Talk

Advanced search

Digital SLR camera

(39 Posts)
SueW Tue 17-Jul-07 10:48:58

Anyone got any recommendations for digi SLRs? I've never owned an SLR before but always wanted one and as I will reach a Significant Age soon, I think it's one of those things I should do before I get there. Handily my compact camera is on the way out and DD is reaching an age where she could have one of her own.

Budget about 400-500.

Vinegar Tue 17-Jul-07 13:47:28

I have a Canon Eos 400D, which was £600, the 350D would probably be in your budget. Really love it, but don't think the lens that come with it are that great.

chopster Tue 17-Jul-07 13:49:50

canon defo. I have the 350, it is great.

amazonianwoman Tue 17-Jul-07 14:14:12

The Canon EOS 400D is now £450-£480, plus if you buy before end August you can claim £50 cashback from Canon

The lens isn't great but probably good enough for average photographers (like me!) - you could always buy a separate lens if you really get into photography. To buy the EOS 400D body only (without above lens) is only about £50 cheaper, so probably still worth getting the average lens as part of the kit.

As far as I know the main difference btw the 350 and the 400 is that the latter has 10mp vs 8mp, and it has an automatic dust sensor/cleaner feature (a Good Thing imho)

The ability to take "instant" photos of the kids rather than the rubbish delay you get on the compacts is fab, and you can get some excellent portrait shots.

I'm about to buy the Canon 400 I have an older Canon EOS film SLR and loved it, plus the lens should fit the new one

chopster Tue 17-Jul-07 14:19:36

amazon, we use an old film slr lens on ours, but the only thing is that the numbers aren't the same as printed. So the old lens works as my close up lens.

amazonianwoman Tue 17-Jul-07 14:20:45

Excellent thanks - that's what I was hoping

potoroo Tue 17-Jul-07 14:21:14

Check out http://www.dpreview.com - really good review site for digital cameras

aDad Tue 17-Jul-07 14:39:11

Canons.

You must!

Surfermum Tue 17-Jul-07 14:40:40

DH loves his Canon 350D. He too used his old lenses when he first bought it. And I find it really easy just to pick up, point and shoot. Anything more technical than that I couldn't tell you!

MrsBadger Tue 17-Jul-07 15:00:48

DH has bought the Eos 400D with the cashback offer Amazonian mentioned about six weeks ago and is thrilled with it.

I can't remember what he did about lenses but he did mention the fabulousness of Sigma kit as add-ons for Canons and I do know he's just been bought a Sigma flash for it as his birthday present from PIL.

Enid Tue 17-Jul-07 15:03:36

dh has a fujipix taht he loves and it takes v good pictures

florenceuk Tue 17-Jul-07 15:13:36

My DH was thinking about getting the Panasonic Lumix. We currently have the fixed lens version and it is very good. I'd be slightly wary of the bulk - definitely try it out first, compare with the fixed lens equivalent as it will be somewhat lighter. Be honest as to what sort of range you want - if you use your old SLR lens then you will find they "scale up" so a 35mm is more like 50mm. Whereas you probably want a true 28mm equivalent for serious photography (or even 24mm). DP review is good for info and the forums are very active! Mind you, I made my DH buy me a compact as I hate lugging the Lumix around. And he uses it as an excuse to avoid carrying anything else

mumofSlytherinsmonsters Tue 17-Jul-07 15:20:03

we have a fuji SD6500 (i think thats it) which is great and very easy to use. however, at the time our budget was teeny and they were on offer. When we upgrade later in teh year(have sold some photo's that i have taken so apparently now i am a professionl ) we are getting a canon. Like someone has mentioned, either the EOS 350 or 400.

WendyWeber Tue 17-Jul-07 15:24:16

Are the Canon lens mounts (?) still the same as they always were?

MrsBadger Tue 17-Jul-07 16:15:12

not sure
I know some of DH's older ones weren't compatible with the electronics on the new Eos

MilaMae Tue 17-Jul-07 16:32:39

Has anybody had the Nikon Coolpix SLR???

Have friends who have got it, does seem to take nice pics. Trying to decide between that and the Cannon. Are the SLRs that are under £1000 worth it???

Trying to persuade DP that they are as we only want to go up to £500ish and he was trying to fob me off with the non SLR I've got saying it'll do.

It's the taking shots instantly bit with the kids that I like the sound of with the SLRs. Any other benefits I could persuade him with????

stealthsquiggle Tue 17-Jul-07 16:35:36

Get an EOS. Definitely.

As for compatibility, any non-digital EOS lenses should be fine, older ones maybe not - and the focal length will be changed so it is probably worth getting one (widish angle) lens with the body.

stealthsquiggle Tue 17-Jul-07 16:37:08

the delay is the big big difference - and it makes the difference between rubbish snaps and fab pictures of your DC!

SueW Tue 17-Jul-07 18:33:01

Oh wow - thanks for all this. It's fantastic Later this evening I will sit down and go through it properly and look for good prices online although I htink it would probably be useful to go into somewhere like Jessops and have a feel, do you agree?

SueW Tue 17-Jul-07 19:40:01

Just opened up my google homepage to find that the 350 is Tesco's deal of the day - £359 inc 2GB card but I can't buy today.

The Canon EOS 400D can be bought with a 18-55mm lens - is that a fairly standard, useful lens? For £492 I could get a 400D plus lens plus 2GB card from amazon so it falls within my budget so far, even without cashback deals.

Will I also need a flash unit to go on the top?

I enjoy taking photos and have loved learning how to get the best out of my compact, using the macro functions etc. I've got some great shots of creatures we've come across on our holidays, for instance but this is a whole new ball game. I think I might have to book myself onto a ocurse too.

florenceuk Tue 17-Jul-07 20:01:50

this might help: choosing lens. 18-55mm is like a std 35mm-70mm. This doesn't give you the telephoto or the really wide angle you need for more "artistic" shots, so at some stage you will probably hanker for more.

Tamum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:05:40

That sounds like afab deal, Suew. I have had a Canon EOS 300D for a few years now and I am really happy with it. I haven't felt the need for a separate flash yet.

Dh has a Nikon SLR, MilaMae, and loves it.

I have to say though that I also have a Lumix non-SLR for when I just want a tiny camera (and to do films) and there's no lag at all with it. I used to get loads with my old non-SLR digital but I assumed it was make-dependent rather than SLR-ness. I can't see how just being an SLR solves it?

florenceuk Tue 17-Jul-07 20:10:24

Yes I was going to say that delays have improved a lot on a lot of compacts - check out the reviews on DPreview. I've just bought a Ricoh and it is very quick. IMO not worth going down SLR route unless you are keen photographer and willing to cart round the gear, experiment with settings and really learn your camera. Have to admit I'm not!

eca Tue 17-Jul-07 20:57:24

Dh bought me a canon 400D EOS last wed for our wedding anniversary He did loads of research and it's amazing. I love it. He also got me a 55-200mm lens to go on it. He did say you can get a sigma 18-300mm lens for £229 from http://www.ajpurdy.com - £110 more than the 55-200mm and I have to say if you can afford it it will save you lots of changing over and having to carry your spare lens around with you.

Also, he got the american version called Rebel XT, but exactly the same camera, same manual etc, and it was cheaper. He got it from here. Also he said if you put it in your basket then exit without buying they'll e-mail you saying you have 24hrs to buy and give you another £5 off voucher. That's what happened to him anyway!

Hope you get what you want!

MrsBadger Tue 17-Jul-07 21:17:29

(the onboard flash is fine for most things - but DH is covering a wedding for a mate at the weekend hence lust for a separate one)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now