Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I-candy cherry - anyone got one? What you think of it?

(25 Posts)
Minicooper Fri 10-Aug-07 16:32:24

We're looking at the cherry, but want to know what its like off-road. I like the sound of it being so light, but would non-inflatable wheels make it hard to push in the park or on the Downs? First time mum so complete pram novice!!!

NoviceKnitter Fri 10-Aug-07 16:55:30

I have it and am pleased so far - dd only 6 weeks old tho. been fine in park, on grass etc, but that's as off road as we've been . good luck!

andyrobo237 Fri 10-Aug-07 20:21:10

I have one too - 6 month old baby - great around town and ok on grass, but not sure it would be great off road (serious off road!!). The suspension is limited and you really need air tyres to do proper walking - but you pay a price for this - as in it will be heavier. When we have been on holiday (Center Parcs or Wales - we have used our three wheeler).

I would recommend asking for advice on a good pram / pushchair for off road walking -

I only got mine to do the school run really. But it is good that it aces both ways - we have a great chat while walking around!!

pamplemousse Sat 11-Aug-07 22:44:54

Hi mini, I have one and it is good on rough pavements (like in my local park where they seemed to spread the tarmac randomly) and it goes across park type grass and lawns well. It doesn't do well on anything very rough due to the smaller front wheels and lack of air tyres. I would say it is good for the park but may reserve judgment on the Downs - do you walk on the very lumpy chalky paths, or on the grass?
DD is 9 months old and we've had it since 5.5 months. I did break the front wheels whilst in a rage on the stony beach in Bexhill though, it ground out and I kept pushing.... Not a happy pushchair...., icandy were great though, sorted it within a week!
HTH

Minicooper Tue 14-Aug-07 10:21:11

Thanks for all your advice - think I need another look. Difficult to guage - don't want to spend a fortune on all terrain buggy if I end up just pushing it round the park and don't know if I'll have the energy to go for hikes when the LO arrives anyway! Other than the off-road question, are all of you pleased with it in general? Thanks.

NoviceKnitter Tue 14-Aug-07 13:10:44

Yes am pleased, esp as so light and easy to steer. Do find it a bit annoying that you have to detach the seat to fold. But I knew that I would and always intended that we would also buy a Maclaren when she's older for outings where an umbrella fold would make life easier.

pamplemousse Tue 14-Aug-07 22:32:50

Yes i love mine, a lot! It has an extremely useful large basket, light to steer, larger tyres for rough pavements, and parks etc, a comfy looking seat unit (haven't got the carrycot, but imagine its fine!) a good sized hood, easy to fit raincover and faces both ways, Ideal!

pamplemousse Tue 14-Aug-07 22:37:29

Poo sorry meant to say my only gripes are that I couldn't get the pretty broderie anglaise parasol i found the other day to stay on the frame (but i candy make their own ones), it doesn't fold in rear facing mode (I knew this before I got it though) and the raincover blows up over the hood a bit in rear facing mode in extremely high wind (only happened once but it wound me up beyond belief as babe was sleeping!!!!)

NoviceKnitter Wed 15-Aug-07 10:05:20

Pamplemousse - when you say it doesn't fold in rear facing position - does it fold in forward facing or do you still have to take seat off? We haven't got there yet as still at carrycot stage, which obviously you have to take off to fold.

I too was drawn by the fabulously large shopping basket. Only thing is with the carrycot a stand thing comes down and clilps onto basket to help keep cot stable, which makes it difficult to shove things into basket.

Apart from that, carry cot is great, she's v comfy in it, will sleep in it in the house, looks really nice, relatively small for getting through tighter corners, steers beautifully, very light and comes with raincover included - so many buggies you have to buy this extra.

Another plus is the frame fits with the Maxi Cosi Cabrio car seat - this has been a godsend.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

NoviceKnitter Wed 15-Aug-07 10:06:53

PS at the time I was researching this it was by far the lightest buggy that could have the LO facing both ways - this is it's biggest attraction IMO

FlameBatfink Wed 15-Aug-07 10:15:24

Eek... do NOT type i candy cherry into a search bar that just opens up the top page instantly

There is a young lady out there called candy cherry (I suspect it may not be her real name ) and she likes to show FAR too much of her body!!!

"Who's that lady mummy??"

NoviceKnitter Wed 15-Aug-07 10:23:15

Whoops

Try this icandyuk.com/cherry.htm

pamplemousse Wed 15-Aug-07 20:41:28

Oops! Will try folding it forward facing for you when dp gets home, its in the boot of the car...

Minicooper Thu 16-Aug-07 15:14:47

Just went and had a look at the Cherry. We like it a lot, but so difficult to predict what your needs are going to be after the LO arrives! The woman in the shop was hard-selling the Bugaboo, but at about 330pounds more, we'd have to do a lot of off-road to justify the price difference... Ah, well, I foresee another evening of debate ahead!!!

pamplemousse Thu 16-Aug-07 22:02:59

Hmm hard selling annoys me, and would make me more inclined to buy the Cherry! I can't see what the Bugaboo has that the cherry does not, although I'm sure someone will correct me...
Just tried folding it forward facing, its possible but awkward. It takes about 2 seconds to whip the seat unit off anyway so I will continue to do this I think, there's also no way on earth it would fit in my car folded like that, and I have a huge estate. It stands up OK in the hall though.
Hope that helps.
I know what you mean about not knowing what you want, I changed my pushchair once dd was 6 months old and had a huge list of must haves. When I was pregnant I was bit like 'are they all fairly similar, have wheels and carry the baby?'.
Any more q's fire away!

used2bthin Thu 16-Aug-07 22:17:18

I have just got the cherry for 11m old DD. Love it so far, so light to steer. The raincover thing tho! So annoying! Going to but some table cloth weight things to hold it on. Don't know where from but am told such things exist!

pamplemousse Fri 17-Aug-07 10:24:46

Ha, thats an idea used2bthin.... I was thinking of a velcro spot or something attached to the hood. So its not just me that walks in gale force rainy and wind then?!!

preggersagain Fri 17-Aug-07 10:30:20

do a quick search on mn for the icandy cherry- there has been some reliability issues, i think it was littleduck who had it sent back about 4 times!

It is much lighter than the apple which is a plus! but i am slightly concerned at the number of problems people have had with them- it may have just been the first wave of them when they were first released though! Just make sure you buy it from a decent retailer who won't fob you off if there is a problem!

Minicooper Fri 17-Aug-07 11:36:09

Well, finally made a decision and ordered the Cherry this morning - then saw warnings from preggersagain! Littleduck does seem to have had some problems, but her shop don't seem to have been too helpful, so I'm hoping its more of a one-off. Am I deluding myself?! Hope not as the system seems to do what we want it to do and we're pleased with it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

alycat Fri 17-Aug-07 11:55:05

I had the icandy apple. Which I bought after much advice from Daisy and Tom. I explained that I would be seriously off roading, no pavements where I live and taking accross fields to feed my ponies. Can't have a traditional 3 wheeler as must have hammocks/reclined seats and DS has SN and needs more support.

It was rubbish on my rabbit holed fields, kept tipping. Great in the park, town etc.

After 2 weeks of use I got a full refund, mud and all!

It was a fab pushchair with so many practical features, the MD of Icandy was so helpful and polite - even told me to hurry and take it back as D&T were closing down that branch.

I wish it had been suitable. Good luck with yours.

Minicooper Fri 17-Aug-07 12:07:56

Thanks, alycat, what did you end up going for? Just in case I buy a pony and move to a farm!lol! Interested to know which off-roader worked for you.

alycat Fri 17-Aug-07 19:42:34

I have a second hand Multipla AT, a four big wheeled Air tyred chunky thing from Bebecar.

Had a new one but MIL reversed over it on drive and it went wonky, have stopped making the same chassis (of course) so found one in local paper for £35!! Although doesn't have the handy hinged front bar like my old one - so I don't rule out another purcase. I have a serious collection, despite giving some away.

Faces either way, man enough for fields but heavy to put in car.

alycat Fri 17-Aug-07 19:47:18

I have a second hand Multipla AT, a four big wheeled Air tyred chunky thing from Bebecar.

Had a new one but MIL reversed over it on drive and it went wonky, have stopped making the same chassis (of course) so found one in local paper for £35!! Although doesn't have the handy hinged front bar like my old one - so I don't rule out another purcase. I have a serious collection, despite giving some away.

Faces either way, man enough for fields but heavy to put in car. I have tried friends mountain buggy and a land rover one, great on fields (only 3 wheelers with huge tyres are stable enough) but not enough support in hammock seat.

Just incase you move to a farm

alycat Fri 17-Aug-07 19:47:59

ohh that was strange, two diff messages

used2bthin Sat 18-Aug-07 15:26:34

No pamplemousse I do it too! Although actually it seems to do it at the smallest bit of wind. Will let you know if I manage to find table cloth pegs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now