Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So how many clothes does a newborn NEED?

(35 Posts)
AspirationalToiletries Thu 09-Aug-07 19:13:18

(You all answered the last qustion I asked so sensibly that I am back for more...)

So BabyToiletries is nearly here and I am going through the 'stuff for your hospital bag' checklist from the NCT antenatal class.

Now, we had looked at the lists in the Mothercare catalogue etc, did a little shopping and have the recommended 7 vests, 7 sleepsuits, 2 cardigans, hat and blanket.

The NCT list is saying to allow 3 vests and 3 sleepsuits a day. A day.
Is this right? Are they being absurdly generous or have I shopped stingily?
Do I need more?
Do I wash everything every night to wear again the next day?
Do I start shopping like a mad thing?
Do I trust that people will give us more clothes?

I can feel myself losing my grip here, just as I thought I had everything under control (sheets on moses basket, abstract Modernist mobile, newly-painted nursery...)

[there is no 'wailing' emoticon...]

MyTwopenceworth Thu 09-Aug-07 19:16:58

ok, my first got changed every time he got so much as a dribble on him, so about 3-5 times in every 24 hours on average. I had about 30 sleepsuits, plus a few dozen cardies, lots of pods, hats..

my second got clean clothes when what he was wearing got so crusty it became impossible to bend him any more!

Nbg Thu 09-Aug-07 19:18:24

I was once told this

"One on, one off and one in the wash"

But IME, I have only ever had to change newborns twice at the most in a day.
They dont do anything except drink, poo and sleep.
So unless they puke alot your not really going to be doing any changes.

But better to be safe than sorry.
IME, get yourself yo Asda or Tesco and buy cheap packs of newborn suits as they'll only be in them a week or two max.

MyTwopenceworth Thu 09-Aug-07 19:18:29

oops, forgot to actually answer your question!

7/7/2 is plenty.

moondog Thu 09-Aug-07 19:20:07

Babygros
All in one vests
Cardigans

That's it......

kevinsmother Thu 09-Aug-07 19:23:26

depends how often you can be bothered doing the washing

loads of sleepsuits and vests and nothing else

borrow them off someone else if possible

AspirationalToiletries Thu 09-Aug-07 19:23:44

MyTwopenceworth, what's a pod?
And when it's this warm do they really need a vest and a sleepsuit on? Or is it one or the other? And the hat?

[oh the shame, I am such a neophyte]

flowerybeanbag Thu 09-Aug-07 19:26:12

DS wears one vest plus outfit/babygro during the day, and one vest plus sleepsuit/without if too hot at night.
Have enough so you have plenty of vests etc, you don't want to be continually worrying about is washing dry yet. I would get another pack of 7 vests, not sleepsuits though.
Get 0-3 months not newborn, doesn't matter if vests are a bit big.
People will buy you more clothes, probably so many BabyT won't wear all of them. Keep the tags on some and swap them for the next size up, that way he/she will have nice outfits for longer.

Wilkie Thu 09-Aug-07 19:26:30

My DS had reflux so I had to get quite a lot more than that!!!

I would also recommend romper suits (sleep suits without long sleeves and feet) cos I felt like my DS was dressed for be all the time in a sleepsuit and I didn't want to put anything elasticated around his tummy (i.e. trouser waistbands) when he was a squidge.

I used to wash every other day.

Prob got through what NCT recommends TBH cos of the puke!!!!!!!

bookthief Thu 09-Aug-07 19:28:54

Hmm, depends on your washing/drying facilities and nappy changing skills.

Personally, as I don't have a tumble drier, ds was born in November and dh and I had a particularly long learning curve when it came to changing nappies before the poo shot out the sides, we did have a run-out-of-vests crisis in the early days.

Luckily my mum was able to make a mercy-dash to my sil's on the way over to visit one night so ds didn't have to spend too long in a 0-3 with the arms rolled up (whew!).

Of course, now I've got bags of the things that no longer fit... I found that newborn fitted my very averagely sized ds for about 6 weeks btw. Didn't buy any "real" outfits as newborns look soooo cute in sleepsuits.

7 sounds about right though, even if you have to do a quick rinse and hang out every couple of days.

lljkk Thu 09-Aug-07 19:32:18

Buy some pairs socks and 2 wooly hats or sun bonnet, too.

People will probably give you heaps more clothes, only buy basics to start with.

I am planning on 6/6/2-3 for next baby. I don't mind a bit of wee/milk or even (gasp) trace of poo left behind on vests, though.

I like newborn sizes because they insulate small babies better than 0-3 size (and also help hold nappies in place). Even my "long" 8lb+10oz baby still fit comfortably in newborn size for 2 weeks.

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 19:35:31

I would go for more than seven vests and sleepsuits for sure. Especially if breastfeeding. Very leaky poo IME. Got through three a day EASY with both of mine.

But you will also be given loads when the baby is born, so I wouldn't worry.

AspirationalToiletries Thu 09-Aug-07 19:35:52

woolly hats? really?
will cotton t-shirty ones not do?
a sunbonnet?
[writes list]

you may have a point on the socks though if it's too warm to be in a sleepsuit with feet - is it true that Gap ones fall off least or is that just another old wives' tale?

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 19:36:05

LOL at trace of poo....

Gingerbear Thu 09-Aug-07 19:37:17

Depends if you have a puker or not.
My DS is changed 3 times per day plus half a dozen bibs.

MaloryTowersHasManners Thu 09-Aug-07 19:38:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 19:39:03

No. All socks fall off. Those little daisy root things keep them on, but won't fit a newborn. But you won't mind constantly putting them back on to begin with...

Wilkie Thu 09-Aug-07 19:39:19

BTW - I personally think Matalan are excellent for vests/sleepsuits and really really reasonable. Quality is excellent and they wash well.

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 19:39:36

OK. Now thinking mine were abnormally explosive....

MaloryTowersHasManners Thu 09-Aug-07 19:40:21

MaloryTowersHasManners Thu 09-Aug-07 19:41:20

JARM Thu 09-Aug-07 19:43:51

ive gone a bit mad on this one because it will be my first boy after 2 girls - have bought as much as poss in blue! (did stagger over NB/0-3 and 3-6 though!)

I think 8/8/2 would be about right, but depends how often you want to wash.

With 2 toddler girls about, I have to wash every day so shouldnt be too much of a problem here.

Also expecting winter baby so tumble dryer will be in full swing.

Asda/Tescos are good for basics, and DH can always pop out and get anything you are running short on.

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 19:45:25

Mine weren't pukers but by God they could (over)fill a nappy...

ProjectSeverus Thu 09-Aug-07 19:47:48

Gap and next triple rollover socks don't fall off. All others do.

My second fitted newborn for two weeks she was 55cm.

Little babies look like waifs in clothes too big though so I loved them fitting even though they didn't last long.

First baby so you will probably have time to dress them in the cute outfits that people insist on buying you with many buttons and that need ironed. I would think 6 vests and 6 sleepsuits. People will give you loads of stuff.

How useful it is is a different matter entirely.

(make sure you have a fair few changes too. Considering how many pics are being taken it is quite new too look half decent.)

<vain>

ProjectSeverus Thu 09-Aug-07 19:49:52

BF babies far more likely to be explosive in the bum department btw.

<top tip - if the vest is covered in poo slide the baby's arms out the neck and take it off down the way.>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now