Talk

Advanced search

Maxi-Cosi Cabrio car seat-when to take out newborn support?

(103 Posts)
BalletMum Sun 05-Aug-07 20:51:41

Wondered if anyone knew the recommended age/weight you take the newborn support out. If not when did you take it out?

NoviceKnitter Sun 05-Aug-07 21:28:19

I was wondering same thing as my 5 week old seems very slumped in it and also her feet already over edge. checked instructions today and it says 3-4 months. how old is your dc and how are you finding it?

BalletMum Sun 05-Aug-07 21:35:49

Oh, thanks missed that in the instructions. DD is fifteen weeks so no wonder I feel like I am cramming her head into the head support Apart from that I am really happy with seat. No problems with feet and my dd is very long but I do remember her going through a stage when I thought she looked slumped in the seat but not for long...(sadly growing too fast)

vesela Mon 06-Aug-07 07:58:04

Thanks too - I had no idea it was so early. DD is 4 1/2 months (63cm) and I thought it was looking a bit small...

Katy44 Mon 06-Aug-07 08:10:48

I did a few weeks ago (DS 14 weeks) as his feet were hanging over the end.
I checked the instructions and it said you can still use the head support which I'd like to do, but it's all in one - does anyone know what they're talking about? Am I meant to separate them?

Egypt Mon 06-Aug-07 08:24:21

i'd like to know the answer to that too katy

NoviceKnitter Mon 06-Aug-07 09:31:47

Hi all - I just checked the instructions again and it says 4-5 months not 3-4 sorry - brain not working very well yet. It says remove the seating filling block but you can still use the head support. So yes, I guess, separate them. Really sorry for misinformation! again.

Just checked my car seat and see the filling block and head support are very connected so instructions don't really make sense. I'd speak to John Lewis, or to the manufacturer. Or buy something called a Cuddle Soft which has similar head supports in two sizes.

Good luck let us know if you find anything out

By the way, did anyone else feel their baby was very slumped in it early doors? I love the car seat but worry about her breathing sometimes. Prob just new mum paranoia though...

Katy44 Mon 06-Aug-07 09:53:39

As it's not just me being stupid I might contact maxi cosi and see what they say.
I'll let you know

maveta Mon 06-Aug-07 12:01:05

NoviceKnitter - I felt ds was really slumped in it for ages and to be honest we just tried to avoid taking him anywhere in the car unless necessary. Bit drastic and if you have to drive then that ahrdly helps but we weren´t very happy about how uncomfortable he looked and in fact he didn´t tolerate being in it very long before complaining loudly! Now at 3 months he is fine although we do still use the head support.

trixymalixy Mon 06-Aug-07 12:11:27

In my maxi cosi the headhugger and seat block were connected with velcro.

I took the block out when DS was about 4 months, but still use the headhugger at 6 months.

ladymac Mon 06-Aug-07 12:29:43

I took it out really early as dd3 used to cry and always turned her face in to it, which looked really uncomfortable. She was much happier without it.

ladymac Mon 06-Aug-07 12:33:36

Balletmum, dd3 is 18 weeks and I think I took it out at least 10 weeks ago. I just laid the car seat back a bit further so her head didn't loll to one side!

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Aug-07 12:51:13

have just looked at DS's Cabrio, was brand new for him. The head support and extra seat pad thingy are all joined together and I can't remove seat thing without head support but DS is hanging out the bottom of the seat and is getting v unhappy in it, but I wouldn't be happy about having no head support at the moment.
He is 12 weeks and 15lb.

Smittals Mon 06-Aug-07 12:55:58

As well as the seat pad, there is a separate seat adjuster that you access via the flip down panel on the back of the seat (i.e. the little storage box). This makes the seat deeper for bigger babies...I forgot it existed for quite a while, just thought I had an amazingly big baby who'd outgrown her seat already!!

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Aug-07 12:56:43

<<goes to have a look>>

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Aug-07 12:59:59

have found flip down thing at the back, can't see how I could adjust the seat to make it bigger for DS.

May have to rummage for instructions...

NoviceKnitter Mon 06-Aug-07 13:11:54

ladymac, sorry if stupid question, but how did you get carseat to lay back further? If that was poss would help with my head slumping issues I think.

NoviceKnitter Mon 06-Aug-07 13:21:10

(or I could of course summon courage to face my instruction dyslexia and wade through small print again...

BalletMum Mon 06-Aug-07 13:38:38

Thank you all, so glad to hear it is not just me with problems. I agree with Maveta as my dd was really unhappy in the seat until recently. Had no idea you could adjust the seat so will look into that. I know I can not lean my seat back more as I have the isofix base.

BalletMum Mon 06-Aug-07 13:39:47

Just looked at my seat and no I can not see how I would adjust the seat at all. Will phone Maxi-cosi and post....!

BalletMum Mon 06-Aug-07 14:03:53

Whilst holding for maxi-cosi to pick up phone have worked out solution to headhugger thing. There is a wedge shaped piece of foam which comes out the side of the body support. You can then still use headhugger but have plenty more room. Difficult to see at first but comes out like a pillow from a pillowcase IYSWIM No adjustments can be made at the back unless I have totally missed a page on the instructions!!

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Aug-07 14:05:20

<<goes to have another peek>>

ladymac Mon 06-Aug-07 14:25:08

Novice, you can't do it if you have isofix. I don't have that, so just lay it back further, which only works in the car.

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Aug-07 14:30:22

ooh yes, seat pad comes out the side.

Oooh...

BirdyArms Mon 06-Aug-07 14:36:51

Thanks for this thread, poor old ds2 is 5mths and is still having his head crammed into the head support. He's not particularly big but I'm sure he's going to be very pleased when I take it away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now