Talk

Advanced search

Christening gifts (when you are the godparent)?

(28 Posts)
TheBlonde Mon 23-Jul-07 17:19:35

I have looked in the archives but wondered if there was any particular protocol for christening gifts when you are the godparent

DH & I have a couple of these coming up
Both Catholic but I don't think either set of parents are hugely devout

Any ideas?

MrsBadger Mon 23-Jul-07 17:21:50

As godparents you get first dibs on buying them a Bible if you want to (get a clear translation with pictures eg Good News or NIV, not a cheesey white leather one).

katz Mon 23-Jul-07 17:22:20

for my godson i made him a prayer book using a 8 x 8 scrapbook and wrote 20 personal/family prayers, i plan on adding to it for him over his life.

TheBlonde Mon 23-Jul-07 17:22:30

Are you supposed to tell the parents your planned gift before hand?

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Mon 23-Jul-07 17:23:20

i bought my goddaughter an antique silver spoon and the complete winnie the pooh books!

wheelsonthebus Mon 23-Jul-07 17:23:41

money for the child trust fund goes down well with parents

MintChocChippyMinton Mon 23-Jul-07 17:35:16

goddaughter - silver charm bracelest + add one every year (solves future birthday presents too)
godson - engraved tankard? There must be better ideas LOL

NAB3 Mon 23-Jul-07 17:36:15

I bought a silver cube money box and put lots of 20ps in it. This was about 12 years ago now though.

Jojay Mon 23-Jul-07 17:39:09

We got given a red letter type experience for a family portrait session, and a photo album, the idea that we put a picture of ds in it on his birthday every year.

Not religious but a nice idea I thought. The God parents didn't tell us about it beforehand though.

TheBlonde Mon 23-Jul-07 21:47:00

portrait sounds nice

saltcod Tue 24-Jul-07 22:47:23

Is it for a boy or girl?I bought my Goddaughter a wooden muscial jewellery box. It was something she could play with/use when she's a bit older & also a nice keepsake. DD received a couple of nice crucifix necklaces & a charm bracelet. The best present we received for DS was a minature wooden chair with his name & a personal message from his Godmother on it. We also had a lot of welcome £££ for his child trust fund

Beware of buying bibles - DD received 2 & DS received 4!

fawkeoff Tue 24-Jul-07 22:49:38

ds got a cross from the royal mint and ds got a silver rattle that opened and there was a coin from the royal mint

MaureenMLove Tue 24-Jul-07 22:55:54

I opened Post Office savings accounts for 2 of mine. When I did it the minimum amount was £25.

notasheep Tue 24-Jul-07 22:58:29

dd Catholic,her Godmother gave her Lloyds shares(much more useful than a silver bracelet)

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 24-Jul-07 23:00:17

We had DD Christened last week, and no-one bought her a Bible .

I was also surprised that no-one bought her a bracelet of any sort, which I was hoping they might.

She did get 5 or 6 money boxes, and a similar number of trinket/tooth boxes, so I would probably steer clear of both of these.

milge Tue 24-Jul-07 23:02:54

Case of wine/port from the year of their birth
Leather A3 book for photos/scaps, with their name and date of birth on it.
Emma Bridgewater personalised cups/saucers
A commissioned painting/chalk portrait for an older child
Original painting oil/watercolour of some family significance

Nemo2007 Tue 24-Jul-07 23:05:37

My friend bought DD1 a set of bible stories from woolies. Think they were about £6 but in a little box and it is a lovely gift. Other godparents paid for christening cake, and another bought the girls age appropriate toys.

Nemo2007 Tue 24-Jul-07 23:06:42

None of mine were ever bought bibles either!!!
I did buy DS usbourne childrens bible.

Tommy Tue 24-Jul-07 23:07:26

I bought my last god daughter this

I'm not really into silver money boxes and things

TheBlonde Wed 25-Jul-07 09:38:44

The noah's arc is lovely, quite tempted by that

MaloryTowers Wed 25-Jul-07 09:44:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mouseman Wed 25-Jul-07 09:44:58

I have given to my 3 god sons a silver photo frame, and to my god daughter, an antique clock. My dd was given a bracelet and her godmother adds a charm every year. DS was given a nice silver clock and cash.

JARM Wed 25-Jul-07 09:47:45

We recieved :

Childrens Bible
Childrens Bible stories x 2
3 x silver bracelets
A gold chain with a small cross
A plaster casting kit
Trinket boxes
Money boxes
Donation for trust fund

My favourite has to be the childrens bible and bible stories.

grannyslippers Wed 25-Jul-07 22:54:00

If you can get to a Wesley Owen (Christian bookshop) or their websiteonline they have a huge selection of children's Bibles and Bible stories. We gave one when we were godparents last year.

They also have all kinds of other Christian gifts in varying shades of good taste!

LittleMissLate Thu 26-Jul-07 14:42:28

Dd was given:

bible
bible stories books
beatrix potter bowl and mug
antique silver spoon
engraved silver napkin ring
childrens cutlery engraved with her name
silver brooch with her initials
some nice wooden puzzles
tooth trinket box
picture frame
money for her savings account

When I was asked to be a godmother I gave a childrens bible plus some beatrix potter books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now