Talk

Advanced search

Need foundation/concealer recommendations

(7 Posts)
Pollyanna9 Wed 10-May-17 22:28:24

Hi all

I'm getting fed up with my foundation at the moment. Even after just a few hours it's 'moved' and not just on the nose (where I get REALLY) greasy, but all over. Any my concealer cakes and moves as well so really it's not a good combination.

I'm 50 so have some wrinkles and need to cover very dark under eyes with a good concealer. I want a buildable foundation that doesn't move and cake but also is not super thick - so I can build it up where I need extra cover but not where I don't.

I'm normally a Rimmel girl but on this occasion I might be tempted to go for something of a bit better quality eg NARS, MAC - anything that will work essentially - not mega stupid expensive.

Currently I use Max Factor Ageless Elixir Foundation & Serum and Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. They have no staying power at all and sit 'on' the skin, they don't seem to connect with it (if that makes any sense). I would look at primers/fixing sprays but I've tried these before and I do have a very very greasy nose and I've not found anything yet that helps... that said it was a couple of years ago when I last tried one, there might be much better formulations on the market now.

What thoughts/recommendations do you have? Probably especially if you're an old fart with an oily nose like me!!!! (But all posts will be very happily received smile).

Happycow Wed 10-May-17 22:33:24

I have a different skin type from you (normal nose, dry cheeks) and have spent a fortune on foundations that end up caking or not giving any coverage. My current combination which I love is boots no7 bb cream as a base, MAC water weight foundation on top. Foundation is buildable which I love; most days I use the bb cream on its own but it provides a nice smooth texture to my skin which is great under foundation.

Pollyanna9 Thu 11-May-17 14:35:37

Thanks Happy, I'll give those a look for sure.

anxietyrus Thu 11-May-17 14:43:32

Use primer before and translucent powder after any and all concealer and foundation. I have awfully oily skin but I've finally doing a way of looking matte

Pollyanna9 Sat 13-May-17 00:13:01

Funnily enough anxietyrus (that really should be my username by the way!!), I've just ordered a variety of things to try out - currently I'll continue with my existing foundation and the new helper products and then I can see if it doesn't improve then it's not the foundation (if that makes sense).

I'm going to be trying:
Makeup Revolution Luxury Banana Powder
Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray
Barry M Illuminating Highlighter Palette
Freedom HD Pro Finish Banana powder
Collection Sheer Loose Powder

See how I get on with that lot!

Autumnchill Sat 13-May-17 00:19:40

Just discovered Clarins foundation after a beauty night at House of Fraser and would highly recommend it.

Apparently you can have a mini facial FOC every 12 weeks! Book yourself in and get some advice on their foundation and treat yourself (plus get some samples!)

Pollyanna9 Thu 18-May-17 19:30:44

Oooh nice one Autumn!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now