Talk

Advanced search

How do YOU make coffee and WHY can't I find a funnel???

(21 Posts)
PeachesMcLean Mon 02-Jul-07 21:01:33

I've finally been converted to fresh coffee and the two places we stayed on holiday (Italy) had these funnels you put a filter paper in and let it drip into a jug or just into your cup.

I don't have space for a fancy machine which sits on your worktop. I just want a plastic funnel thing. Can I find one??? Pah. I've tried the obvious - Lakeland and Argos but to no avail. I remember seeing them in the supermarket near Pisa for about 4 euros... but that's not a lot of use now. Am kicking myself.

What do you use? And where can I get a funnel thing?

shhhh Mon 02-Jul-07 21:12:28

I use coffee from a jar .!!

No idea where you get the funnelss from but I know what you mean..usually ones in restaurants etc.? Maybe wholesalers like costco as it may be something that the "trade" access only..?

wrinklytum Mon 02-Jul-07 21:13:35

Could you not use a cafetiere?

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 02-Jul-07 21:14:57

Peaches it took us ages to find one of these - in the end we found one in our local old-fashioned hardware shop.
Before we got it I was using an ordinary funnel. You could also cut the bottom off a plastic bottle and turn it upside-down - that would work.

frogs Mon 02-Jul-07 21:15:13

Ta da!.

Or ta da again.

'Coffee filter cones' is the term to google. And you need to use slightly more coffee than you would use in a cafetiere. A filter cone doesn't give you the nice frothy head that you get with a cafetiere, but you don't have to fiddle about with rinsing coffee grounds out of your sink either.

MrMaloryTowers Mon 02-Jul-07 21:15:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fingerwoman Mon 02-Jul-07 21:15:43

I use a filter coffee machine I'm afraid. It isn't that big though.
but, couldn't you just use a regular plastic funnel? you ought to be able to pick one up from sainsburys or robert dyas or somewhere

DoubleBluff Mon 02-Jul-07 21:16:04

I buy packs of ten on cup filter coffess in Aldis - they are fab, don't drink instant now.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 02-Jul-07 21:16:43

What, just a normal funnel, or a special type for coffee?

KTeePee Mon 02-Jul-07 21:17:14

A friend of mine has one but I'm pretty sure she bought it in France - looks like a great idea - I hate cleaning out cafetieres...

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 02-Jul-07 21:17:32

Ah, cross posted with Frogs - see what you mean now.

expatinscotland Mon 02-Jul-07 21:18:41

In a proper filter coffee maker. A DeLonghi.

That stuff in a jar is not coffee.

It is a shite excuse for coffee and a disgrace against the real thing.

PeachesMcLean Mon 02-Jul-07 21:19:33

Cone!!!!

Not Funnel. That explains it.

Frogs, you're a star.

Hate cafetieres cos they take so much cleaning.

shhhh Mon 02-Jul-07 21:23:18

ok expats, I don't drink coffee then .

frogs Mon 02-Jul-07 21:23:51

Expat, you is thinking Italian. I is harking back to my own cultural heritage, which is wickedly strong E. European coffee. For which you require a cone (plastic is okay, but ceramic nicer and don't wobble so much) and a packet of Melitta filter papers in their green and red packaging. You filter the coffee into a nice little jug, and you can even get a te little heater to keep it warm for you (you light a tealight in the bottom, in case anyone was wondering.

Lilymaid Mon 02-Jul-07 21:25:00

Coffee filters - the best known make of filter papers is Melitta. They also make the plastic funnels and glass jugs. Still available in many coffee shops (though not Whittards).

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 02-Jul-07 21:25:16

Drip coffee is meant to be better for you than cafetiere coffee - something to do with cholesterol I think. The cleaning out coffee grounds issue is important too, of course.

frogs Mon 02-Jul-07 21:26:06

But agree the freeze-dried stuff in jars is not coffee. Shamefully I have only partially converted dh to the real stuff, and he usually has a little jar of Kenco which he hides at the back of the cupboard somewhere and drinks when my back is turned. [bleeeargh emoticon]

PeachesMcLean Mon 02-Jul-07 21:29:07

Am loving the little heater thing. I've just remembered a friend who had one when we were 16 (many many moons ago). Her mother was Finnish and her father Polish. (which is relevant only in the E Europe not Italian comment)

calordan Mon 02-Jul-07 21:32:12

have a senseo machine, quicker that a kettle, love it and the grounds dont go everywhere, warm the milk first and press the button,love it

SpacePuppy Mon 02-Jul-07 21:41:42

Desktop Coffee Maker £9.95

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now