Talk

Advanced search

Mazda Bongo Camper - yes or no?

(27 Posts)
barking Sun 17-Jun-07 20:02:04

Hi - I have seen the other threads on this and having googled for many weeks now, I just wanted to ask if there is a dealer anyone would recommend in the South West?

Ideally would like a silver Ford Freda or Bongo, I've found someone in Plymouth but he hasn't got any in silver and doesn't know when the next one will be. I really want one before the summer. I am paranoid about safety having 3 children and want to find one from someone who is super trustworthy.

Also any Bongo experiences welcome as our family are trying to put us off with worries about wind wobble and fuel consumption etc. does it cost extra to tax? is 4 wheel really better than 2 wheel drive? Is ABS necessary? Do I try and wait for a manual instead of automatic? and are there any good insurance companies you would recommend?

Looking to spend £5- £6.5k
I have visited the Bongofury website and understand there is a blacklist of dealers but I am not a member - would anyone kindly tell me if there is anyone to avoid?

This will be our only car and having had a very reliable old basic volkswagen golf without knowing anything about cars, I worry the Bongo sounds quite complicated to look after, but they look sooooo lovely.......

barking Sun 17-Jun-07 20:19:02

bump

FioFio Sun 17-Jun-07 20:19:59

Message withdrawn

barking Sun 17-Jun-07 20:45:03

FioFio - Have heard the name 'Mafia wagons' [ grin]
Oh well, it will make me look more interesting I suppose, especially if I get the blacked out glass which they all seem to have - though can't help but think it looks a tad unfriendly? Or will my children wreck the blinds if I go for the clear glass option?

Does everyone think they are really worth the money as I'm hoping my Bongo will give the family and I a new lease of life - to be spontaneous again, stay overnight at the beach because everyone is having such a crazy fun time or go to France for the weekend?

Oh I can't wait much longer - being a little over 5ft, I will be able to see over the steering wheel for the first time!

FioFio Sun 17-Jun-07 20:46:39

Message withdrawn

barking Sun 17-Jun-07 20:56:51

But what happens at night when you are getting everyone to bed and the light is on inside - can everyone see in?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 17-Jun-07 21:04:00

There's place that does theses near Stafford I think.

FioFio Sun 17-Jun-07 21:09:08

Message withdrawn

barking Sun 17-Jun-07 21:19:26

Oh swoon.....
Is it reallly necessary to have a kitchen? I am hoping to use a coolbox and a camper stove as and when needed.
Having 3 children means it will still be a squeeze for them sleeping in the roof - does it work?

FioFio Sun 17-Jun-07 21:20:49

Message withdrawn

barking Sun 17-Jun-07 21:25:47

Thanks FioFio

barking Mon 18-Jun-07 09:59:51

Bump

barking Mon 18-Jun-07 19:45:46

bump for evening crowd

barking Mon 18-Jun-07 21:38:39

bongo owners - where are you?

FioFio Mon 18-Jun-07 21:43:21

Message withdrawn

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 18-Jun-07 21:48:11

In her camper........?

Ellbell Mon 18-Jun-07 21:50:21

barking... I can't answer your questions, I'm afraid, but I did have a Bongo thread going a little while ago, and there are answers to some of these things there... Do a search on my name and Bongo and you might find something. There is someone who has a Bongo called 'Mr Bongo'. And someone (possibly gess) did recommend a Bongo dealer in Plymouth, I think... Hold on, I'll have a look and see what I can dig out for you....

FioFio Mon 18-Jun-07 21:51:53

Message withdrawn

Ellbell Mon 18-Jun-07 21:51:57

Here is one thread.

Peachy Mon 18-Jun-07 21:52:00

Oooh yes. they're cute

Most alrger famillies move on to a pup tent alongside as soon as the kids are old enough, from what I can see.

Would uk campsite be a good place to ask about dealers?

Ellbell Mon 18-Jun-07 21:53:41

And another one here.

barking Tue 19-Jun-07 13:34:36

thanks Ellbell - have been enjoying reading more threads on Bongos - did you get one?

Ellbell Tue 19-Jun-07 15:36:12

No. Dh got me a bike for my birthday instead. Tis a nice bike, but it's not a Bongo! I still hope to get one, though. Maybe next year!

pavlovthecat Tue 19-Jun-07 15:49:29

I know a couple of people with Bongos, however, they dont have children. They do use it all the time tho, and I have heard nothing bad about them. We are considering getting one next year so will watch these threads with interest.

barking Tue 19-Jun-07 17:47:26

I've just been ringing around all the dealers and the big thing I am being warned about is making sure the Bongo comes with a BIMTA certificate to authenticate the milage - apparently there has been lots of cases of fiddling with the clocks.
Oh sigh, the weeks I have spent researching, and googling endless dealers, pouring over photographs, specifications that I have no idea what they mean, the children have been so neglected.
I just want to get a Bongo
Boo
hoo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now