Talk

Advanced search

Hippychick Hipseat - what do you think about them?

(29 Posts)
GlassSlipper Tue 03-Jul-07 09:21:38

And if they're good where can I find a cheap new one?

I am getting a lot of neck problems and I'm sure it is due to the way I carry DD2 (6.5 months). I remember having the same problems with DD1 and if I dont do something about it I'll be in agaony for the next 6 months.

Advice welcome.

vonsudenfed Tue 03-Jul-07 09:32:45

I don't own one, but got to try one out going round a National Trust property a couple of weeks ago (they make you leave pushchairs in the hall, but lend out the hipseats instead).

I was pretty impressed - I've got a big bust, and so find carrying DD (7mo) tricky at the best of times, but it worked for me. I thought I'd get one a bit later on, when she wants to walk more and I can't be bothered to take a pushchair with us all the time.

But you could see if there's a NT property near you that bans pushchairs, and give one a road test!

peggotty Tue 03-Jul-07 09:36:40

Must admit I got one and have never used it. I got it from ebay pretty cheaply, so maybe try there if you think you will use it...

goingfor3 Tue 03-Jul-07 09:37:57

I have one but don't like it, try before you buy!

peggotty Tue 03-Jul-07 09:40:52

I think they are one of those things that you like the look of but when you try them they are a bit disappointing. Found mine a bit uncomfortable, and more than a little unflattering ( i.e pushing all my tummy flab up into a big hideous 'tyre' at the top of the belt so it might have been pure vanity that put me off it! My sis tried it out as well and dound it uncomfortable too.

ConnorTraceptive Tue 03-Jul-07 09:44:32

I have been disapointed with mine but DS is a very heavy 2 year old so may be better with a younger baby.
Find that it pushes down into my leg and pulls my trousers down whilst managing to push excess stomach over belt uncomfortable and not to pretty.

chevre Tue 03-Jul-07 09:50:09

dh bought me one for my birthday (the old romantic!) but i sent it back, it was really ugly looking and didn't really make carrying dd any easier imo.

something that has helped carting dd about (now she is a hefty 3 1/2) is doing pilates i am alot stronger and more aware of posture.

Peachy Tue 03-Jul-07 09:52:44

Maybe it depends onyour shape? I ahve huge hip bones and tended to sit ds's on them anyhow, so the one I tried froma friend worked for me.

Smithy Tue 03-Jul-07 09:54:13

I've got one which I was going to put on eBay as my boys are now 5 and 3. As new. Would you be interested? They retail at £34.95 - how about £25 plus postage?

GlassSlipper Tue 03-Jul-07 12:12:35

Thanks everyone. I kind of jut my hip bones out at the moment and plonk DD on them, maybe a bit like you peachy.

I'm going to see if I can road test one before I buy. Smithy - thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

amazonianwoman Tue 03-Jul-07 13:10:42

As most of the others have said, they aren't that comfy or flattering, or hands-free.

How about a ring sling or a [[

amazonianwoman Tue 03-Jul-07 13:12:52

Oops, pressed post msg too early!

Coorie Ellaroo Mei Hip are also good ones to try. The distribute weight across shoulders and hips and are more comfortable, as well as more hands-free

funnypeculiar Tue 03-Jul-07 13:24:30

I'd deffo go for a ring sling over a hip seat - much more secure & your hands are free - have used hip seats at NT properties, but if you've got a wiggly baby they're not great.
I've got one of these and people are constantly stopping me in the street & asking me where they can buy on e
<<self satisfied preen>>

Pidge Tue 03-Jul-07 13:30:48

I tried one out at a National Trust property too - and found it really uncomfortable. But I'm quite skinny and I felt like it was digging in to me - far less comfy than just carrying the child IMO! Dp found the same. But I have a friend who uses one and raves about it.

So it's one of those things you should try to test drive before you buy if at all possible.

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 14:08:10

Fabulous for a toddler but for a baby a pouch sling (Coorie) or similar would be better.

GlassSlipper Tue 03-Jul-07 15:12:01

Thanks everyone. Some really cool slings about. I just want something that will help my neck a bit and be quick and easy to use.

GlassSlipper Tue 03-Jul-07 15:13:32

like the ellaroo. will have another look around....

Rhubarb Tue 03-Jul-07 15:17:03

My MIL bought me one of these ages ago. Ds was quite a big baby and I found it useful to sit him on this as it saved me a lot of backache. You can carry them for longer and further than you could if you didn't have one. So I wouldn't recommend you go on a mile hike with one, but for popping to the shops or whatever, they do come in useful.

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 16:42:18

You can't get quicker or easier than Coorie, GlassSlipper.

LadyTophamHatt Tue 03-Jul-07 16:48:36

I'm currently trying to decide whether to make one or just buy one of these

Skribble Tue 03-Jul-07 17:04:45

Def try before you buy for Hippi Chicks, some love them and some don't find them as comfy. As for unflatering as long as the child is sitting on it they hide all the bumps .

GlassSlipper Tue 03-Jul-07 17:42:49

LadyTophamHatt - I like that it is custom made.

The more I think about it, I'm just not sure about slings. I dont know why though....cant put my finger on it

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jul-07 18:00:54

GlassSlipper, I wasn't sure about the Coorie either (like the one in LTH's link) so I made one. It was utterly fabulous and BabyDragon was in hers for every morning school run for the first 15 or so months of her life. I am now somewhat evangelical about them! I only switched to a HippyChick because she wanted to hop on and (more often!) off to walk/not walk.

LTH, at that price buy one. It saves you the hassle/time of making one - by the time you factor in the material, thread, sewing time etc it's not worth the effort. Although check that the fabric has some stretch in it as it's far easier to use.

morningpaper Tue 03-Jul-07 18:03:43

I've got a hippichick seat if you want it

cat me

LadyTophamHatt Tue 03-Jul-07 18:19:35

I've emailed the woman because I'm not sure what size to get.

Its goping to be stashed in the car so that i don't have to fight with the buggy eveyday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now