Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Double pushchair or not?

(8 Posts)
emilyjayne5 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:12:22

I'm pregnant with my second and my first will be 18 months old when he's born!
I'm debating if I need a double pram! My first can walk but is still not the best and I've never taken her anywhere without her pushchair!
Has anyone been in the same situation?
I don't want to buy one and then never use it because they aren't cheap! grin

Heatherbell1978 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:22:02

Sounds like you'll need one. DD is 5 weeks and we've just bought one for her and 2.5year old DS. Unlike you DS rarely uses buggy these days but I need sonething to take the 2 of them out alone when DH is not around as DS is a bit of a live wire! I bought new but know I'll get back at least 50% when I sell it as they're hard to find second hand in good condition

ThermoScan Thu 06-Apr-17 11:24:12

I think a double would be really useful.I had same age gap and really liked having a side by side fold up double (Little Nipper 360 I think)

KP86 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:28:25

You could potentially look for one which has a removable second seat so when DC1 no longer needs it you can still use as a single. Downside is they tend to be big, and heavy.

ToastyFingers Thu 06-Apr-17 11:29:19

Yep, I would, even if your 18 month old is good walker they'll still get tired easily and will lack the ability to walk nicely near you and not run off. I walk with my 3 year old whilst pushing my 1 year old and it's bloody difficult sometimes.

HeyCat Thu 06-Apr-17 11:30:50

You'll need one.

all the children I know regularly use buggies until they're 3, even once they can walk reliably they're slow and they get tired. Also once the terrible twos hit they'll try and run off from you onto roads etc, sometimes you need to be able to strap them into a buggy safely.

Only alternative would be to keep your eldest in the buggy and wear baby in a sling?

You can pick up good double buggies pretty cheaply second hand, plus then you can sell them on, so long term they're not really expensive.

mudddypudddles Thu 06-Apr-17 11:32:03

My friend didn't get a double buggy when her first child was just turned 2 and she had a newborn and it just made life hard for her.

2 year old ended up being made to walk around (very slowly) which made them late all the time, or stand on a buggy board. She still liked naps but obviously couldn't fall asleep when out and about anymore.

If she was tired, cold, poorly, it was just shit having to stand on the buggy board, especially as friend doesn't drive. Limited her doing stuff really.

I would personally want a double buggy till the age of 3 for the oldest child, as they do tend to walk slowly or mither to be carried, and I just wouldn't put myself through the arse ache of it! They can always have the option to walk, and hop in the buggy for a nap or a rest.
grin

FreshsatsumaforDd Thu 06-Apr-17 11:38:40

Yes, you will need one. I had the exact same age gap and thought that I would be able to manage pre birth with single buggy and a sling. I was wrong then needed to find a double buggy very quickly. I bought a very simple and lightweight side by side umbrella folding type buggy. I could lie the baby back and bought him a warm buggy bag. Toddler could sit up. Forward facing. They were both very content and I could leave the house again! Later my DSil used it with a 2 year gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now