Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a 'safe' in-car dvd player

(16 Posts)
ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 14:14:56

Recently read a newspaper article (sorry no link) about how dangerous in-car dvd players can be in an accident. The velcro webbing easily comes undone and injuries are caused by the dvd player making contact with the passenger. I seem to remember that the tests (done on a crash test dummy) caused really serious injury at a very low speed.
Has anyone heard of a dvd player that is safer or are they all fixed to the car in the same way. We have to have a portable one because its a company car so we can't fix anything permanently.

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 18:56:18

Bump

lilolilmanchester Thu 02-Aug-07 20:13:32

Ours fit in hoods which go over the back of the headrest and seems so much more secure than the straps. Bad news is we got it last year and I can't find it on the internet from the store we bought it from. It's in the boot of our car and DH is out at the mo, will check make and model number when he gets back.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Thu 02-Aug-07 20:16:14

In car DVD players...

What is wrong with them looking out the windows and playing I spy ???

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 20:24:12

Nothing at all Bree. That is exactly what we've done for the last 9 years.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Thu 02-Aug-07 20:31:47

So keep it up.

Seriously we are getting to a stage where we are worried that our children might be bored..............Boredom is good for them.

lilolilmanchester Thu 02-Aug-07 20:39:23

Nothing at all's wrong with your suggestion, Bree, except 10 hours in a car is an awful lot of word games, i-spy and looking out of the window. Have you done that? If so, would welcome your advice as to how to keep 2 kids occupied for that long. We rationed the DVDs so that they did other things as well, in the same way we ration TV at home. Will do the same this holiday, will be spending similar amount of time travelling too.

peggotty Thu 02-Aug-07 20:49:20

In-car dvd players are an absolute godsend!! May not be a bad thing for children to get bored sometimes but is a very bad thing for them to get bored whilst trapped with me in a very small space for a very long time!!

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 21:01:58

That's exactly why we're considering getting one

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Thu 02-Aug-07 21:03:09

Ok Ok ten hours........... You win.

Twiglett Thu 02-Aug-07 21:14:22

we're driving from London to Ireland and back .. I am seriously considering getting one

<stick that in yer pipe Bree >

Haylstones Thu 02-Aug-07 21:19:19

Ours attaches to the front seat headrest in two places- round the headrest and also round the metal rods that attach it to the seat iyswim. Ours isn't velcro, it's one of those snappy clip things (does anyone know what I mean?!)and it's really secure, I doubt it would come undone in a crash. We have a case that it goes in before attaching. Think it depends on how you attach it to the seat.
Fwiw, we regularly drive 7 hours+ and it keeps dd occupied- better than than a whining toddler imo. She doesn't watch it the whole time, just when she gets bored

Haylstones Thu 02-Aug-07 21:21:02

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5343896.htm we have this 'gadget case'

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 21:21:10

Haylstones - do you know the make so I can google? Sounds the kind of thing we're after.

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 21:22:14

Thanks x-posts!

SlightlyMadSpider Thu 02-Aug-07 21:24:27

We have a goodmans twins screen. The main unit attatches with the clips you get on supermarket trolleys - like Haylestones describes.

I think the 2nd monitor attatches with a combination of clips (2 straps) and velcro (one strap)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now