Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AMTICO

(13 Posts)
jampot Tue 03-Aug-04 14:03:08

We got a quote for Amtico yesterday for our hall & bathroom (both small) from a flooring shop. Found this website for discount AMTICO here - much cheaper.

BIL tells me his man charges £120m2

CountessDracula Tue 03-Aug-04 14:50:07

A warning - we had amtico in the whole ground floor of our house (insurance job, had a leak and amtico was there before so we replaced like with like, not our choice)

We had a wood one, American Oak I think. It was awful! The finish on it scratched off in about 3 days and it never looked any good after that. It showed every scratch and looked dull despite repeated re-applications of the dressing.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole! I think the rougher finish ones are ok but I wouldn't go for the wood look.

jampot Tue 03-Aug-04 19:28:59

Really CD? The reason we want it is because it's supposed to be really hardwearing. We wanted a light wood for the hall and a stone tile for the bathroom. May have to rethink my options now.. anyone else got a view on it?

CountessDracula Wed 04-Aug-04 15:26:22

jampot bear in mind that I have a large dog so her claws probably made matters worse.

Think the stone tile one would be fine, it's only the wood ones I have had probs with (we had another one in the bathroom that was absolutely fine). I just think that for high traffic areas you will be stripping off and putting on the dressing all the time. Why not get wood?

Davros Wed 04-Aug-04 18:41:09

Agree totally with CD. We also had a wood-look one and it looked great just after being installed but was never the same after that. Got scratched, dull and looked like naff vinyl. We don't have a dog and only 2 of us using that room at the time (bathroom so got some wear).

mckenzie Wed 04-Aug-04 18:45:51

we have american oak in the downstairs hallway/toilet etc and norwegian slate in the kitchen. We're delighted with both.
Make sure you get an experienced Amtico fitter.

Enid Sat 11-Jun-05 19:33:13

Noooooooooooooooooo

have been obsessing over what floor to have in the kids bathroom (new).

The man in the shop showed me the American Oak Karndean (like amtico) and I was sold!

It can't have a drawback, it can't!

I have been through every bloomin flooring on the planet.

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 11-Jun-05 19:35:01

We were supposed to be getting this for our Kitchen too.

BIL is getting it too. I never heard of it until he mentioned it.

anchovies Sat 11-Jun-05 19:35:52

I've got oak amtico in the hall and a bluey one in the bathroom and they've been down for about 5 years and still look fab

Enid Sat 11-Jun-05 19:37:05

well the one I like is Karndean which I think is the same thing as Amtico (I should know as I have thought about nothing else for about 2 weeks)

bobs Sun 31-Jul-05 23:30:56

It's the same thing except Amtico is twice the price - apparently allow £100 per m2 for supplying and fitting Amtico. My mum has Karndean and it looks great

pabla Mon 01-Aug-05 10:24:42

I had Amtico in the bathroom of our old house and loved it - still looked good as new when we moved. We were persuaded to have Karndean in the bathroom of our current house when we did it up - I'm really disappointed with it. It has scratched a lot where the laundry basket gets pulled out and there are stains which won't come off (bleach I think from when ds2 fiddles with the loo brush!) I think you are supposed to strip off the surface coating and reseal it every so often, but TBH, who has the time to do that?

ajmum Mon 01-Aug-05 14:13:08

Had to post as I was discussing bad Amtico problems with someone just the other day. I think the product is good but make sure the person who installs Amtico is good at what they do. I had Amtico in a bathroom and it lifted at the edges really quickly. They came back to 'fix' it but it never really worked out. My stepmum-in-law has had the same problem (hers looks really bad at the edges) and she can't get it fixed as the installer has gone out of business!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now