Talk

Advanced search

anyone got a calin bleu cool gauze sling and are they pleased?

(13 Posts)
NoviceKnitter Mon 06-Aug-07 11:29:25

another sling enqiry... We've got a kari-me which is a bit hot now this heatwave has descended. fancy the cool gauze but it's quite pricey. is it really cooler and is it comfy for babe and mum? of course, if i order the rain will be back before it arrives...

lailasmum Mon 06-Aug-07 11:32:30

I found the same with my kari me. They are great for cooler weather. Also the Ellaroo wrap slings are a lighter weight fabric. I remember having a conversation with someone about this about a year ago so that might be an alternative.

NoviceKnitter Mon 06-Aug-07 11:36:26

i was part of a thread about cooler slings when pregnant but the cool gauze wasn't out yet then so just wondered if anyone had tried. do the ellaroos have any stretch to them? I also find the kari me squidges dd alot. She loves it but it makes me nervous about her breathing. did you find that? so far of course she's been fine though...

maveta Mon 06-Aug-07 11:39:06

I specifically bought this sling because I live in Spain and wanted a light fabric that would see me through the hot months. The fabric itself is light but there´s 4.5metres of it! So by the time you´ve wrapped that around I found it very hot. But I´m in Spain, I really should have considered that in July here you don´t even want to wear clothes, much less have a baby strapped to your body!

How old is your baby? Mine was newborn when I tried it out but I saw a mum recently with an 8 months old and because her baby was that much bigger, there was much less extra fabric just hanging around. I did find it very comfy and ds seemed really comfortable in it.

I did buy it after a few recommendations on here, including one girl who said she´d carried her baby all summer on the london tube wearing one! so seems like it might work for UK weather.

Have been thinking of selling mine so if you do decide you´d like to give it a whirl, let me know.

lailasmum Mon 06-Aug-07 11:44:51

The ellaroos are woven rather than stretchy so you get support in a different way. There is a tiny bit of give but its generally more supportive but sort of more fixed in what ever tightness you tie it where as the kari me slings tend to stretch and move once you have tied them, particularly if you have just washed them.I wouldn't be nervous about the kari me and breathing the fabric has a lot more give than you think it has.

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 11:51:15

I bought one in anticipation (BadgerCub due in a couple of weeks) and it is lighter weigth fabric than other wrap slings, esp if you've been looking at fleece ones but Maveta does have a point about the vast acreage of fabric.
If you can put up with the asymmetry (ie having most of the weight on one shoulder) I wonder if a woven pouch or ring sling might actually be cooler.

maveta Mon 06-Aug-07 12:05:37

by the way, I´ve just realised there´s still a photo on my profile of me wearing ds in the calin bleu sling if that gives you a better idea of what it looks like on.

(and I am just trying to help, not trying to convince you, I´m not even sure I want to sell it yet! )

NoviceKnitter Mon 06-Aug-07 13:18:21

Thanks Maveta. I've already ordered a pouch sling but it's taking a while to arrive. MrsBadger you're prob right about pouches. Given the copious fabric issue think I should prob wait and see how i get on with that before splashing out on yet another sling. would be good if they did a newborn one, wouldn't it, with less fabric. But it does look like the calin bleu it supports LO well Maveta. As you know from car seat thread I'm a bit paranoid about constricted airways, and the kari-me seems to let DD become very folded up very easily. Hmm. If you decide to sell let me know how much you want. Maybe I'll become a sling shopaholic after all!
ps dd is 5 weeks so still very tiny, and me still learning

maveta Mon 06-Aug-07 15:49:26

lol, are we ever going to stop learning?! seems like as soon as you have one thing under control something else pops up to worry about!

Good luck with your new sling, I´ll let you know if I do decide to sell mine..

maveta Tue 07-Aug-07 13:13:28

NoviceKnitter - I went and dug the sling out this morning and gave it another whirl and I was actually really pleased with it. I think now he´s that wee bit bigger there´s already loads less extra fabric flapping around and actually the gauze is pretty thin. Don´t think I´ll sell it just yet after all! What I would say is that I think it´s also cooler because he´s now holding his head up so isn´t as buried into my body and that obviously cuts the extra heat. Maybe better for when your one is a little older?

NoviceKnitter Tue 07-Aug-07 15:10:20

Thanks! My bright spark pouch arrived today. Haven't tried it yet but hoping it will fit the bill. Took her out in the kari-me today and she gradually seemed to slide down (back towards womb level!) Not sure I'm putting it on right tbh - prob doing it too loose or something. Anyway, she seems very happy in it and had a really good sleep. I'll let you know how the pouch goes!

NoviceKnitter Wed 08-Aug-07 15:53:12

hi - just thought I'd post an update on my new pouch sling - so far so brilliant! dd loves it and watched with pure newborn wonder has I brushed my teeth with the electric toothbrush this morning. i've been able to potter around having a tidy for the first time since she was born. and it's in a very light cotton - perfect for this heat. haven't mastered it handsfree yet but early days. oh and she had a lovely nap in it too. Highly recommended for mums whose babies don't like to be put down. Hurrah

maveta Thu 09-Aug-07 15:44:55

Oh I´m really pleased! Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now