Talk

Advanced search

Sony Magic (memory) Sticks

(14 Posts)
JoolsToo Mon 02-Jul-07 18:32:23

ok help a dimwit please.

what's the difference, if any, between a Memory Stick Pro and a Memory Stick Pro Duo?

and will they fit any Sony camera?

Ta

JoolsToo Mon 02-Jul-07 18:33:05

see?

Memory Stick Pro and Memory Stick Pro Duo

Magic Gate

doh!

JoolsToo Mon 02-Jul-07 18:43:39

come on there must be at least ONE camera genius hiding here!

lynniep Mon 02-Jul-07 19:14:53

I think pro duos are just smaller. They usually come with an adapter to fit memory stick pro slots. Its not backwards compatible, so the pro duo would be the wise option if you arent sure. My Sony camcorder has a slot for a pro duo. (Not an expert - only know this since got the camcorder!)

JoolsToo Mon 02-Jul-07 19:35:40

hmmm
my camera is a Pro but all the sticks I've seen are Pro Duo

wots backwards compatible?

lynniep Tue 03-Jul-07 10:21:43

All I mean by backwards compatible is that if you have a camera that takes a Memory Stick Pro Duo, I dont think it will take a Memory Stick Pro because its physically bigger.
If you have a camera that takes a Memory Stick Pro, then you can get either card, as long as if you get the Duo you also get an adapter.

Best thing is to have a look say, here:
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/
Do a search on 'Memory Stick Pro'.
You'll see there are three options. Click on the 'info' button for the SanDisk 512MB Memory Stick . You'll see that theres a 'is my device compatible' button. Check if your camera is on there.

If you go back to the search (or do it again!) then you'll also find Memory Stick Pro Duos a bit further down. There are lots more options. Looks like you'd have to buy an adapter separately but you'd have to check.

Basically, I'd say - check the compatibility as above - if you are sure it requires a pro then just get one. If you aren't then get a pro duo and an adapter.

Other things that will probably do your head in:
Dont worry about 'extreme' and 'ultra' versions - thats for professional photographers who need really quick downloads and I don't think its necessary.
Dont buy 'micro' or 'microSD' or something similar by accident. It can be really confusing.
Don't feel you have to buy Sony - its not necessary - Sandisk or Kingston should be fine and cheaper. (Having said that, this seems like a good deal)
Don't feel you have to buy bucketloads of memory. Really 512MB is quite enough for photos, however for movies you might want more(check your cameras limit - mine is 2GB)
It does depend on the camera you have though. The last one I had was 2Megapixels and a 128MB card held hundreds of photos. Obviously if you've got a 6MP camera, it will hold less, but then you can download them onto your pc anyway and delete from camera.

Hope that helps!

as an asides, amazon do some good deals on memory cards, so its worth having a look there

Tentiebug Tue 03-Jul-07 10:23:26

ebuyer is good for memory cards and that kind of thing.

lynniep Tue 03-Jul-07 10:23:38

oh, ps, i'd double check what I've told you with the retailer before you buy - I've been known to talk out of my bottom

LennyLapin Tue 03-Jul-07 10:25:09

http://www.dabs.com are good

LennyLapin Tue 03-Jul-07 10:25:26

What camera have you got, Jools?

JoolsToo Tue 03-Jul-07 17:47:29

ooh, ooh - are you camera literate lapin?

Sony Cyberhsot DSC S80

<waits expectantly>

JoolsToo Tue 03-Jul-07 17:49:54

lynniep - that's marvellous, a big thank you

dazedorconfused Tue 03-Jul-07 17:55:07

Just to add, you need to confirm that you don't necessarily need to buy Sony, as only a few other manufacturers have the license to manufacture the technology.

Kingston is definitely the best but I know don't have all the Sony patents.

JoolsToo Tue 03-Jul-07 18:00:38

thanks, I think I'll stick with Sony!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now