Talk

Advanced search

DON"T ORDER A BT HOME HUB!!!!; or Has anyone got a BT Home Hub? Oooh, I wish I didn't have one of those; or AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

(36 Posts)
Bear Sun 22-Jul-07 23:00:43

It's too late now to explain in detail - I'll do that tomorrow (if the effin thing lets me), but really really needed to get that off my chest before I drop kick the thing out into the street.

night then

Moomin Sun 22-Jul-07 23:06:31

Yikes! We've just ordered one for next week and are getting Vision as well. Is it shite?

sparklygothkat Sun 22-Jul-07 23:07:15

we have a BT home hub, and its shite!!!!!

Moomin Sun 22-Jul-07 23:07:58

oooohhhh noooooooooooooooo
WHY? HOW? oh bloody hell

sparklygothkat Mon 23-Jul-07 00:22:05

Keeps disconnecting, have to reset the box all the time, and its annoying!!

Moomin Mon 23-Jul-07 10:07:37

Anyone else got anything to say about these things (good or bad)? - I can guess what Bear's verdict's going to be! I'm worried we've made the wrong decision now - it was just so much cheaper than Sky and it meant dh could get more sport without lining the pockets of Murdoch even further

bagpuss Mon 23-Jul-07 14:06:23

They sent us ours for free (along with several other routers). It wouldn't connect to our computers (something to do with our apple extreme I think), hence it is under the stairs in a big dusty box. We have just switched our broadband service as we were finding the speed and number of faults rather annoying. I hope you manage to get connected soon bear.

mrsmalumbas Mon 23-Jul-07 14:12:46

We have one and it's fine, we have one desktop PC in the office which connects via ethernet and my laptop which connects via wireless. We also have a broadband phone which plugs into the hub which DH uses as his work line. He works from home so we have it switched on all day every day. Did have some delays to begin with and some issues with BT helpdesk, but now touch wood is also fine. Poss not the cheapest though.

Bear Mon 23-Jul-07 14:26:27

Sorry Moomin - at least Sky works. BT HH is sh1te. and isn't the sport only "as live" rather than as it happens?

anyway, I was sent a HomeHub when I was migrated to Option3, but as my Netgear wireless router was doing the job, it stayed in its box. Then a few weeks ago they offered the VOIP phone that goes with the HH free of charge (if we stay with them for another 18 months). Can't hurt I thought, especially as our main wepon of choice in choosing our utilities is torpor.

Oh how I was wrong.

So so wrong.

The HH sucks. Big time. Reduced wireless coverage when it promised increased. Intermittent drops in connection so I can't stream anything or confidently download anything and I like to d'load lots of music. Stalling webpages. Much slower loading webpages. Nowhere near the "up to 8Mbps" connection they've promised. Files that used to download in seconds now take half and hour. And I'm paying twice what I could be paying elsewhere.

It really is rubbish. You'd think that something BT had designed to work with their broadband would do that. Well it doesn't even come close to looking like it might think of working.

I'm now ready for a battle. I want it out and I want out of the contract - they haven't delivered.

But I need to find a new ISP and I'm going to lose my BT email address which most of my correspondence comes through. Gah!

Please think twice - google BT Home Hub and the problems people have - I'm not alone. Check out this page..

Sorry, but it's not fair of them to sell this as the great total solution - it just isn't.

hannahsaunt Mon 23-Jul-07 14:59:44

We have one and it's absolutely fine...

popsycal Mon 23-Jul-07 15:00:13

we have one
its fine

popsycal Mon 23-Jul-07 15:00:50

we have bt vision too

though would not have bought either if we had to pay ;)

Moomin Mon 23-Jul-07 21:32:21

How's Vision been so far popsycal?
We used to have the Sky sports package but it was costing nearly £40 pm and then certain games we'd still have to pay per view which I thought was just ridiculous. So we got rid of Sports 2 months ago and just pay basic. Dh really misses the sport though so when we saw that Vision are doing it we thought we'd give it a go. I know a lot of it's not 'live' but dh isn't bothered about that; he just likes watching the games.

