Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Lamy products

(30 Posts)
YearOfYouRemember Tue 06-Feb-18 18:34:29

My Lamy cartridges don't fit my fountain pen so I need to buy another pen. Can anyone recommend a good one please? TIA.

SueSueDonahue Tue 06-Feb-18 18:36:38

A lamy one? 😆

I always buy lamy now, both for adults and children. They are better than Parker's I think.

DH has a mont blanc, but tbh he hasn't used it in years. Lamy is first choice day to day.

SoupDragon Tue 06-Feb-18 18:38:07

Do Lamy cartridges actually fit any other pen? They seem to be completely different. Perhaps similar to a Parker one from memory.

SoupDragon Tue 06-Feb-18 18:38:59

I use a Rotring art pen in extra fine but I doubt that’s a common choice (and it doesn’t take Lamy cartridges)

YearOfYouRemember Tue 06-Feb-18 18:39:12

There is more than one Lamy pen...

SueSueDonahue Tue 06-Feb-18 18:40:53

So buy the right cartridges for whatever pen you want 🙄

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 06-Feb-18 18:42:47

We need more information, why don't they fit?

Lamy are my favorite pens, especially the al star. I have kawecco pens and waterman Pennsylvania which I love but they are heavy and easy to drop.

Lamy are great, lovely colours and they last well.

YearOfYouRemember Tue 06-Feb-18 18:44:53

The pen is from WHSmiths, the cartridges are Lamy. I assumed all fit all pens. They don't. I looked to buy a Lamy pen, saw there was more than one type, didn't want to make another mistake so thought I d ask for recommendations.

SueSueDonahue Tue 06-Feb-18 19:38:42

No, lamy cartridges don't fit anything other than lamy pens. Not sure why anyone would think they would.

Depends if you like the actual pen you have? It's cheaper to buy cartridges that go with it if you do.

Otherwise, give it away and try a lamy?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 06-Feb-18 19:48:24

If you want a new pen, buy a Lamy safari or Lamy al star, both lovely pens.

Otherwise, look into what cartridges do fit your pen. That information should be on the packaging or the website.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 06-Feb-18 19:59:17

I have 3 Lamy safaris...well 2, because I lost one but I still feel sad about it.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 07-Feb-18 11:33:18

I've had three fountain pens and they have all fit any cartridges I have bought so that's why I didn't think about the new cartridges not fitting. No need to be sneery.

Doyouthinkthesaurus - thank you, that's what I wanted, an actual recommendation.

SoupDragon Wed 07-Feb-18 11:35:10

Which do you prefer though - the cartridges or the pen?

SoupDragon Wed 07-Feb-18 11:36:32

E.g. personally, I think the Lamy pens mentioned are ugly so I would buy new cartridges not a pen.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 07-Feb-18 11:50:00

I'm not entirely happy with the pen I have. I'd like one with a smoother nib. This one feels like a bit scratchy. I bought the cartridges as I liked the unusual colour.

SoupDragon Wed 07-Feb-18 11:56:05

I think Lamy cartridges only come in blue and black so, unless they do a converter which lets you use bottled ink, you won’t get any unusual colours.

SoupDragon Wed 07-Feb-18 11:57:18

Would the scratchiness improve with use?

YearOfYouRemember Wed 07-Feb-18 12:31:15

Lamy cartridges do come in several colours, SoupDragon, if you wanted some. I have a green.

I'm wondering if it is more the quality of the paper that is making it seem scratchy as it is a cheap notebook so I'll try it on nicer paper n

RiverSparkleFairy Wed 07-Feb-18 12:43:24

I have two Safaris and use red ink with one for marking (I'm a teacher). The nibs come in two thicknesses and I have the thinner one on the red pen - it can be a bit scratchy but seems to get smoother as it warms up, if that's even possible!
Really like my Lamys.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 07-Feb-18 14:45:59

I have purple cartridges in my lilac safari.

PetraDelphiki Wed 07-Feb-18 14:50:51

Try www.plooms.co.uk - lovely pens to use!

SoupDragon Wed 07-Feb-18 14:52:33

Ah. I’ve only ever seen the standard colours in Lamy but I’ve never really looked as it’s only the kids that have had them and they have to use blue or black.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 07-Feb-18 15:17:45

The plooms link comes up as unsafe

Ulysses Wed 07-Feb-18 15:25:01

I’ve got a Lamy safari but I’m not too keen on it either. I find it scratchy as well. I get on fine with the Parker and the Cross pens though.

PetraDelphiki Wed 07-Feb-18 16:22:11

Really? www.plooms.co.uk/ fine on all my devices!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: