Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If your best friend had just had her 1st baby, what would you buy her?

(41 Posts)
LadyTophamHatt Thu 05-Jul-07 18:43:37

She not a pampering herself for hours and hours type person.

Ideally I want something for her and the something else for her brand new daughter.

Thanks...

LadyTophamHatt Thu 05-Jul-07 18:48:14

come on girls, you're all so good at this usually....

Tatties Thu 05-Jul-07 18:51:02

Someone bought me the book "What Mothers Do" by Naomi Stadlen and it was the best present I received

Idreamofdaleks Thu 05-Jul-07 18:51:25

suggest a novel & champagne & chocolate for mother, and a beautiful swaddling blanket for dd

Vinegar Thu 05-Jul-07 19:00:29

For your friend I would take a home cooked meal(or maybe a few dishes to last the week) - that's the thing I would have liked the most apart from sleep ofcourse.

For her dd -
"Look at http://www.totsplanet.co.uk/index/baby_shoes_slippers/trumpette_mary_jane_bright_socks_TR019

Everyone I have given these socks to have loved them.

LadyTophamHatt Thu 05-Jul-07 20:06:22

oooohh vinegar I LOVE those socks!!

Tatties Thu 05-Jul-07 20:07:14

Yes Trumpettes are brilliant they stay on!!

Vinegar Thu 05-Jul-07 20:39:48

They are fab. Also not so well known, so in all probability no one else would have bought her that.

WideWebWitch Thu 05-Jul-07 20:41:16

Champagne and pate/blue cheese
tell her about mumsnet
a lovely soft blanket for her dd?

Cappuccino Thu 05-Jul-07 20:42:42

I always buy a massage or a haircut

so I am in the pampering bracket and thus useless

<wanders out>

saggers Thu 05-Jul-07 20:44:45

one of these?

Thalia Thu 05-Jul-07 20:46:27

Kamillosan, nappy soak for stained babygros !

Piffle Thu 05-Jul-07 20:46:29

Coorie Sling
Lansinoh nip cream
if she is bf a breast friend pillow

LucyJones Thu 05-Jul-07 20:47:47

wine and chocolate
or luxorious bubble bath if she gets a chance for a long bath
for the baby I would get something practical like sleepsuits, bodysuits or muslin cloths. You can never have too many at the beginning.

LucyJones Thu 05-Jul-07 20:48:23

saggers are you serious ?

MrsBadger Thu 05-Jul-07 20:54:48

also offers of free babysitting while she does something else (not necc pampering)

LadyTophamHatt Thu 05-Jul-07 20:58:21

Saggers, I bought my mum one of those for xmas, stuff like that normally isn't my thing but I do really like those.

(lucy....<blows raspberry> )

LucyJones Thu 05-Jul-07 21:00:04

sorry LTH, it's just so not my thing and if my bf bought me that after I'd had my first baby I'd think
a) she was taking the pss
b) she was politely telling me she no longer wanted to be my friend

sorry

saggers Thu 05-Jul-07 21:02:54

I am serious! Find it very funny that you are so horrified by the idea! Although I don't like 'ornaments' usually, someone bought me one of these Willow Tree figures when I'd had DD1 and I was really touched. Oh shit. I'm starting to see it in a different light now. Are they actually really hideous? Can I blame my, now obvious, lack of taste on my raging hormones at the time? Or will I be collecting Lladro in a few years' time? I'm doomed...

LadyTophamHatt Thu 05-Jul-07 21:04:40

really lucy???

Its not that bad is it??

saggers Thu 05-Jul-07 21:07:58

Yes it is that bad. It's worse than bad. I have seen the light. What I took to be a kind, loving gesture from a very dear friend was actually a piss-take, and obviously her way of telling me she doesn't want to be my friend anymore. Oh how very tragic.

LadyTophamHatt Thu 05-Jul-07 21:10:28

Don't worry saggers, I tried to get DH to buy it for me when I was PG with DS4 because it is lovely IMO.

He didn't and I'd still quite like one even though its sooo far from the usual thing I like. Acytually we haven't got any ornamanty things in the house so there isn't a usual thing I like

It hard to explain it but I think it really captures that lovely feeling of holding your newborn. Its just how I hold DS4....

Do you know what?

I'm going buy one for her.

We can have bad taste together.

so ner ner ner ner ner Lucy.

saggers Thu 05-Jul-07 21:11:58

LucyJones Thu 05-Jul-07 21:12:41

oh God, pls don't take offence Saggars.
Obviously it's just my point of view and so far I'm in the minority so it's probably me that's got bad taste

Bouncingturtle Thu 05-Jul-07 21:13:33

I'm buying one for my friend when she has her baby - the one with the man, woman and baby.
But then she collects figurines so she would love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now