Haven't much patience if things don't work properly though, esp when it comes to TV and the pooter, so I'm getting nervous now.

popsycal Tue 24-Jul-07 07:35:37

We had initial teething problems - but DH works next to the team who sort it all out so it was sorted quickly and has been fine since. GIve me a shout if there are problems - as I know a man who can help

popsycal Tue 24-Jul-07 07:37:25

just to add - we have only had freeview previously so don't have the comparisons with sky

hazygirl Tue 24-Jul-07 07:56:43

we had lots of probs in early days, spent hours on help desk, but they sorted it after six weeks,it was a nightmare we had an hour a day of internet,if any but sorted it it is slow they had to reduce speed they said

faustina Wed 25-Jul-07 07:08:49

we changed from a netgear setup (router and wireless usb things) that endlessly needed fiddling with, rebooting, constantly inputting code etc etc, to the home hub when we switched to bt option 3 in december and it honestly hasn't given me a minute's problem since. Has much better reach than the netgear one too. I did make sure that I changed everything though - I mean the wireless usb things you plug into your computer (sorry forget technical name), because often using two different makes can lead to a clash. As for speeds there are hundreds of reasons why you might not be getting what you're expecting. When I have had problems in the past with anything broadband I've found these two sites helpful: www.ispreview.co.uk and www.thinkbroadband.com - the first has a forum for each different isp and someone may be able to help you on there

Mellin Wed 25-Jul-07 08:15:56

We've had the home hub for nearly a year. We had LOTS of teething problems (other phones in the house not compatible, poor wireless coverage, having to reboot constantly) but after lots of perseverance and time spent on the phone to the help desk it was all sorted and we haven't had any ongoing problems.

I have to say that the VOIP calls made via the HH handset are always SHITE quality, we hardly ever use it to make calls.

Also it's cheeky that the HH help desk number is an 0845, which means they get even more money from you as a result of their product not being up to scratch.

Tutter Wed 25-Jul-07 08:39:45

agree

tis shiiiiite

zephyrcat Wed 25-Jul-07 08:48:55

I've got it too and I hate the bloody thing. We used to be with NTL/virgin and that was fab - I'd go back to them in a second. I use the HH phone as my main phone as the calls are cheaper but the quality of the line is Shite and the handset battery runs out after about 30 minutes. I resent having to pay for 2 phones - it makes it way more expensive and instead of paying £25 a month like I do for sky etc I've got a bill for almost £200. I hate BT!

Bear Thu 02-Aug-07 08:37:15

grrrrrr - after days of rejigging my set-up, going back to my old router, swapping filters, plugging into the engineering socket etc etc, following tortuously explained instructions from an offshore call centre, I'm no further forward. It appears that having installed the HH, my broadband has slowed to a crawl and has loads of short outages which cause all browsers to stall/load real slow/refuse to load pages.

According to BT I should be getting at least 6Meg (and previously I was getting something near) and now I'm lucky if I'm getting 1 - and its not contention, this is at any time of day. Unless all my neighbours coincidentally installed BT Vision at exactly the same time as I decided to fire up the HH...

I would bin the HH and get me a new N or pre-N router to try to improve range in the house, but if the connection has slowed to this speed and still has all these interruptions, what's the point

My trusty old Powerbook is suffering and my dreams of a new iMac (come on Steve, let's have a peek) are scuppered

milfAKAmonkeymonkeymoomoo Thu 02-Aug-07 08:38:26

We have one and its fine - I've got an Apple Powerbook and DH has a PC - no probs on either.

Bear Thu 02-Aug-07 10:25:38

Ok, milf (ahem) and you other guys for whom it's not been a near hubicidal process, a couple of questions:

1 are you using the Hub wirelessly, or is your computer connected via ethernet?

2 do you connect to the adsl line via microfilters or do you have a dedicated socket with both a RJ11 hole and a phone hole IYSWIM?

thanks

HappyDaddy Thu 02-Aug-07 10:26:35

Ours was fine until we moved house, now I can barely connect. Grrrrrrr. We wrote a stinky letter to BT and are waiting a reply.

milfAKAmonkeymonkeymoomoo Thu 02-Aug-07 10:34:58

1. I use ethernet downstairs and wireless upstairs.

2. Connect using microfilters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: