Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mountain buggy vs Britax vigour - which is more cosy for newborn?

(24 Posts)
itchyncsratchy Sat 28-Jul-07 11:08:00

I've been researching them to death online, haven't seen either in a shop or on the street. Trying to decide between babyworld britax offer or kiddicare mountain buggy offer.

I'm leaning on side of mountain buggy as live on beach and maybe frame won't rust so fast. but I'm worried it isn't padded enough on seat. anyone used either with newborn?

itchyncsratchy Sat 28-Jul-07 11:30:58

hmm maybe saturday is the wrong time for asking??

CarGirl Sat 28-Jul-07 11:49:54

You could buy the carrycot attachment to use for the newborn which would be very snug indeed! Mountain buggies hold their value well 2nd hand too, you could probably get a carrycot of ebay at a reasonable price too.

winestein Sat 28-Jul-07 11:55:12

I used my mountain buggy for a newborn with a buggy snuggle and he was fine. I did this on the basis that he was never in it for more than an hour or so. If he was going to be in it more I might have considered the carrycot. You can also get washable sheepskins with holes for the 5 point harness.

My mountainbuggy is now 2.7 years old and has seen some real raggedy rough and tough wear, including beach use and is easy to clean and hasn't rusted, with the exception of the front pivot bit (technical term )

itchyncsratchy Sat 28-Jul-07 12:22:16

ah thanks for replies. I've been outbid on 3 mb's on ebay, but at least good to see high resale value. I like the way the seat looks very deep when lying flat, lots of protection from wind. I have to fly home with it so I don't think the carrycot will be practical, also maybe too hot.
is the seat padded at all?
i saw on mountainbuggy.uk the elite has extra padding but i can't find any for sale

CarGirl Sat 28-Jul-07 12:34:11

I would have thought a sheepskin liner was the way to go - good for keeping warm in winter & cool in summer. Don't think the seat is padded but the suspesion is soo good and the hammock still absorbs the bumps too.

winestein Sat 28-Jul-07 13:59:28

What Cargirl says! Except there is no suspension (that would be something to rust and why I avoided anything with suspension).
The baby/child gets a smooth ride due to the pneumatic tyres and the quality of the construction, combined with the hammock-type seat.
Just a little tip for you - if you do get one (or any other one with pneumatic tyres, fill the tyres with goop or slime before you set off. It will save you a lot of sweat and tears!

itchyncsratchy Sat 28-Jul-07 14:20:24

thanks again, all I have to do now is decide to go for new £400 or secondhand with new seat for £275..

accessorizewithbabysick Sun 29-Jul-07 20:06:26

MB seat is not padded at all. I haven't seen the britax vigour in a shop but it looked pretty good online. However, mb's have great resale value as everyone else has said. I used the carrycot until ds2 was 5 months, could have put him in the buggy at 4 months. Until then, a sheepskin great but won't enclose lo iyswkim nor support their head very well (although fantastic and worth buying anyway if only to keep the pushchair pristine for later resale!). I saw this thing called a snuzzler recently which would seem ideal (it's Kiddopotamus, who produce rayshades as well) for the MB, a newborn would really swim in the seat - it's still big enough for my 3.8yo DS! Have a look on ebay for one, there are a couple listed.
I got a new mb last year for £300 plus p&p on ebay, don't see why you'd have to pay £400?

itchyncsratchy Sun 29-Jul-07 22:40:53

thanks accessorize, love the name too!
this was exactly my concern. I can see MB will be great in longterm but for newborn a bit big and barren. The carrycot does look big and roomy though and seen some on ebay. Then again Britax vigour comes with carrycot for only £250. I'm the most indecisive person ever and this is driving me crazy!
The Britax looks more cosy and is cheaper.. but the MB looks harder wearing and has good resale..

winestein Sun 29-Jul-07 23:47:00

Buggysnuggle or sheepskin.

Forget the re-sale if you are using it for it's purpose, as it will be totalled by then! Mine is - brake bar bent on tree stump, basket ripped off after fight with said tree stump, wear marks in the canvas from all the pushing past stuff and hauling over dry stone walls, etc etc. (Naturally, when the time comes, the Ebay ad will say that it is in pristine condition )

If you just want it for a stroll down the newsagents and a quick look at the beach then get the vigour. I think you will struggle with 4 wheels if you are walking off road though

accessorizewithbabysick Mon 30-Jul-07 10:51:04

Itchy, the carrycot is very roomy (tho does depend on your baby!) but bulky of course. I'd stick with the pushchair that you like and suits your needs (which is clearly the MB!) and use a sheepskin/buggysnuggle/snuzzler whatever to cosy it up for your lo as he/she will grow quick enough. It's only 3-4 months that they're that tiny, and then there's years of pushing something that isn't right!

amazonianwoman Mon 30-Jul-07 11:39:06

Can't let a Mt Buggy thread pass without adding my name to it

I used my MB from around 3mths with DS in the seat rather than the cot. He just wasn't very happy in the cot but falls asleep easily in the fully reclined seat. He's also very long (98th centile) so was getting a little cramped.

