Talk

Advanced search

Help! Little kid + massive feet = nightmare shoe shopping

(17 Posts)
Sparklycurtainpole Sun 26-Mar-17 21:31:42

Can anyone help me find a decent pair of shoes for DD?
She's only just turned six but is already a size 13 which I know isn't massively massive in the grand scheme of things but it has tipped her over from the little kids' shoe ranges into the older kids' ranges.
She is extremely sporty, very tall and mostly lives in trainers but she and I would both really like some shoes she can run around in but which won't fly off her feet. Most shoes I can find for size 13+ are either slip ons or have loads of excessive straps or heels.
I'd like something for the spring which she can wear with a skirt/leggings/trousers etc which aren't converse, trainers or boots and also aren't strapless ballet pump style ones. I've tried clarks, start rite, kickers, John Lewis and can't find anything suitable. Needs to be leather and fairly scuff resistant (think clarks younger kids shoes where the rubbery bit goes up over the toes a bit). Surely at 6 kids can't be expected to ditch being active and just wear miniature grown up shoes? Also she's got quite wide feet too just to compound trying to buy high street 😫
Any recommendations. For the right pair, budget isn't too much of a problem. Just want some decent nice shoes for her which aren't blinkin trainers!

MrsPnut Sun 26-Mar-17 21:38:52

My Dd has massive feet and always has had, she wore boys hush puppies from reception onwards until this year (year 6) when she has a pair of brogues.
She used to wear something like this www.littlewanderers.co.uk/hush-puppies/hush-puppies-jezza-black-leather-school-shoes.html because they were great for playing football in.

choccybiscuit Sun 26-Mar-17 21:48:59

That's not very big. My dd2 is 6 and a size 2! We shop in clarks as she has wider feet also.

NapQueen Sun 26-Mar-17 21:49:44

A pair of Toms?

drspouse Sun 26-Mar-17 21:50:49

Have you tried the Kickers European range? There are many more styles than usually available here. Try Amazon.fr. I got my DC some lovely closed toe sandals when I was on a work trip.
My DS is 5 and in size 10.5 and wide feet too - and he wears orthotics. We usually go to an independent shop, even though it's miles...

We have a nice pair for him by Noel (also French). Sturdy but not school or trainer style.

DD has some nice Geox shoes but they may run a bit more narrow.

NapQueen Sun 26-Mar-17 21:51:43

toms full shoe

toms sandals

NapQueen Sun 26-Mar-17 21:52:38

Sorry not leather just realised you specified that. Any reason for the preference?

IrnBruTortie Sun 26-Mar-17 21:53:17

My 6 year old is a 13, and prefers boys shoes (she took one look at the girls offering in Clarks before she started school, gave the assistant her best withering look, and asked how she was expected to play football in those). She's just learnt to tie laces which helps with the choice - is that an option?

NapQueen Sun 26-Mar-17 21:54:17

leather tbar shoes

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 26-Mar-17 21:54:35

My DS6 is on the 2nd percentile for size and has size 13 feet very nearly size 1. I really dont think it is unusual. I dont really see what problem you are having DS is also very active as most 6 year olds are he has Kickers for school shoes, supermarket trainers for messing around in and Adidas football boots and astro turf trainers for his organised sports.

WindwardCircle Sun 26-Mar-17 21:54:35

Vertbaudrt do solid but nice looking shoes, they have a sale on at the moment too.

www.vertbaudet.co.uk/shoes/girls-footwear.htm#7Lh6v3FgidZZJyGz.97

drspouse Sun 26-Mar-17 21:55:05

If you want closed toe sandals - try Kickers Sundals.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:56:32

I don't really know what you are on about? DS is 6.5 and his feet are 2.5-3.

13 is not an adult size- there are zillions of kids shoes to choose from in a 13. Just go to decent shoe shop with a wide range of children's shoes and choose something.

drspouse Sun 26-Mar-17 22:00:35

Girls shoes are generally less practical and harder to find sensible things than boys shoes though.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 26-Mar-17 22:03:50

Why does she have to wear 'girls' shoes though?

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 26-Mar-17 22:08:05

These are like trainers x sandals.

I'm not sure why you're bothered about her living in trainers- sounds like she's happy in them.

Sparklycurtainpole Sun 26-Mar-17 22:40:56

Thanks for the recommendations so far. The little wanderers site was a great find. The 'froddo' brand on there seems to be exactly what we're after.
In answer to some other queries, DD is extremely active and does usually wear trainers but also wanted some other 'prettier' but sensible everyday shoes. For example, we went to an outdoor birthday party yesterday where there were games etc. Her younger sister had some sensible but 'pretty' clarks little kids shoes but DD had to wear her trainers as we'd got nothing else suitable. She loves dressing up for parties/special occasions and so was a bit fed up that she was in trainers again. I'm also not saying she's some kind of giantess with clown feet, just that she's on the longer and wider end of average which means she's in the older girls' ranges which aren't always suitable.
Both my girls are sporty outdoorsy kids and usually leggings and trainers type girls but they also like to wear things other than sports' gear. Plus, trainers aren't as easy to clean; seem to look scruffy earlier and don't seem to last my two as long as a leather shoe. I also wanted leather as DD seems to get really sticky sweaty feet in synthetic materials.
Thanks again for the recommendations. They're really useful. 👍🏻

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now