Talk

Advanced search

Ergo for the larger-norked woman

(21 Posts)
accessorizewithbabysick Fri 22-Jun-07 21:16:45

Was thinking about selling on our back carrier (it's a littelife or bush something, I think) and replacing with an ergo which would be more portable and I might be likely to use. I never used the back carrier with ds1. DS2 6.5 months. I had a look at the videos on the ergo site and wondered whether the strap across the chest would make me look even more gargantuan than I am (which is fairly large) as still bf. And might be a little uncomfortable? Anyone own an ergo with large norks if you don't mind my asking?!

Loopymumsy Fri 22-Jun-07 22:03:41

Message withdrawn

accessorizewithbabysick Fri 22-Jun-07 22:46:12

Thanks, loopymumsy, that's really reassuring. I'm an H at the mo'. You've gone right to the heart of the matter, I just feel that everything looks awful on me, wouldn't use it it if I looked even worse! Might go ahead and rent one, dp is very keen on it.

Loopymumsy Fri 22-Jun-07 23:06:32

Message withdrawn

accessorizewithbabysick Sat 23-Jun-07 19:28:40

I'm watching one on ebay as I type...thanks again lm.

Loopymumsy Sun 24-Jun-07 11:57:26

Message withdrawn

accessorizewithbabysick Sun 24-Jun-07 22:22:32

Drat, missed it, tho it only went for £40. We'll get about £50 for the back carrier we've got so might buy a new one!

amazonianwoman Fri 29-Jun-07 21:36:10

Hello I love my Ergo as much as my Mountain Buggy Am currently 38E and just tried on Ergo to see if DS will fit in it soon. He's not quite there yet, but norks looked fine (not that they're ginormous tho')

You can move chest strap up away from the offending area if it improves the look It isn't fixed like on framed back carriers.

Go on, get one , they're miles better than framed ones. I hate our LittleLife but can still carry 34lbs 3yr old on back in Ergo

accessorizewithbabysick Sat 30-Jun-07 16:47:01

Hey AW, I am liking the sound of it more and more. don't know if I'm going to get my bum in gear to order one in time (we're going away in a week, and sure it would be v.useful in Scotland). He's definitely big enough to be in it, 17 pounds, 7 months. I never tried our framed carrier, just seems big and awkward.
Are you using MB now? I finally sent off the bug last week, really pleased to be down to 1 pushchair. DS1 sits on the front quite comfortably with his knees up, thinks it great, so am selling the kiddyboard too!

Millarkie Sat 30-Jun-07 17:15:46

I used to own an ergo - I'm an f cup and looked so ridiculous with the chest strap that I only used the ergo in public once...I sold it.
I had a karrimor back carrier (papoose) which suited me better (but was a framed carrier)..also was easier for loading/unloading baby. Best was my huggababy which got easier and easier to use the bigger the baby got!

accessorizewithbabysick Sat 30-Jun-07 19:23:22

Thanks Millarkie, interesting to hear the other side of the story! I'm not hugely bothered to be honest, we're getting it mainly to replace our Vaude Jolly pack which dp used. He'd like to carry ds2 around, but the babybjorn is getting too uncomfortable for him. I'm sure he won't have a problem with the Ergo & we both just want something that's a darn sight more portable than the vaude. I also have a pouch sling, which I use every day and I'm quite happy with it esp now I can use a hip carry. If the ergo is ok for me to, that's a bonus!

kiskidee Sat 30-Jun-07 20:42:19

a friend of mine has a black ergo new generation to sell. it also comes with a tote bag. she wants £48 for it plus postage which would poss be about £2. its nearly new.

MaeWest Sat 30-Jun-07 20:50:15

Not tried framed back-carrier, but carrying DS (11months) in our Ergo is like a warm wriggly rucksack (we have new generation one). I am fairly large in the nork dept (usually H, larger when bf) and the strap does make the boobs a little noticeable, but - hey, they're never going to look small

accessorizewithbabysick Sat 30-Jun-07 21:08:35

What a lovely image Mae DS2 lurrrves being in my sling pouch, he positively bursts with excitement when I'm putting it on so I'm sure he'd love it in an ergo.
Kiskidee, hmm, definitely interested, but wanted to get it pretty fast as we're going away in a week? Was just about to order from littlepossums. Not setup to CAT, but could email me (holyhandbag at yahoo dot co uk)?

amazonianwoman Sat 30-Jun-07 22:14:22

AQ - grab the black one, you won't regret it! DD always loved ours, and hated the framed one once she was older.

DS is 3.5mths and at least 17lbs already Whenever I put him in the MB (which he loves in pushchair mode - wasn't keen on carrycot) DD has a hissy fit and insists on turfing him out cos it's HER BUGGY. Aaargh! Which bit does your DS1 sit on? The metal footplate? Might suggest that to DD and her eternally "tired legs". Dying to use the MB more, P&T good but still not a patch...

Which pouch sling do you have? Thinking of getting one for popability. Have 2 wraparounds which I love but they aren't quick to put on, esp in rainy carparks.

accessorizewithbabysick Sat 30-Jun-07 22:23:29

Gosh, aw, didn't get much use out of the carrycot, did you? DS2 much happier out of it too. DS1 sits on the footplate, puts his arms back to hang onto the pushchair, quite happy, ds2 thinks it's fab too.
I'm using a hotslings pouch, but would have bought a kimmer if they were doing them at the time (hotslings made in the states, prefer to buy homegrown). It's very pretty (I have the sweetpea) and I get lots of comments, but fabric is a little slippy at times. Find it excellent for nursery runs, but getting the sizing right is really tricky, I sent 2 back before I got the right size. Really nice in hip mode now, very comfy.

accessorizewithbabysick Sat 30-Jun-07 22:24:37

Meant to say, I so love the mb, even with both ds's and full load of shopping I can push quite easily!

amazonianwoman Sat 30-Jun-07 22:37:45

Thx will look at hotslings and kimmer.

No, didn't use carrycot much, so glad I only paid £45 for it 2nd hand. Hoping to recoup most of that when I sell it on

accessorizewithbabysick Tue 03-Jul-07 12:39:11

I paid £60 for mine! youll def get money back.
Ergo arrived this morning, really great, haven't tried back carry yet, will have a go, but love it so far very very comfy and lightweight. Sorry kiskidee hope your friend sells hers, but yellow dragonflies too girly for dp!

amazonianwoman Tue 03-Jul-07 13:07:37

This site has great photo instructions for the Ergo, the back method on pages 19 onwards was DD's favourite

accessorizewithbabysick Tue 03-Jul-07 21:54:09

thanks aw. comfortably carried ds2 in a front carry for half an hour, will get dp to help me do a back one tomorrow morning. Really pleased we can take it to scotland with us, ideal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now