Talk

Advanced search

Place your vote here for the most comfy, user friendly sling!

(50 Posts)
FlossALump Tue 26-Jun-07 18:51:33

As I am feeling baffled and will probably need to use it alot for the first few months so want to get the 'right' one. Am currently looking mainly at the premaxx or the freedom sling but will consider anything really! TIA!

LilianGish Tue 26-Jun-07 18:58:30

BabyBjorn without a doubt. Used it with both mine - nice wide shoulder straps are really comfy and very easy to get baby in and out.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jun-07 19:00:47

Coorie.

Baby Bjorn type slings are now thought to to be bad for the baby's hips/pelvis as they're kind of hanging on them.

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 19:01:27

Huggababy

get a sling where the baby can lie down as it isn't ideal for them to be upright for long periods

I used my Huggababy until ds was 3, for occasional trips where he was tired and pushchair wasn't convenient

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 19:02:14

upright sling also not so good for baby's spine as not designed to be upright until can sit up and bear weight on it

bookthief Tue 26-Jun-07 19:02:52

Coorie from Brightspark slings. Never could get to grips with a ring sling.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jun-07 19:06:39

when are you due? I@d recommend a Kimmer if it's to be a summer baby. They're the same as a coorie only cotton jersey rather than fleece so are cooler. BabyDragon has been using either a Coorie of a Kimmer since she was born. I love them because they are so simple, they double up as a blanket and you can wriggle out of them and put the baby down or in a carseat without waking them

FlossALump Tue 26-Jun-07 19:15:39

I'm due in september and expect to be making regular trips with sling on way to and from nursery for DS! Would rather have a sling rather than a carrier although I didn't know that about the back/pelvis.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jun-07 19:23:52

Well, until about 4 weeks ago when I switched to a HippyChick, BabyDragon has been on every morning school run in either the Coorie or Kimmer.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jun-07 19:26:01

I never got on with a ring sling but lots of people do. The downside of the pouch slings like the Coorie is that they're not adjustable but I think that's what I liked about them.

goingfor3 Tue 26-Jun-07 19:26:45

I loved my baby bjorn, used it loads, both girls walked at 9 months so they didn't have any hip/pelvis damage.

clairemagnolia Tue 26-Jun-07 19:28:17

My Freedom sling was the best 25 quid I ever spent. DD is 2 now and never been in a buggy and loves going in the sling. (I have the unpadded ring sling.)

aviatrix Tue 26-Jun-07 19:29:51

Message withdrawn

suedonim Tue 26-Jun-07 19:31:09

Intersting about the upright aspect, F&Z, as people here in Nigeria strap their babies upright onto their backs. Children here have such strong necks and gorgeous shaped heads.

The Kimmer looks like a selandang which they use in Indonesia. That's made from a strip of fabric which wraps round the baby and tucks into the mum's shoulder. Dd used to carry her dolls that way.

FlossALump Tue 26-Jun-07 19:32:22

I have visions of DP using it but can't work out how realistic that is! He used the carrier with DS probably more than I did TBH but he didn't drive then.

chevre Tue 26-Jun-07 19:46:13

wilkienet, once you get used to the ridiculously long straps it is fantastic. carried dd on my front right up to 8 months.

Piffle Tue 26-Jun-07 19:47:39

Coorie
I tried baby bjorn active - awful on my back
new native pouch - no give in fabric
kari me, too much faff and he hated it

Coorie - instant love

bookthief Tue 26-Jun-07 19:49:54

Well I have to say that dh has used the Baby Bjorn carrier that we borrowed loads. He seems to regard it as a very manly method of baby transport. Must be the red/black and all those straps .

He can't use the coorie as it's sized for me but I think he have been less likely to use a sling anyway.

Piffle Tue 26-Jun-07 19:51:09

my dp took one look at the coorie and laughed when I said I'd get him one.
2 wks later after carrying a crying ds2, he ordered one and now wears it with pride ( and with a sleeping baby)

wulfricsmummy Tue 26-Jun-07 19:52:01

Message withdrawn

Piffle Tue 26-Jun-07 19:54:33

my osteo told me that the BB was the cause of my neck and shoulder pain no such thing since ditching it and that was the active one with the extra support
/
Don't rate it but lots of people love it

bookthief Tue 26-Jun-07 19:56:20

So you reckon if there's a next time, I should get him a red/black coorie and maybe sew some sort of webbing to it, maybe a couple of buckles and we'd be good to go?

Helluva lot cheaper anyway

Liska Tue 26-Jun-07 19:57:57

My dd hates the baby bjorn cos she is too young to face out and so can't see anything but my chin. Borrowed a friend's karri me and she was a happy bunny - also the karri me was much better on my back than the baby bjorn.

mamama Tue 26-Jun-07 19:59:57

Kangaroo corner adjustable fleece pouch

and/ or Ergo - better for the baby than the babybjorn because it supports them better and you can use it until the kids are quite old - I know people who carry 3 year olds in their Ergo.

kiskidee Tue 26-Jun-07 20:04:06

anyone tried a mei tai? they are similar to an ergo but have tying straps so simple to adjust.

i have one and really like it. have my second sitting in the post office waiting to be picked up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now