Talk

Advanced search

What product to strengthen/beautify my nails?

(5 Posts)
roisin Tue 07-Aug-07 10:07:39

Somehow after 30+ years I've stopped biting my nails
I grew them last term, shaped and polished them. But they kept breaking fairly regularly.

What can I do to stop this happening?

thelady Tue 07-Aug-07 10:40:34

OK: several options, but all are sloooooooooooow.

Check you're getting enough nail-making protein in your diet (especially sulphur-rich amino acids e.g. eggs).

Check you're not using an acetone-based polish remover (completely knackers nails).

Check you're wearing gloves when dealing with dishes, cleaning, gardening etc. as wet nails break more easily, and if yours are soft already it won't help.

Don't overuse those huge emery boards that 'polish' nails as each time you use them, they are removing a thin layer of nail....

Nails grow slowly, so any diet changes won't take effect for several months. In the meantime, you could try wearing a colourless nail enamel just to give them extra strength, and running the brush under the tip of the nail to protect the end.

HTH.

roisin Tue 07-Aug-07 13:54:42

Thank you
I don't like wearing gloves for anything

Piggy Tue 07-Aug-07 13:56:52

Try one of the Sally Hansen products (there are loads of them). The diamond nail polish stuff is very good and there are also lots of nail strenghteners. I usually have really good nails but occasionally they need a bit of a boost. Sally Hansen does the job.

roisin Tue 07-Aug-07 15:55:56

Thanks Piggy - I'll look out for them in town tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now