Talk

Advanced search

Washing machines and bearings, anyone know anything about them ?

(20 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 17:09:05

My washing machine has been sounding very rough for a few weeks now, like it was full of snooker balls.

My dad has just been and looked at it and said it is the bearings. Problem is he said he isn't sure if he will be able to fit new one/s as he doesn't know wether you have to fit them from the back or take out everything from the to ie drum, concrete etc.

Does anyone know ??

BettySpaghetti Sun 22-Jul-07 17:26:01

Ours went a few weeks ago and funnily enough my description of it when I posted on here was that it sounded like it was full of snooker balls!!

I'm afraid I don't know about fixing them -we bought a new machine in the end. DP did have a look at it and a twiddle (accessed it by taking the top off) but basically it was knackered.

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 17:28:24

I will have to have mine fixed as there is no way I can buy a new one.

BettySpaghetti Sun 22-Jul-07 17:32:38

I've seen links to websites on here that help you identify what the problem is and how to fix things (if indeed they are fixable).

I most probably saw them when doing a search on MN under "washing machines"

Sorry, got to go -dinner ready, otherwise would look for you

Good luck

McDreamy Sun 22-Jul-07 17:34:21

Apparently it depends on the model. Ours went a few months ago! Ended up with a new washing machine!!

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Sun 22-Jul-07 17:35:08

You have to take the drum out. I had mine replaced about 2 years ago and it cost about, erm, £150? Took him about 2 hours. The machine died about 3 weeks ago.

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 17:36:50

OMG £150 there is no way I can pay that. I could get a new machine for £199 anyway.

At the mo the machine is still working, but it is only a matter of time aprently.

Crap crap crap crap.

McDreamy Sun 22-Jul-07 17:38:31

Cost me 60 pounds but I had to replace the whole washing machine 6 months later but that's because we live in an area wth unbelievably hard water! Neber known water like it !

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 17:39:51

Can't afford £60 either so buggered either way really.

Wonder if renting one would be a better option.

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Sun 22-Jul-07 17:44:03

It was certainly over £100, I can't remember the exact figure.

Can you get a second hand one? Put a "wanted" request on Freecycle?

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 17:46:31

I will try soupy, but I have a feeling that alot fo machines are too deep for the gap I have it in and thats why last time i ended up having to buy new because I couldn't find a small enough second hand one.

Will have a look after dinner.

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Sun 22-Jul-07 17:53:39

Try googling

replace bearings washing and your machine brand.

NAB3 Sun 22-Jul-07 18:06:08

You will need a professional. We have just had ours fixed. Once the bearings have gone there is nothing you can do.

We have a policy with warrenty direct which costs £10 a month and covers 3 appliances. If it breaks, is less than 5 years old and costs too much to fix we get a new one. The older it is the less you get back. We haven't had it long but have so far got a new dishwasher and had our washer fixed. We had the pay the first £25 but I think that may have been because we have already made a claim.

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 18:08:19

Suppose the chances of it lasting another 5 mths are remote ?? I finnish paying my mum for my cooker then, and so she would be willing to order a new washer in her name for me.

NAB3 Sun 22-Jul-07 18:09:48

I would stop using it. It makes the most horrendous noise and it can't be safe. There is no way it would last 5 months even if you could bare the noise.

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 18:12:15

It is bloody noisy yeah but there is no way I can stop using it, I have no way of buying a new one or paying for the repairs, and loads of washing to do.

I hate washing machines.

NAB3 Sun 22-Jul-07 19:16:18

I really don't think it will be safe. Isn't there someone else who can help you out? I know how difficult it is as I had 2 weeks without a machine and I have kids in washable nappies but you can't risk it blowing up. Also it won't work as well and you will start getting black/brown marks on the clothes.

BettySpaghetti Sun 22-Jul-07 19:35:04

Ah yes -black marks on the clothes. When our machine went it ruined DD's favourite duvet cover. The marks haven't come out

lailasmum Sun 22-Jul-07 19:42:52

There is a fire risk when the bearings go I think. Ours have gone a few times but we have a friendly handy man who does it for a reasonable price. It needs doing again now. Our neighbours machine caught on fire last year so I don't think its something to ignore. You could try something like a local furniture forum/sofa project if there is one where you live. Round here they have tons of serviced second hand machines to choose from and if you are on a low income they are very cheap. I think there are a lot of similar schemes but your council would know.

nutcracker Sun 22-Jul-07 21:00:44

Just realised, there was a black mark on a top I was ironing the other day, wondered where it had come from.

Oh well, hand washing it is then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: