Talk

Advanced search

Approx how many pics would i get...

(23 Posts)
PinkChick Wed 11-Jul-07 20:40:25

on a 2gb memory stick AND a 4gb memory stick?

thanks

MingMingtheWonderPet Wed 11-Jul-07 21:31:36

It entirely depends what size the pictures are that you are saving.
How many megapixels has your camera got?
Am assuming you have not got the memory sticks you are talking about. My camera shows me on the readout how many photos I can take, so you could easily work it out if you used any memory stick in your camera and mulitiplied up.

PinkChick Thu 12-Jul-07 08:17:53

camera say 5.1 pixels i have it set at full capacity, but would reduce if it means more pics as the stick i have right now only holds about 60 picss o want the bigger stick and lots more pics..no i havent bought the 2 or gb yet, want to know if 2 will be enough before i spend twice as much?

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:35:49

anyone?

butterbeer Fri 13-Jul-07 19:38:42

How big is the stick you have now -- the one that holds 60 pics?

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:39:40

Depends on your camera a bit too - what model?

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:40:53

sony cyber shot dsc t3

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:41:16

its 128mb

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:41:49

Actually the answer to butterbears question is the most useful one.

What size is your current card?

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:42:49

By my calculation you would get almost 480 pics on a 1gb....someone please check as that my maths may be wrong

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:42:54

128mb

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:43:24

so then a 2gb would give me 900+?

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:44:52

That would be 900+ on 2gb or 1800+ on the 4gb

Sounds an awful lot though so I would like someone to check my maths.

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:46:03

no i think you could be right as someone told me they got 900-1000 on theirs but didnt know which capacity it had..will wait and double check incase someone does say diff, but thanks for sheding some light for me

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:46:10

but this seems to agree with me...

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:47:41

I think I need a new memory card. I have a measly 64mb and get 80 pics on (lower resulotion)

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:48:02

you were right..thankyou!..so now i can buy a 2gb instead of 4gb and save about £20Its for friends weding in cyprus in aug so didnt want to take loads at wedding then run out for rest of hol

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:48:50

you know i think thats the one i got with the camera as i was wondering if THIS ONE was with it as no where shows 64mb do they?..i got about 16 pics with that on hi res!

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 19:49:45

have you got same camera?, i need to dig my instructions out as i dont seem to be able to take good sharp pics in inside light? and it wasnt a cheap camera so im sure its me doing something wrong?

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 19:53:26

I only have a 3mp camera. Only use it at 2mp settings.

If you run short of space be aware that halving the resolution does not halve the quality....and a 2mp setting is adequate for 6*4 prints (although I would probably choose 3mp first)

PinkChick Fri 13-Jul-07 20:01:10

ah, so its only when you want bigger pics the pixel distort?..thats good advice so i can reduce the 5 to 3 and still get good/more pics?

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 22:59:16

have a look at this if you can get past teh geeky stuff

One important paragraph reads as follows:

"The megapixel myth was started by camera makers and swallowed hook, line and sinker by camera measurebators. Camera makers use the number of megapixels a camera has to hoodwink you into thinking it has something to do with camera quality. They use it because even a tiny linear resolution increase results in a huge total pixel increase, since the total pixel count varies as the total area of the image, which varies as the square of the linear resolution. In other words, an almost invisible 40% increase in the number of pixels in any one direction results in a doubling of the total number of pixels in the image. Therefore camera makers can always brag about how much better this week's camera is, with even negligible improvements.

This gimmick is used by salespeople and manufacturers to you feel as if your current camera is inadequate and needs to be replaced even if the new cameras each year are only slightly better.

One needs about a doubling of linear resolution or film size to make an obvious improvement. This is the same as a quadrupling of megapixels. A simple doubling of megapixels, even if all else remained the same, is very subtle. The factors that matter, like color and sharpening algorithms, are far more significant."

He goes on to compare some pics at different resolutions to prove the point.

He offers a calculation to show the maximum print size recommended to retain sharness:

"Long print dimension in inches = 4 x (square root of megapixels)"

For example, for a four megapixel camera the square root of four is two. Two times four is eight. Thus the biggest print you can make without losing sharpness compared to film at normal viewing distances is is 6 x 8." From a sixteen MP camera likewise you could go 12 x 16." Of course you can print bigger, just you won't have the sharpness of film. Also few people are able to get all the sharpness of which film is capable, making this harder to compare.

Based on this

3megapixel - max long side 6.9" (i.e. 6*4 print will be fine)
4megapixel - max long side size 8"
5megapixel - max long side size 8.9"

I would stick to higher resolution if you can, but if you want to drop the resolution to get more pics on you probably won't notice dropping to 4 or 3 (according to that article.

Why don't you try it before you go? Take a pic of the same thing at diff resolutions and see if you can tell.

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 13-Jul-07 23:00:36

If you drop from 5 to 3 though - you halve the size of your files so double the capacity of your card.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: