Talk

Advanced search

What bed do you recommend after toddler bed for 3.5 yo?

(9 Posts)
Mrsddd Sat 23-Mar-19 21:50:08

My 3.5 is currently in a toddler bed but we have just moved him into a bigger bedroom and I’m wondering what bed to buy him to go with his new room. I’m torn between a single, double and something novelty like a high sleeper or tree house bed etc. I want his room to be fun and I want him to love it but I also want something practical that lasts a few years and he doesn’t outgrow too quickly. Should I wait till he is old enough that he can tell me what he wants? Does anyone’s child have a novelty bed (with a slide or shaped like a bus or whatever) that they love or recommend a high/mid sleeper or shall I just go with a practical ‘normal’ bed and then should I go double or single argh only I could make something so simple so complicated by being indecisive!! Advice please!

MoreSlidingDoors Sat 23-Mar-19 21:52:19

Bought DD a normal bed with a trundle under it when she was 17 months old. It should last till she leaves home.

3.5 year olds shouldn’t be in high sleepers.

Cuddlysnowleopard Sat 23-Mar-19 21:56:14

Mine went straight to normal single beds. I like to sit with them to read stories and chat at bedtime. Hard to tuck them in if they're in a high sleeper.

Mrsddd Sat 23-Mar-19 22:06:37

That’s true thanks, I like to lay with him and chat and cuddle too and would be difficult in anything other than an ordinary bed, hadn’t really thought of that.. think I’m getting too sidetracked with wanting it to be ‘fun’

DustOffYourHighestHopes Sat 23-Mar-19 22:11:55

Practical is a solid wood single bed (solid slats) with a matching box underneath for storage.

A friend used a mid-sleeper safely for a 4 yr old for extra drawer storage underneath - sounds like your child’s room is large so this is unnecessary. All that sort of extra stuff costs a huge amount more money.

Single bed is so so so good for snuggles and reading in bed.

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 23-Mar-19 22:14:42

Yep I also advise a normal single bed. He'll be delighted with his big boy bed and it'll last him years

RainbowMum11 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:29:35

DD has been in a day bed with a trundle under (Ikea) since she was 2 - the bed turns to a double for sleepovers or a guest bed, but is a bit narrower then a standard single. She has a double at her Dads though so to begin with she would fall out sometimes but I just made sure there was soft stuff by the bed.

RainbowMum11 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:31:40

It's the Hemnes that we got so loads of storage underneath as well as the single to double option.

isabellerossignol Sat 23-Mar-19 22:31:49

Mine went straight to a double bed. So when they got upset and wanted someone in the night we could just crawl in next to them and go back to sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: