Talk

Advanced search

How much do you pay for two pillows? How long do you expect them to last?

(23 Posts)
roisin Tue 07-Aug-07 16:31:34

We had lovely pillows in our cottage on holiday, and the boys are complaining about their flat manky ones. I'm just contemplating how much is reasonable to spend.

Does the amount you spend seriously affect how long they last?

.. and how long should they last anyway?!

CountessDracula Tue 07-Aug-07 16:32:19

feather or synthetic
the M&S silk ones are the best synthetics
really gorgeous
and last for ever
and get more comfy with use

massivebigpantsface Tue 07-Aug-07 16:33:37

after we had lovely pillows in a holiday cottage last year we bought new ones from debenhams at £20 each and they were still shite and lumpy after a month or so!

nomdeplume Tue 07-Aug-07 16:33:37

I think the lifespan of a pillow is more down to the minging sweat/drool/skin that they pick up rather than fluffiness.

I dont buy £££ ones and they prob last about 12mo before I think they are too gross to keep !

CountessDracula Tue 07-Aug-07 16:34:24

here

nomdeplume Tue 07-Aug-07 16:34:41

If you do buy £££ ones then mke sure you can wash them on a boil wash as pillows get really unhygenic (as per earlier post)

BettySpaghetti Tue 07-Aug-07 16:40:32

Dunlopillo ones at about £20 are great -they stay fat and squidgy.

I bought some new standard pillows the other day for guests and couldn't believe how crap and thin they were in comparison despite being brand new

roisin Tue 07-Aug-07 16:43:04

Hmmm...

Dh/ds2 need synthetics, not down, because of lungs/asthma etc.

When I look at the £30 for 2 pillows, I can't help thinking that I could buy 10x that of el cheapo pillows for that, and just change them every few months!

CD I need to know what is "for ever" - a year? 2 years? 5 years?

NDP I always buy pillow protectors, which I guess cuts down on that?

Whenever I've tried washing pillows (washable ones) they've gone all lumpy and horrible.

How often do you wash pillows?

CountessDracula Tue 07-Aug-07 16:44:58

well the oldest ones we have had for about 8 years, they are the most comfy

err
not sure we do wash them

massivebigpantsface Tue 07-Aug-07 16:48:49

best pillow we have is a Dorma, which I got for £6 in debenhams sale, they only had one though! Its is 6 months old and is still really fat and plump but dh bags it as his own

iota Tue 07-Aug-07 16:57:43

we buy them from John Lewis

down and feather for dh

microfibre for me as I have asthma

both are washable, but I use pillow protectors (thick cotton ones) as well

roisin Tue 07-Aug-07 17:07:45

Eight years? Crikey Moses!

FluffyMummy123 Tue 07-Aug-07 17:08:05

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Tue 07-Aug-07 17:09:01

well they just get more and more comfortable as they go on

We have protectors too

NOw
I never wash thme because it says you have to do in a big machine at laundrette and i can't be arsed to take them there, do you all wash in your own macines?

FluffyMummy123 Tue 07-Aug-07 17:09:59

Message withdrawn

nomdeplume Tue 07-Aug-07 17:10:23

I keep mine for around 12mo and wash them once (so I suppose I wash when they are 6mo old)

nomdeplume Tue 07-Aug-07 17:11:29

Ewwww cod, my DH has recently started the sweaty head thing. It honks, I call it 'horsing the bed', it smells lime I've spent the night next to Mr Ed

<boak>

His head never used to sweat

FluffyMummy123 Tue 07-Aug-07 17:11:52

Message withdrawn

pammo Tue 07-Aug-07 20:19:10

Another vote for Dunlopillo's - my mother is generally right about household products and on the occasions when I've bought another pillow brand, I've regretted it, Pity I cannot afford to replace all my bedlinen with ones of the 600 thread variety!

ChasingSquirrels Tue 07-Aug-07 20:37:08

I hate big pillows and love flat ones, so £2/3 for two and hate the first week when they are big

ChasingSquirrels Tue 07-Aug-07 20:37:08

I hate big pillows and love flat ones, so £2/3 for two and hate the first week when they are big

Dh's pillow is 10+ years old and never been washed . I have a new special pillow due to neck pain.

cece Tue 07-Aug-07 20:47:12

I keep them till they turn smelly/yellow then chuck out and buy new.

I got two for £6.70 in Tesco the other day for DH.. His pillows are not nice after a while so his are replaced more frequently.

I tried washing some once and they just went lumpy and unuseable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now