Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need a new vacuum - what do you like/not like about yours?

(18 Posts)
willywonka Thu 21-Jun-07 12:59:59

Sorry, dull as ditch water but vac died this morning and I'll need to pick up a new one quite quickly. Thinking of a bagless number but budget is tight and there are soooo many to choose from. Recommendations would be very welcome - thanks.

barney2 Thu 21-Jun-07 13:36:31

Bagless cleaners are economic (ie you don't have the bags to buy) but hell to empty into your bin on a windy day!

brimfull Thu 21-Jun-07 13:41:34

henry is simple but very heavy to lug around and not bagless.

I am waiting for him to die and I'm going to get a sebo like this or this

barney2 Thu 21-Jun-07 13:51:27

I've always used Miele - they can be expensive to buy new but if you look on ebay you can get some really good second hand bargains. They are excellent.

maisym Thu 21-Jun-07 13:52:56

I have a philips bagless and it makes a huge sound. Don't know the problem.

maisym Thu 21-Jun-07 13:53:09

maisym Thu 21-Jun-07 13:53:17

nearlythere Thu 21-Jun-07 15:13:52

buy a roomba and have done with it!

barney2 Thu 21-Jun-07 16:05:48

Just employ some gorgeous male au-pair to do the housework for you until you can get around to buying a new machine!

Deux Thu 21-Jun-07 18:14:09

I have a Henry and loathe it. I keep hoping it will self destruct but suspect it will keep going for ever. Previously had a Dyson and my ideal would be some kind of hybrid between the two.

Henry has great suction but found I had to buy a beater attachement thing for doing the carpets as the one it came with was rubbish. The poles and hose are very very long which is great for a big space but I find myself crashing it into things the whole time eg, in the hall/tight spaces. I'm 5'4" and I think I'd find it easier to use if I was taller because of the length of the poles. Perhaps I should vacuum in high heels, DH would be delighted. The pole bit doesn't clip onto the main vacuum which I find a pain for storage.

I'm thinking Sebo or Miele next.

I hate vacuuming.

barney2 Thu 21-Jun-07 18:25:43

Miele's are so good they bring the pile back up on the carpet - brilliant machines.

Dyson addict here, works well on all floors, no bags and not too pricey

Homebird8 Thu 21-Jun-07 18:43:47

I hate my Dyson upright!

It's too tall for me and pokes me in my un-ample bosom every time I try to go near it.

It's heavy and there's nowhere for anyone under the height of 6' to get hold of it.

It threatens to break every bone in my body when I carry it up or down stairs.

Getting at the hose involves major heart surgery.

Emptying the dust collector covers me in dust.

It refuses to pick up items such as rice crispies and raisins.

DH loves it (his parents gave it to us) and points out how much dust it picks up. I comment that I could do that with my bare hands given the state of the house because I can't clean with it.

willywonka Thu 21-Jun-07 18:47:52

Anyone else? Ta!

jennifersofia Thu 21-Jun-07 22:22:44

We have a bosch (non-upright) - it is okay. Has worked hard (daily for 3+yrs). Not spectacular, but seems to work.
I have heard many people complain about their Dysons!

Troutpout Thu 21-Jun-07 22:35:06

I've just brought a Miele and it is blardy brilliant...tad expensive but so worth it....and i bet you can get some cheaper deals on them out there somewhere. Also... even the cheapest of the range still came out near the top in a recent Which report. They literally raise the carpet up with the amount of suction they use. Had a Dyson before...which i never got on with and the attachments drove me mad(they are all tucked away with the miele.
Anyway...that's my recommendation

barney2 Fri 22-Jun-07 07:55:09

We call our local dump 'Dyson City'....due to the amount of Dyson's that congregate there waiting for new homes....

willywonka Fri 22-Jun-07 11:08:34

Shall start looking for Miele deals then... Many thanks for your comments, it always pays to have some real feedback!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now