Talk

Advanced search

What is a good alternative to wooden floorboards?

(27 Posts)
ViciousSquirrelSpotter Mon 02-Jul-07 20:46:49

I have what used to be lovely original wooden floorboards all through the ground floor of my house.

But in the dining room, they are minging. I got them re-sanded five years ago and after 5 years of the kids dropping food on them, all the varnish is coming off, they are filthy and I can never clean them properly even when I polish them.

So what should I do? You can only sand them so often before they get too thin apparantly so I was thinking of putting some of that modern lino type flooring over them so that when the kids are older we can take it off and re-do them. But would that be terribly naff? Can anyone recommend anything that will actually look nice?

chocolateshoes Mon 02-Jul-07 20:52:39

We ahve Karndean wood style in our living rm / dining rm & I think it looks really good. There's loads of different woods - can't remember which ours is

PeachesMcLean Mon 02-Jul-07 20:55:58

There's some good linos around though I think they call them vinyl these days. Dunno why. We've got it in the kitchen and bathroom. I think it's ok.

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 20:58:58

We have terracotta tiles, which run through the dining room and into the kitchen and look really nice. We have underfloor heating (the cheap electric variety) for the winter.
You just need to cover the floorboards with MDF then tile on top of that, so you can remove them later if you want to.

hana Mon 02-Jul-07 20:59:48

I've never heard of floorboards getting too thin? very odd. I'd get a second opinion on that

you can't beat original wooden floorboards

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 20:59:57

My mum's got vinyl which looks very much like laminate.

DoubleBluff Mon 02-Jul-07 20:59:57

Chocolateshoes i really like the Karndean products.
Would you mind saying how much it is per sq meter - doesn't say on website?

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Mon 02-Jul-07 21:24:00

But the other thing about them is that the food goes down the cracks

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 21:25:08

Mine like to 'post' DCs and DVDs down the cracks in our living room floorboards.

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 21:25:34

That should be CDs, not DCs.

francagoestohollywood Mon 02-Jul-07 21:30:41

I don't think there's anythjingg better than wooden floorboards (imo), but I'd give http://www.dalsouple.com/dalsouple2/index-fl.html a try.

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 21:34:56

Oooh, i love rubber flooring. I'm going to have that in my new bathroom, if we ever get round to building it.

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Mon 02-Jul-07 21:38:54

Hmm like the idea of rubber flooring, but have an image of all of us bouncing about all over the dining room...

I presume it's not like that.

LIZS Mon 02-Jul-07 21:39:53

Can you create a floating floor - new boards over an underlay on the existing ones ?

contentiouscat Mon 02-Jul-07 21:40:45

LOL at the mental image of DCs falling through the gaps in the floorboards.

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Mon 02-Jul-07 21:42:47

Yes, as in to a circle of hell or something

hana Mon 02-Jul-07 21:44:11

we have a rubber floor in the kitchen, i'ts great. v hardwearing with 3 kids - we have french doors into the garden off the kitchen, so it gets a lot of knocks .still v v nice

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 21:46:07

Hana, is it easy to keep clean?

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Mon 02-Jul-07 21:48:12

Is it expensive?

hana Mon 02-Jul-07 21:49:42

yes, fairly expensive, but quite easy to keep clean - it does mark and sometimes if I haven't wiped spills up immediately it will leave a small stain, but doesn't detract from the whole kitchen floor. Was about £700 i think - we also had the floor screeded to level it out.

hana Mon 02-Jul-07 21:50:14

it's not dalsouple, but same thing - it's got the little raised circles ( can't remember the make)

hana Mon 02-Jul-07 21:50:25

altro

LyraB Mon 02-Jul-07 21:50:44

Which colour have you got? Not white

hana Mon 02-Jul-07 21:51:33

not white, no! ghastly!

it's a mid shade of slate gray (white kitchen, dark counters)

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Tue 03-Jul-07 12:51:55

That karndean stuff looks good, but I've never seen it anywhere

Where is it stocked

Do John Lewis do flooring? (I can't remember ever seeing anything but rugs, and i really think you need to see something "in the flesh" as it were)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now