Talk

Advanced search

Tall husband struggles to help cook

(33 Posts)
1cupoftea Sat 28-Oct-17 18:00:26

Hi all, my husband is 6 foot 5 and says he's too tall to help out in the kitchen hmm

Our counters are normal sized so he has to bend down when chopping, mixing, using the hob etc. and I can't quite deal with his complaining any more!

Anyone got any ideas how to get around this? I managed to get an old ironing board (105cm) off gumtree, though struggling in the kitchen

Thanks!!

CountFosco Sat 28-Oct-17 18:03:46

Sounds like a crap excuse. What would he do if you weren't around? Starve?

Wigeon Sat 28-Oct-17 18:05:05

He should sit down at the kitchen table to chop things hmm

Penfold007 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:05:24

My DH is 6'3" and his DB is 6'7" they both manage cooking,food prep, washing up and ironing perfectly well. Both our kitchens have normal height units, I have bought the tallest ironing board I could find. Your DH is having you on. Get a perching stool for the kitchen then he'll have no excuse.

Inkandbone Sat 28-Oct-17 18:05:35

Evolve to eat the fruit from the tallest branches, like giraffes? grin

In all seriousness I sympathise, actually, albeit from the opposite perspective (under 5 foot 2.)

But he just has to get on with it!

MrsPeel1 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:06:48

My husband is 6’3” and also struggles with chopping etc as it makes his back hurt hunching over. So Instead he chops sitting down at the kitchen table. He’s fine with stirring etc especially since I bought a spoon with a longer handle.
I can accept that it’s uncomfortable to work at the surfaces but that means he has to find a solution not avoid kitchen takes altogether!

JustHereForThePooStories Sat 28-Oct-17 18:07:43

He's the same height as my husband and is lying to you to avoid cooking.

PurpleDaisies Sat 28-Oct-17 18:10:18

My husband is exactly the same height as yours. No issues for him.

I think your husband is looking for reasons not to help.

Passthecake30 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:12:47

Jeez. I'm 6ft so when we have had a new kitchen in both houses I've made sure that the cupboards are high as they go with kickboards... I appreciate he is taller but how long does chopping/cooking actually take?

Dp is shorter than me so I also insisted on high cupboards (so I can stash more), a high shower and high shower curtain pole and sofas with a deep cushion (hate the ones that cut in mid thigh)

Make him do the "tall" jobs. Dust the light fittings, get rid of cobwebs, sort top of kitchen cupboards, clear stuff off wardrobes...wink

BertrandRussell Sat 28-Oct-17 18:13:26

Doesn't 't stop my dp. And he's got a slipped disc.

Tell him to sit down if necessary.

isthistoonosy Sat 28-Oct-17 18:14:08

Make / buy a block (step) to put the chopping board etc on to when he is using them or he can sit at the table.

ProfessorCat Sat 28-Oct-17 18:15:30

Wow.

Clutterbugsmum Sat 28-Oct-17 18:18:01

Stop cooking for him, I'm sure he will figure it out all be himself.

insancerre Sat 28-Oct-17 18:18:58

Chop his legs off

Orangebird69 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:21:14

Oh, fuck off. My dbro is 6'5 and loves to cook. He rarely lets anyone else help. Your dh is a lazy bastard.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 28-Oct-17 18:21:27

Gordon Ramsey is 6’ 2”

Maybe that’s why he’s so grumpy.

Battleax Sat 28-Oct-17 18:22:23

When I started having back problems, I attributed the symptoms to all sorts of things. (It's a bit like when people insist that print is getting smaller instead of admitting they need reading glasses.) It turned out that I had a serious issue and had to have spinal surgery.

Could it be something along those lines? Back problems? How long has he been complaining for?

CMOTDibbler Sat 28-Oct-17 18:22:40

My dh is 6'3 and my one of my nephews is 6'8 and they manage perfectly well. Yours is just finding an excuse to get out doing something he doesn't want to do

BabyOrSanta Sat 28-Oct-17 18:25:45

I'm taller than average and must say I do get back ache when cooking (especially while pregnant!). I've taken to resting my bum against a bar stool and making sure I keep as good posture as I can. When I slouch over to do the washing up it hurts more.
So maybe he should look at how he's standing and do it more so he can practice thlwink

1cupoftea Sat 28-Oct-17 18:27:14

I think it's more that it isn't comfortable, he does and can help, though don't want him to be pained. Sitting down might be best though

NerrSnerr Sat 28-Oct-17 18:28:06

How did he cook before he met you? What does he do on days he has to cook for himself?

Battleax Sat 28-Oct-17 18:28:43

But it should be comfortable, shouldn't it? I've never heard a tall man complain about standard kitchen counters. Weird.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sat 28-Oct-17 18:31:57

My sons are all tall, one the same height as your husband, they manage to cook. But if it is really bothering him, he can either sit down, or do what my 6'1" aunt did and get the worktops raised.

acornsandnuts Sat 28-Oct-17 18:35:47

Okaaay that’s a good one.

I’m 5ft and the counter tops are too high, I get shoulder pain from lifting them to chop but I cope.

However, being a bit more helpful, I noticed a TV chef using a really deep butchers block, maybe 6 inches ehich would raise the surface to a more comfortable level for him.

Shame we can’t make such adjustments for us shorties.

Fromage Sat 28-Oct-17 18:46:44

Has he heard of bending?

Have a section of the kitchen counter raised a foot or dig a trough in the kitchen floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now