Now wheres that balaclava.....

soooooooo wish you hadnt shown me that, it does look fab!

RubyRioja Thu 16-Aug-07 15:44:06

We looked at loads and nothign touched them for build quality. You do get some second hand, but they still are £££.

We bought them in the sale (two! nearly broke us!) and I really think will do until they are teenagers. They have virtually no other furniture!

RubyRioja Thu 16-Aug-07 15:45:24

I thought this looked clever too www.roomtogrow.co.uk/products_details.asp?prod=525&matt=null&ass=No

Lizzylou Thu 16-Aug-07 15:49:06

I think that ours was more like £250...

Here's a link, it is so much more sturdy in rl than it looks (DS1 is pretty rough and tumble)

Wendy sleeper

Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 16:26:52

<<sigh>> - the sales are on, arent they??!! surely I must be able to get something to suit the pocket.

thanks ladies I will keep looking. I wont buy rickety stuff, cos like you said RR - must be able to accommodate bugging trampolinists (spelling??)

OK, off to prepare tea. toad in the hole I think tonight.

thanks again for your help ladies xx

Wolfgirl Thu 16-Aug-07 16:27:50

whoops, meant 'budding' not 'bugging' although that might be the case at some point

Sam100 Fri 17-Aug-07 20:21:58

We wanted Flexa but could not afford so went with the Argos midsleeper with slide (white). It is actually surprisingly sturdy and made with solid wood. Hubby built by himself in an afternoon (not v good at diy so must be easy!). Cost about £180 I think. The mattress is a bit poor but apart from that was actually quite pleased with it. DS1 adores it and it seems to stand up to her and her friends jumping up and down on it. It came with curtains that make a little den underneath and hide all the rubbish a 5 yr old seems to require! Argos delivered exactly as promised and even took all the boxes upstairs for me (which I don;t think they are supposed to do.)

hippipotami Sat 18-Aug-07 20:09:48

Wolfgirl - check out ebay. We bought a 4 year old whitewashed Flexa bed for dd 6 months ago for £50. It needed some sticker residue and felt tip marks removing, but it now looks perfectly fine and she loves it!!
I chose Flexa (albeit secondhand as new was not an option) as I like the idea of either turning it into bunkbeds or a highsleeper when she is bigger, and when sleeping loftily is no longer cool we can take all the long bits off and turn it into an ordinary bed.

My friend bought the Argos one for her ds and has regretted it ever since. It wobbles!

Kaz33 Sat 18-Aug-07 20:18:51

Thuka also great - same principle as Flexa but cheaper. We have Thuka bed and like the quality. We also have a Flexa bed which we got second hand, but actually prefer the Thuka bed.

How about thuka - [[http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thuka-Midi-Sleeper-Bed-with-mattress_W0QQitemZ270155203454QQihZ017QQcategory Z122763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]

or Flexa
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flexa-Mid-hieght-Cabin-bed-pine-finish-straight-ladder_W0QQitemZ280142863734 QQihZ018QQcategoryZ131578QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kaz33 Sat 18-Aug-07 20:22:23

OOOps

Z122763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

QQihZ018QQcategoryZ131578QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now