Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I am the ulitmate consumer ... JML SUPER SLICER <sigh>

(25 Posts)
TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 11:17:35

I stood in wonder in front of the dratted TV in woolworths at the weekend that was advertising the marvel that is the JML super slicer. It promised me the world it did, cutting, slicing and so forth would be a dream from now on if I bought one ...

So I did (with DH being my conscience behind me, muttering and head-shaking). BUT I knew I would use it and it would greatly improve my life etc ... (blah blah - all the usual self-justification etc)

Just used it (making cottage pies to freeze etc) on an onion. The thing is CRAP! Not only did it obliterate the little bit of onion I could get it to 'slice', but it made the onion vapour a million times worse than usual - resulting in a puffy eyed panda look for me! And THEN the washing of the thing! What a palarvor, almost took my fingers off ...

Do I try again, or let it gather dust with other never used kitchen paraphernalia??

fedupwasherwoman Thu 26-Jul-07 11:24:15

ebay it on to some one else

TheArmadillo Thu 26-Jul-07 11:24:27

IS that the mandoline style one?

If so I have it and it is absolute shite.

strawberry Thu 26-Jul-07 11:27:23

I have a Pampered Chef mini chopper which just mashes everything to a pulp - useless...

fedupwasherwoman Thu 26-Jul-07 11:33:53

I think for the demonstrations they use highly chilled vegetables and I'm wondering if some of them are almost frozen as the room temperature ones just seem to get "mullered" by the blardy gadget.

TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 11:38:36

hmm - yes, should really have known it was gonna be crappola - those things always are. (yes it is the Mandoline stylee).

Must have got me at a moment of weakness (crafty slicer!)

Ebay (or car booty) it is then ...

TheArmadillo Thu 26-Jul-07 11:47:53

With mine, if you use anything hard (like a carrot) it comes very close to snapping and just chips bits of the edge.

Mines gathering dust in the back of a kitchen cupboard.

MamaG Thu 26-Jul-07 11:48:56

lol

TigerFeet Thu 26-Jul-07 11:51:04

I have one

Used once

Now in back of cupboard awaiting next Grand Clear Out

My Mum has one and swears by it, god knows why

TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 12:06:02

ok - so I'm glad I'm not the only one and the thing is pretty much a waste of good air space

... except for your mum TigerFeet.

Please quizz her next time you are talking to her, and discover her secrets to using the thing (then come on here and let me know), cos there must be SOME way of operating the blasted thing (besides almost freezing the food first ...)

Budababe Thu 26-Jul-07 12:13:37

Can't you take it back? If it doesn't actually cut vegetables it is not fit for the purpose sold surely?

TheArmadillo Thu 26-Jul-07 12:30:21

"My Mum has one and swears by it"

I swear at mine - that's nearly the same

FluffyMummy123 Thu 26-Jul-07 12:30:44

Message withdrawn

TigerFeet Thu 26-Jul-07 12:32:18

Am going to ring her later and find out what she is doing that the rest of us aren;t

RubySlippers Thu 26-Jul-07 12:33:42

it is shite isn't it
well, actually it is quite good if you want to slice your fingers off and make your knuckles bleed
throw it away - don't ebay it and inflict it on some other poor soul

TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 12:34:15

Armadillo!

I just don't want to give up after one attempt - I wanna master the super slicer and control the world ..mwah ha haaaaa ...

<ahem>

well, I want to use the super slicer to the best of it's ability at least

tracyk Thu 26-Jul-07 12:35:45

I quite like mine. It does 3/4 of the veg but then I always have the bit at the end that I don't like to get too close to the sharp bit. and 3/4 of the onion comes out ok - but I have to throw out the big bits that are missed.
It makes good apple rings - that ds loves.
I'd love to find a good one as I love coleslaw but hate prepping the veg.

PrettyCandles Thu 26-Jul-07 12:36:33

I had a mandoline once and it was brilliant at slicing onions, so if your JML one is mushing them, then it's clearly defective and you should return it.

Strawberry, is it the one that you bash up and down? If so, I've got one and it is very good, chops things up very well. Can't cope with anything big, though. But very therapeutic . So, again, if it's not working - send it back!

I wanna get a really nice mandoline, but the one I've got my eye on is about £50+ and I can't quite justify it. Maybe when my 3 LOs become 3 Big Ones, eating me out of house and home, forcing me to slice up millions of veges every day...then it'll be justifiable. But of course by then it'll probably cost twics as much.

MrsWeasley Thu 26-Jul-07 12:36:41

Has anyone bought a more expensive one? (thinking along the lines of pampered chef, lakeland) Are they any better?

TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 12:41:05

must admit prettycandles, I was trying to slice/dice the onion (not just rings) - but we are having home-made burgers tonight, so I may haul it out for a second innings and hope it works better then

<<considers the pros and cons>>

btw - I like that defective get out clause .. couldn't possibly be me, MUST be the equipment etc

Egg Thu 26-Jul-07 12:49:11

Mine is shite too. Bought it when weaning DS to save time while chopping copious amounts of veg. Tried to use it once. Now in cupboard but don't think it will be packed when we move house. Useless pile of shite.

TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 20:09:13

HA!

I return victorious ... not only did I slice onion rings, but cucumber too ( I know, I know - wonderous! )

although I doubt it's going to be a permanent fixture in my daily cooking, I am just glad I got it to work ...

UCM Thu 26-Jul-07 20:12:34

OMG, my mandoline (purchased at the Ideal Home Show, after staring dreamily at the food being sliced, chopped and squiggled) is brilliant. When it wore out, I went back to that years show and bought another one.

If the JML one is crap as some of their super gadgets are. Take it back and get your dosh back.

I once bought a thingy which supposedly painted straight edges. Did if fuck!!

I have never bought anything from JML again.

TheMaskedPoster Thu 26-Jul-07 20:41:47

at your brill mandoline slicer

yes, tis a typical JML gizmo - all marketing and zero pizzazz ..

<sigh>

heifer Thu 26-Jul-07 20:55:25

Haven't you learn anything TMP

You need to ask on here before you buy anything!

Use these good womans harsh lessons in life, find out what is good or crappolo...

Let them make the mistakes and you reeped the rewards!

next time post on product and see the reviewS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now