Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there such thing as a sanitary towel you can wear swimming?

(11 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:17:40

A bit of a odd question. My dd is 11 and has Autism, she recently started her periods, she is unable to use tampons due to many reasons. She loves being in water, surfing, swimming and lives in a wet suit during the weekends, we have a holiday coming up and a kayaking session and I'm worried she will get her period and be unable to take part. I know you can get swim nappies for children but do they do swim pads?

TinyTear Mon 03-Jul-17 14:22:02

I'm afraid not

Swim nappies are NOT absorbent, that is the point of them, all the wee goes into the pool/water... Swim nappies are just there to prevent poo from going everywhere....

allegretto Mon 03-Jul-17 14:22:24

There are a few threads on this:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/teenagers/2762312-Advice-How-can-you-swim-when-you-have-your-period
But the short answer is no.

StarCrossdSkys Mon 03-Jul-17 14:23:08

Someone will be along in 2 minutes to tell you that your period stops in water...

Jinglebells99 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:29:25

if you know when her period is due and it falls on your holiday , you could talk to your gp about delaying her period by using noristorene. She'd just need to take theee small tablets a day from a couple of days before her period is due until your get back. My gp was happy to prescribe for my dad when she was 13 and going on a school trip.

Jinglebells99 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:30:17

Not my dad obviously! My dd.

Lovemusic33 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:32:02

jingle her periods are not regular yet so GP won't give her anything.

badg3r Mon 03-Jul-17 14:34:25

There are a few products out there now (PantyProp is one I think) that are basically bikini bottoms with in-built re-usable sanitary towels. I've never used them so no idea what they are actually like. Given her age too I"m not sure if the smallest size would still be too big but maybe worth a google?

Jinglebells99 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:45:20

Ah, well that's a shame if your gp won't prescribe it for her. I googled the pantyprop swim pants. You have to wear them with tampax or sanitary towels. Can't see how they wouldn't get really soggy :/

ASDismynormality Mon 03-Jul-17 14:49:03

Will she be wearing a wetsuit? Are her periods quite light? If so I would get reusable pads and wear them in a swimming costume/ bikini bottoms for the kayaking session with a wetsuit over the top.

Lovemusic33 Mon 03-Jul-17 16:05:36

She will be in a wet suit, she has a bikini with shorts so would probably be ok with those and a pad on? She won't be spending much time in the water as she will be in a kayak (unless she falls out). She will be in the sea so not as worrying as leaking in a swimming pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now