Talk

Advanced search

How on earth do I open a bank account????

(9 Posts)
chocolatequeen Tue 14-Aug-07 20:41:41

Basically, we have just moved to the UK, staying in temporary, company provided accommodation. We desparately need to open bank accounts here, but can´t do so until we have proof of address. Can´t have proof of address until we sign contract on new house. Can´t sign contract on new house until we have a bank account to pay for it....

Catch 22 really. Anyone got any experience of opening bank accounts relatively quickly? (supposed to be paying deposit at weekend) Are internet banks any easier? Also, as I am not working, is it possible for me to get credit cards without an income, or do they have to be joint with DH?

TIA

chocolatequeen Tue 14-Aug-07 20:57:00

bump - please??!

WendyWeber Tue 14-Aug-07 20:58:30

Can't your company vouch for you and provide you with an introduction? When we moved to the US temporarily this was provided for us.

ELF1981 Tue 14-Aug-07 20:58:36

I would go into a bank personally and explain the situation. Easier to get things going if you can sit and talk face to face.

As for credit cards - prob best if your DH gets one and you as a secondary card holder, prob easier than if you are not working without having to join up for some massive APR %

oxocube Tue 14-Aug-07 21:13:16

This happened to us when we moved to Switzerland and again when we moved to Holland. Basically, each time, the company my husband worked for set up an appointment at a bank and I think a member of the company's HR dept acted as a go-between, vouching for him. Was esp complex if I recall correctly in Switzerland where work permits, residence permits and basically a permit to breathe were required for us all

chocolatequeen Tue 14-Aug-07 21:15:31

Company gave letter stating Mr A Chocolatequeen worked for them. Passport in name of Mr A B C D Chocolatequeen. Bank wanted B C and D on letter..... We´re running out of time, do you have any idea how long it took from the opening of the bank account to it actually being active?

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

natmatt Tue 14-Aug-07 21:18:07

hsbc have a passport account for people who have just arrived in the uk, i think its more aimed at migrants but they might be able to help?

potoroo Tue 14-Aug-07 21:27:45

We had the same problem when we moved to UK. Company set up the account for us at Natwest. But they also helped us find a house through an agency which made the bank bit easier.

Otherwise DH (who was my dependent) found Lloyds very helpful when we went and explained the situation. They let him open an account with a temporary address.

Millie1 Tue 14-Aug-07 22:03:00

Chocolatequeen ... have you registered with a GP yet? Our bank will accept a letter from a gp stating that he/she knows you/your address - bank provides template for GP to use. Check back with your bank - they will have something in place. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now