Talk

Advanced search

Been done to death but which lightweight buggy for a 5 month old?

(16 Posts)
evenhope Wed 01-Aug-07 20:10:29

I need a lightweight buggy to take on holiday that will fit in the boot of my Smart Forfour. DD will only be 5 months, which seems to discount most of the lightest cheapest ones.

We have a Silver Cross linear sleepover so I don't want to go into the expensive ranges- it needs to be as cheap as possible.

Biggest problem is the lack of actual shops so we can check the fit. The Mclaren Triumph seems to fit the bill and just fits in the boot. Any opinions on this buggy? Any recommendations?

pinkspottywellies Wed 01-Aug-07 21:28:35

We have one like this.
Really pleased with it. It folds to a square shape - I don't know specifics but it goes in the footwell behind our drivers seat in a family saloon. Light but sturdy. It's for 6 months and over but I guess you have to make the call on if it's ok for 5 months based on how well they sit up and how long they'll be in it at a time etc. It does have 2 seat positions - lays back a little bit.
Hope you find one you like.

Sexonlegs Wed 01-Aug-07 21:31:45

Hi there, my dd2 is 3 months and we are using a Maclaren Techno, which lies flat, and also (obviously) sits upright. I love it. It is light, and folds up like the usual maclarens. We got ours from ebay. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

moljam Wed 01-Aug-07 21:35:36

maclaren quest.its fantastic,did everything i needed and looked quite smart too

Biglips Wed 01-Aug-07 21:37:49

ive got the maclaren Xp techno.....i wish i bought that when my dd was a baby as you can used it from birth!

Sexonlegs Wed 01-Aug-07 21:40:48

Biglips, I agree totally. We bought a huge 3 wheeler job for dd1, as they were all the rage then, and it gave me dreadful neck and shoulder problems. The Techno is fantastic.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 01-Aug-07 21:41:15

I like our Maclaran Triumph (got a good offer at Kiddicare for about £42 about 18 months ago, when DD was 5 months).

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 01-Aug-07 21:42:57

Techno is fantastic. I agree wholeheartedly on that. But it is a tiny bit bigger than the Quest and Triumph when folded.

MrsBadger Wed 01-Aug-07 21:43:27

the recline on the Quicksmart isn't much cop for a 5mo, esp if she'll be napping in it during long days out
Techno or a Quest

evenhope Thu 02-Aug-07 10:02:25

Thanks for all these replies!

I will go and check out these buggies today

hettie Thu 02-Aug-07 17:56:24

Know everyone says Maclaren- but just to add..... I have a Jane energy and it is lightweight umbrella fold and lies flat..... seems to ahve good build quality and can be found for slightly less dosh....

bagpuss Thu 02-Aug-07 20:51:26

You may struggle with a Techno or Energy if you have a small boot. We have a Techno Classic which is fantastic and ds2 has been in it since he was a few weeks old, but it doesn't fit straight in my large boot - we have to put it in diagonally which is a pain. Have you thought about a Graco Citisport or a Mamas and Papas Aria? Both are suitable from birth and fold up smallish and are light. Aria is on special offer in Argos at the moment for about £50.

FlyingSaucer Thu 02-Aug-07 21:40:36

McLaren Triumph worked well for us when DS was 5.5 months. It has four recline positions, one of which is quite a long way back.

Biglips Thu 02-Aug-07 22:21:59

my mum got a small boot in her car (audi A2) and it flies into her boot no problem. Best to measure the width of the boot and same to the buggy and go from there..

Bagpuss - Maclaren techno Xp and Maclaren Classic are both the same buggies arent they? as the Classic have extra things on it eg footmuff etc but is the same height and width

evenhope Sat 04-Aug-07 10:52:18

Just an update. Found a Maclaren Quest in last years colours for £79.99 at a local baby shop that fits the boot just right. They had a lovely lie-flat Jane which would have fit lenthways but didn't go flat enough at the hood end so wouldn't go in.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Biglips Sat 04-Aug-07 16:01:49

hooray x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now