loader

Talk

Advanced search

MATTEL RECALL SOME TOYS.....

(116 Posts)
tiredemma Tue 14-Aug-07 15:35:45

from the beeb

recalled toys

mainly platic stuff but someone may have some lurking in a toy box somewhere.

Nbg Tue 14-Aug-07 15:37:36

Thanks.

DD has the Sarge car.

This is the second thread about recalls I have read and we have had toys with lead paint in!

Nbg Tue 14-Aug-07 15:46:40

this is the page you'll need

Just a note, dd's sarge car was made in Thailand so its ok. I think its the ones made in China that are the problem.

SlightlyMadSpider Tue 14-Aug-07 15:48:16

Do I get this right. I t is all pollypockets with a magnet in.....its not a batch thing?

SlightlyMadSpider Tue 14-Aug-07 15:55:14

I have just had a look at the full brochure but all of the refund info is in dollars....is there a UK recall?

tissy Tue 14-Aug-07 16:05:19

the UK email address to report if you have any of the affected toys is:

HelplineUK@Mattel.com

I've just emailed them, but don't expect a reply today!

Dd has the Barbie and Tanner (would be glad to get rid of it- horrrible thing!) and at least three of the dance and groove pPolly Pockets.

I'm sure dd would be glad to relinquish them for some compo

Where did you get the info about compensation, SMS?

CarGirl Tue 14-Aug-07 16:09:11

so what happens how do we get a refund, how long before they get back to you?

Lizzer Tue 14-Aug-07 16:09:24

HELP! I'm torn! dd has 3 of the polly pocket playsets but she's 7 and a half, very unlikely to swallow a magnet should it accidentally fall out, and getting her to give up most of her pol pocks will be a nightmare!

I would be wary with a toddler around but as I'm expecting a ds in dec and unlikely of him to play with them when he's older (oh I know that's highly sexist but ykwim)

Is it more a case of them covering their backs and if an incident occured I couldn't sue Mattel for it?

But surely as-yet-unborn ds is more likely to choke on a pebble, nut, or whatever else than a possible magnet falling from pp clothing?

What shall I do? [confused]

FioFio Tue 14-Aug-07 16:11:33

Message withdrawn

redtoenails Tue 14-Aug-07 16:12:36

lizzer i have loads of the polly pocket as well but do I really need to return it when an 8 year old is playing with it?

tissy Tue 14-Aug-07 16:14:01

I'm going to see what Mattel come up with if they say "send them back and we will give you £XX compensation" I'm going to talk to dd (who is 5.5). She already has a long list of things she wants fro hristmas, and her bday uis further away, so she may agree to sending the PPs and Barbie's crapping dog back, in exchange for some hard cash!

If not, I think she is sensible enough not to swallow a magnet (though sometime in the last year I did catch her inserting a pea up her nose to see what it was like....)

tissy Tue 14-Aug-07 16:14:38

my typing has become rather cod-like today...

grouchyoscar Tue 14-Aug-07 16:28:18

ah, you got there before me. I've just added this to 'in the news'

DS has a Sarge and I've checked. His is from Thailand

redtoenails Tue 14-Aug-07 16:30:21

am I right in thinking that the only danger is if your child is still daft enough to swallow something or is there something else?

tissy Tue 14-Aug-07 16:31:32

some things have paint with lead in them...not Barbie or Polly Pocket as far as i know...

ProfYaffle Tue 14-Aug-07 16:40:43

I'm confused, looked on the website, followed the Barbie and Tanner link but no Barbie and Tanner on the product list, is this just me??

bagpuss Tue 14-Aug-07 16:43:55

We have 4 of the affected sets. dd is 5 and going mad currently as I've got to take them away . ds2 also plays with them sometimes (he's 2) .

Lizzer Tue 14-Aug-07 16:46:05

redtoenails, I am thinking not to bother with it. Just too heart wrenching - she had wanted them for ages and saved up. i can't take them away, think that I will be vigilant in 2 yrs when 'the boy' is toddling around but think the risk is minimal. Had it been lead paint I would think again though...

LOL @ barbie's crapping dog!

redtoenails Tue 14-Aug-07 16:50:10

lizzer I've not got toddlers but still feel like a bad mother for letting them keep the polly pocket

Lizzer Tue 14-Aug-07 16:57:48

Red, I don't feel too bad as I have never seen dd put any toys in her mouth since she was about 3 and it would be a freak accident if something happened, akin to being run over by a bus.

IF and it is a BIG if dd is still playing with pp at 9 yrs old and my as yet unborn child is around pp playsets then I will be extremely careful, but I will also be careful if he (assuming they got that right on the scan) picks up gravel, peanuts and anything else small that 18 month olds usually eat. Like I say, if it was poisonous they'd be going straight back but its not and small things exist everywhere!

SlightlyMadSpider Tue 14-Aug-07 17:45:32

the recall value is at the end of this dcument

I have just noticed it is in the States tho.

It seems to suggest that if you have for example teh fashion Boutique they are only recalling the dolls & outfits that have the magnets in - which means I will be left with a lump of plastic with no dolls or outfits to play it with.

I am also with you in that DTDs are 6 - what is the real risk of them swallowing 2 magnets which have fallen out? Aren't they just as likely to swallow 2 of the ponytails/tops which are small enough to be swallowed in their own right and suffer the same? Not sure I want to give bits and pieces back and keep the non affected bits IYSWIM.

Having said all that I don't know how they are handling it in the UK. Tissy if you get an email reply can you let me know?

LIZS Tue 14-Aug-07 18:05:08

Am also confused . dd had the PP Snow Cool Hotel and Limo given to her last year - but not sure if they are really among the affected batches or not since all the other info points to more recent toys (may this year onwards) and I've seen them still for sale recently. If I email Mattel do they give a serial number to check ?

catinthehat Tue 14-Aug-07 18:10:38

You'll find that the UK web site has nothing much more than a phone number, and they've clocked off at 5pm apparently. Even though the number was widely publicised on radio news broadcasts this evening. However I'm sure they have a team working urgently on e mails even as we speak, working out how they are going to sort out refunds.

Not.

LIZS Tue 14-Aug-07 18:21:57

This is Argos' PP list and Fisher price at top but think it may be the earlier one.

SlightlyMadSpider Tue 14-Aug-07 18:22:39

In the US, regarding the polypocket stuff they are recalling the things that have a magnet it. If you look at that lionk it goes into quite thorough details with pictures of whats affected and whats not. Basically anything which has a visible magnet. I am assuming that the same things will be recalled inthe UK but there may be differences in hte way the logistics of teh recall are handled

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now