Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lets talk highchairs....

(43 Posts)
shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 21:36:41

For dd we sent over £100 on the m&p's prima pappa rocker...pile of sh1t....A nightmare to put up each feed,constantly trapping fingers etc, A NIGHTMARE to clean...
YET it was sturdy,comfyand has done dd well for 2 years.

Now we are at the stage of looking at weaning ds and theres no way I am going through another 2 battle with dd's highchair..I have well and truly fallen out with it.

So suggestions please..I don't want to spend in excess of £50 as I think I learnt my lesson there YET I want one thats sturdy and quite padded....Also compact if possible.

Mothercare's own is what my mum has for dd BUT tbh I never found it very "snug" till dd was around 18 months, prior to that it seemed like she would fall out of it. BUT this is the type I can see for the price we want to pay..

like this

Suggestions welcome. TIA. xx

Bibis Fri 29-Jun-07 21:38:57

We have used one of those 'cube' chairs from babies r us that turns into a little table and chair. Have used it for all four of them and it is still going strong

MatNanPlus Fri 29-Jun-07 21:39:25

What about a booster seat at the table, some recline?

Easily portable and to clean?

NikkiBFG Fri 29-Jun-07 21:41:28

We have the Chicco one with a storage space underneath - Chicco Happy Snack. Its great - really sturdy, folds up good, easy to clean, padded and the storage space comes in very handy!

Bibis Fri 29-Jun-07 21:41:30

Found one for you, you can remove the tray when they are bigger bottom of page half price

shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 21:47:05

bibis, mum suggested one of those BUT tbh I don't think it would be to great space wise...we have ample space BUT my dinning room no longer resembles a dining room but a pram park,a toy store oh and a kitchen..!

Not sure about a booster seat either mnp...means each feed would have us all sat at the table which isn't always possible...

Sorry for being awkward.....

CarGirl Fri 29-Jun-07 21:52:32

I had a mamas & papas Luca (an old style now but they come up on ebay) fantastic - large tray, folds easily and stores virtually flat, no nooks & cranies for the food etc. Have a look - that is the type of thing you want. I have had several other highchairs and it was one of the best.

MrsBadger Fri 29-Jun-07 21:53:38

ikea antilop
get a cushion

CarGirl Fri 29-Jun-07 21:54:40

the cafe junior is a newer version of it, the big footrest thing was great for catching lots of dropped food too!

moondog Fri 29-Jun-07 21:55:43

Second the Antelop.
Cheap,sturdy,looks good and a dream to clean.
(Never had a cushion.)

MrsBadger Fri 29-Jun-07 21:56:41

(I wouldn't bother with cushion either but OP specifies 'quite padded')

CarGirl Fri 29-Jun-07 21:57:58

antilop fantastic from cleaning point of view but don't think it has a tray (I love having a tray to whisk all the mess straight into the kitchen), and does it fold?

Bibis Fri 29-Jun-07 21:58:58

I got a trip trap out of the local paper for £50, could/would you buy second hand? If so have a trawl of local papers

MrsBadger Fri 29-Jun-07 22:04:32

tray available seperately for £3

doesn't fold, but legs come off easily if you want to take it to grandma's etc

MatNanPlus Fri 29-Jun-07 22:05:05

Ikea Antilop highchair £11.99

Tray to fit Antilop £3.00

Stadig inflatable side and back cushion £3.49

£18.48 and a brill highchair.

shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 22:08:09

antilop is what our local restaurant uses for their highchairs and I must admit it suits dd down to the ground BUT not sure about ds..quite low sides and not very protected/padded iykwim....

Do like the chicco one though nikki...Sorry about delay in reply but just checking out the suggestions..! .

Just looked at the muca/cafe junior..very similar to the mothercare one/cosatto on the move etc... Do others recommend these esp from around 6 months.? Like I said, mum has one so its been used a couple of times with dd BUT although it seems a dream to clean I have always been a bit about the safety side..

shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 22:08:27

sorry meant to say the "luca" one...

MatNanPlus Fri 29-Jun-07 22:08:30

ebay

Lovely wooden high char with tray and padded liner NEW £24.90 and £12 P&P sent from Germany.

shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 22:09:03

also the ikea one doesn't have a tray which we would need...

maisym Fri 29-Jun-07 22:09:32

the ikea white plastic chair - easy to wipe clean.

shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 22:13:42

hmmm..the antilop one looks brill but not keen on it on the storage side of things...But the easy clean bit etc is on the right lines.

Never thought about ebay so just checking them now....

Looking for brand new....

Thanks so far everyone. xx

MrsBadger Fri 29-Jun-07 22:17:17

do you really put it away after every meal?

tbh the Antilop has quite a small footprint, and it looks so much better than the hideous padded ones that leaving it out may not be as bad as you think
and it's so easy to move you can whizz it under the dining table with minimal effort.

MatNanPlus Fri 29-Jun-07 22:20:14

shhhh

the Ikea Antilop does come with a tray, you purchase it seperatly.

katelyle Fri 29-Jun-07 22:25:12

If you can find a second hand trip trap I would really recommend them. My dd and ds are 11 and 6 and still use theirs. Dd doesn't use hers at the table any more but he has it as a desk chair in her room and she finds it incredibly comfortable. Ds still uses his at the table. If you think of it as pence per use, they are probably practically free by now!

shhhh Fri 29-Jun-07 22:33:29

mrsbadger...sadly yes I do put it away after EVERY use . It get used at lunch, then goes into the dining room, it comes out again at dinner..then goes away....

Im to much of a tidy person...dh wants me now to admit to my ocd problems...!!

Do like the trip trap and have used one for dd once, agree the are ott price wise but look/seem worth it..Hmm........to much choice now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now