Talk

Advanced search

conservatory blinds - what type do you have in yours and how do you rate them?

(21 Posts)
ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 17:19:06

need to buy some ourselves and could do with some advice.

tia

ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 21:06:14

bump

ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 21:30:25

oh please...

is this too boring a question or does no one have a conservatory / or blinds in them?

grovel grovel

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 21:42:13

lol.

i am dullerama tonight. i can talk blinds

they are jolly very expensive - had you noticed??

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 21:46:41

we have some on the roof which are the concertina type (look like an accordian iykwim), dunno proper term... they are nice enough. but dont half trap the flies. looks a bit gross, that.

have recently had a quote in from Grants conservatory blinds. very lovely n all, but ouch, pricey for blinds i thought.
also used Hillarys for some other (normal) blinds about a year ago and they were v pricey i thought for much less choice/options than i had assumed one got for that sorta money.

have ordered shutter blinds now for the vertical windows int he conservatory from Chic Shutters. more expensive than blinds but i figure they last longer and at least they look like they ought to cost a bit IYSWIM, a bit more... substantial.

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 21:47:22

i think thats it. about all i can muster up to say about them .
was it enough?

ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 22:01:53

can you link to the shutter blinds?

i thought about getting ordinary vertical blinds but didn't know if this was a no no or not... i want the blinds for a wee bit of privacy as our back is quite open. so for this reason i didn't think the pull down ones (roller or concertina) would be any good as they are either down or up iyswim...

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 22:07:26

http://www.chicshutters.co.uk/

i personally dislike vertical blinds.

do you mean, that youd like the light to come in, but not be visible? in which case you can get quite sheer blinds, i should imagine. or even buy yourself a vast roll of muslin and drape it over some curtain poles (or just stick it up with drawing pins)

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 22:08:07

as for the vewrticals being a no no... sod it, its your house! if you like em, get em.

ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 22:09:29

thanks for that... you've given me some food for thought.

ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 22:10:07

shutters look very swish!

nomdeplume Sun 05-Aug-07 22:14:01

what about that privacy film stuff ?

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 22:14:29

happy to be of service

really, i think the whole 'conservatory blinds' industry is a right ole rip-off. fine if you have plenty of money, but just seems crazily overpriced to me.

and i really think you can use your imagination and come up with nicer, more personal alternatives. if you go a few big fabric shops and have a look at stuff and see what it costs on the roll... are you any good at hemming? if not, a seamstress or mender could maybe run the hems up for you... you could use some gorgeous sari fabric for example... hang in panels... skys the limit.

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 22:15:38

good point ndp. am about to give that stuff a go in the glazed panels of the bathroom doors...

ja9 Sun 05-Aug-07 22:19:49

i think that privacy film stuff got really bad reviews on previous mn threads iirc...

nomdeplume Sun 05-Aug-07 22:20:15

www.brume.co.uk

www.purlfrost.co.uk

both good sites for window film.

nomdeplume Sun 05-Aug-07 22:21:09

I have heard bad things about the 'frosting' spray. It's a faking nightmare. But the better quality films are pretty good.

nomdeplume Sun 05-Aug-07 22:21:24

farking, not faking

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 22:26:04

have you used, ndp? i am about to order from Brume...

nomdeplume Sun 05-Aug-07 22:28:14

no personally, but I know people who have and were very pleased. It is a bit of a fiddle to get on (apparently washing up liquid is the key to avoiding bubbles), but once it is on it looks pretty effective..

TranquilaManana Sun 05-Aug-07 22:30:22

oh good. feel cheered by that.
yes, have heard that about the washing up liquid.
have to get off arse and choose designs/order the bloody stuff now [issues with motivation]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: