Talk

Advanced search

Travel system/pushchair search for new parents!

(8 Posts)
NewDad78 Wed 08-Aug-07 15:02:42

We are expecting our first baby in November and have started the confusing search for a pushchair. Has anyone got the Mutsy 4 rider light with the Traveller Car seat. We would be very interested to know if it's as light and easy to use as the website says it is.

Also curious if the Lie flat car seat is suitable as a substitute for the carrycot when out and about.

Thanks,

Ben and Heather

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 08-Aug-07 15:03:45

does the car seat fit your car?

MrsBadger Wed 08-Aug-07 15:11:53

I bet LadyVictoria will be along in a minute to ask exactly the same questions as me...

Do you really need a travel system ie will you be using the carseat onto the chassis regularly (bearing in mind that they shouldn;t stay in a non-lie-flat carseat for longer than an hour or two anyway)?
It's often better to find a safe carseat that will fit your car properly and get a completely seperate pushchair.

And I guess you know that using a lie-flat carseat flat in the car where the baby's restrained by a waist belt rather than a 3 or 5 point harness is significantly less safe than a rear-facing seat...

Also bear in mind the carseat or carrycot will probably be heavier than the seat unit and will bump up the weight of the puschair a bit.

As alternatives have you looked at the Hauk Infinity / Mothercare Maui?

MrsBadger Wed 08-Aug-07 15:19:13

...and after all that she beat me to it

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 08-Aug-07 15:22:21

btw i looove the mutsy light rider. its fiddly to fold down but ok once you gett he hang of it (like any buggy really)

NewDad78 Thu 09-Aug-07 13:40:06

We haven't seen the 4 rider light in the shops yet, going to test it for ourselves next weekend. The lie flat car seat will only be an option if rear facing and with 5 point harness as you say.

The Mothercare Maui is also on our shortlist. The extra weight compared to the Mutsy puts it at a disadvantage but we'll see.

So difficult trying to find the perfect travel solution!

MrsBadger Thu 09-Aug-07 15:23:59

tbh weight is only really an issue when you're lifting it in and out of the boot / on and off buses etc - pushability is the clincher.
A heavy buggy may push better (hence feel 'lighter') than one that is physically lighter but less nice to push.
Eg Maclaren MX3 - 9.8kg, dream to push
M&P Pliko Pramette - 9kg, rattly little bugger to push
(my opinion only, you understand )

LadyVictoriaOfCake Thu 09-Aug-07 15:33:18

can you borrow a toddler to push them in the buggy? because pushing a toddler is a lot different to pushing a newborn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now