Talk

Advanced search

Need a new bed and want to buy it online

(4 Posts)
MuffinMclay Tue 31-Jul-07 13:10:23

Dh sat on the bed in the spare room yesterday and it collapsed. It was a v.cheap Ikea one we've had for years.

Where can I get a nice new bed? I want something a bit better than Ikea, but not stupidly expensive (am going to put our current one into the spare room and we can have the nice new one).

I've always had ones with wooden headboards, but like the look of metal-framed ones. But I'm wondering if they are uncomfortable for sitting up against to read?

Cappuccino Tue 31-Jul-07 13:13:05

I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy a bed online

I would go and test one out

I have an ikea one and there is nothing wrong with it

dh and I lay on it for half an hour in the store before getting it

this was far preferable to the we bounced tentatively on in front of the salesman in a 'quality bed shop' for 30 seconds several years ago which was a much 'better' bed but we actually didn't like sleeping on it much

MummyDarlingSausage Tue 31-Jul-07 13:28:25

Hi we bought a metal bedstead from M&S last year and it is really good quality - I think it will last a long time. We had previously had a wooden one and we have so many pillows it doesn't feel uncomfortable when reading. We kept the mattress from our previous bed. I think the mattress is the only thing you need to try out really. I just had a quick look on the M&S website and saw a cream metal (double) for £399 - I don't know if this is within your budget. featherandblack.com have some on sale right now. My dh use to work for Ikea and while he thinks they are value for money he says the quality isn't as good.

MuffinMclay Tue 31-Jul-07 13:50:57

We're keeping the same mattress (which is a really good one and v. deep), so I didn't think the frame would make much difference to sleeping comfort.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Ikea stuff, as such, I'm just so bored with having a house full of it (and everyone else's houses have the same). Plus they were so rude last time I went there that I vowed I'd never give them my custom again.

I want something that will last for years, and years. Really would prefer to buy online if possible. We don't have many bed retailers nearby, and I can't face wasting hours driving up and down motorways just to look at beds.

MDS - thanks for the ideas. I was feeling a bit brain dead and couldn't think where to start looking. Budget is up to £600, so those ideas sound good. Going to check them out now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now