I use a sheepskin liner and the headhugger from his carseat and he's v cosy

You can get the MB for around £350 incl postage from several websites now.

itchyncsratchy Mon 30-Jul-07 12:43:53

thanks again,
I'm not sure about the sheepskins and snuggles. might be too hot, i know sheepskins are labelled as good for cold or hot weather but we live on the beach in Zanzibar so will be v hot and sticky from September onwards. The Kiddopotamus site has some comfy seat things though.
The MB seems the most practical option, I like the deep seat and the chassis looks strong enough to withstand rough usage. We'll be using it mostly on the beach but does it fold compact enough to fly with?
Where are the MB's at £350? I've found kiddicare at £379 or £399 for black n pink coco with uv cover incl and naturalnursery is £369.

accessorizewithbabysick Mon 30-Jul-07 14:09:27

I think it's absolutely the right pushchair for those kind of rugged conditions, BUT it does not fold up compactly at all, it's quite a big bulky kind of pushchair folded. You can take the wheels off very easily though and then it's not so bad. You can buy a bag for it I believe. Why not get one of the suppliers to post it direct to you in Zanzibar? One of the New Zealand ones might do it and less trouble for you?
I think aw's car seat headhugger is a good idea, won't be too hot. I'm using my sheepskin now (alright I know england in July doesn't compare to Zanzibar!) and it really does cool him down and makes the mb far more comfy (ds2 is 8 months) given the seat is not padded. I would love one for my chair/bed/sofa!

Not sure which sites aw means, I bought mine off ebay although I waited for a while for one to come up at £300 plus p&p. Also mumsnet classified worth a look as I've seen them come up.

accessorizewithbabysick Mon 30-Jul-07 14:09:52

Meant to say <<<<waves at amazonianwoman, how's it going?>>>

mistlethrush Mon 30-Jul-07 14:34:44

MB fantastic - although, yes, doesn't fold up small unless you take the wheels of, then still quite long.

Used MB from 3wks - used blanket in bottom for extra padding, no extra warmth required as May by then (not this year).

Very rugged, and hard wearing. Now 2.3 yrs, just slightly battle scarred on front swivel thing (another technical term!).

Least favourite surface though is soft sand or moveable pebbles - very hard work pushing over this - much better through mud, long grass, over rocks etc!

amazonianwoman Mon 30-Jul-07 15:44:27

Hi accessorize, things going really well, DS now super settled - even slept through a few times <gasp>

Had a moment of madness last week and almost tried to sell MB as I have the P&T too, but have seen sense...

nappyaddict Tue 31-Jul-07 21:51:52

id get the mountain buggy with carrycot.

itchyncsratchy Wed 01-Aug-07 01:51:10

amazonianwoman - you're right. I have found MB at £350 incl next day delivry, practicalpushchairs.
I spoke to a lady there on the phone, they have the 2007 model in store but she couldn't explain the new specs.
Does anyone know what they are?
Is MB a pushchair I can take up to the plane or too big, will it need to go as luggage?
We'll be in UK for at least a month, until new baby has birth cert and passport and I've recovered from c-section if she refuses to turn in next 2 weeks, so I think we'll need carrycot here so may as well buy it all here.

amazonianwoman Wed 01-Aug-07 12:20:26

Practical pushchairs have great service

Bit cheeky, but I'm just about to sell my mountain buggy carrycot. Would you be interested? They're over £130 new so you could save a fortune

Let me know if interested!

accessorizewithbabysick Wed 01-Aug-07 21:40:41

Itchy, don't know about 2007 model sorry. But would have said too bulky to carryon esp with carrycot, check your airline.

<<aw, glad things going well for you with ds, I'm finding things better and better since ds2 hit 7 months! And hang onto that mb...>>

amazonianwoman Wed 01-Aug-07 22:05:00

Friend has taken her MB right up to departure gate on several flights - cheapo airlines and BA. Agree that carrycot might be too much though.

nappyaddict Fri 03-Aug-07 02:59:42

have taken chassis and carrycot and chassis and pushchair seat up to gates lots of times. think if you wanted to take chassis, seat and carrycot you would have to put either the seat or carrycot through as part of luggage although it would go for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now