Talk

Advanced search

Dyson upright or cylinder?

(4 Posts)
mummydoit Wed 01-Aug-07 18:35:29

Need to get a new vacuum cleaner. I have a very old upright Dyson which is great on carpets but not good on laminate floors. I decided to keep it for the carpetted upstairs and got an Electrolux upright for downstairs as it said it was suitable for both carpets and hard floors. It's been useless on the hard floors - just blows the dirt around - and the hose doesn't stretch the full flight of stairs so cleaning those is a real pain. The hose on the Dyson is taped together with Duck tape and now the handle has snapped so I think that's irreparably damaged. I'm tempted to go for a new Dyson but unsure whether to stick with upright or go for cylinder. Anyone got any recommendations for what's good for carpets and hard floors (plus with a hose that will do all my stairs). Thanks in advance!

VeronicaMars Wed 01-Aug-07 18:46:34

I have a cylinder dyson and I hate it. It's crap on carpets but ok on wood floor and tiles.

amazonianwoman Wed 01-Aug-07 21:05:38

My cylinder one works well on all surfaces (it's one of the original ones) but it really gets on my nerves when dragging it round corners/doors/sofas/coffee table etc, so I'd definitely get an upright one next time. Aren't the newer ones "all surfaces"?

mummydoit Wed 01-Aug-07 22:24:59

That was pretty much my thought on cylinders. That they're a pain to drag around. The Dyson website recommends an upright called the Animal which is supposed to be all surfaces. Think I might go for that one. Thanks for the comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now