Talk

Advanced search

Pls help me choose a washing machine

(24 Posts)
happybee1 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:22:35

I am looking at replacing my Miele that puts holes in my clothes! I am looking at the LG fh4a8tdn2 or the Aeg l76495fl2. I have also looked at Bosch or John Lewis brands, does anyone have any advice pls. Thank you in advance x

NineteenForever Fri 20-Jan-17 18:33:26

I bought a new one recently, a Samsung wf90 ecobubble one. They take forever now due to the imposed economy settings and what's good is it will take 9kg of washing but will adjust the time down if you wash less, or lower the temperature or reduce the spin. It has loads of programmes, and is very quiet, plus it's huge inside. It was £400 and even has a drum clean programme. Think I got a two year warranty from currys. Miele seemed to be very small and with fewer features, I thought, but you may feel confident in them. Bosch made a large capacity, 8kg but the door was tiny.

What I found useful was to read instruction manuals online, as that gives you an idea of operating it, better than reading the blurb as it were.

happybee1 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:42:37

Yes, thank you. I looked at the Samsung but they seemed very insistent on cleaning the filters at the back of the machine regularly and I can't pull my machine out once it's in!
My Miele has been a complete nightmare and the customer service is absolutely awful, it's taken me 2 years to get them to change it and only after John Lewis got involved. Would never recommend a Miele!

Kennington Fri 20-Jan-17 18:43:56

Get one with a fast 15 and 30 min wash.
I stick in lightly soiled uniform and it has been life changing.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 20-Jan-17 18:46:29

i go to AO anytime I need any white goods...and enter in the must haves like load/spin speed and then search

highly recommned them for delivery and removal of old stuff.

I am vexed that my new freezer is having to come from currys....AO seem not to do any suitable ones for outhouses in my price range.

PickAChew Fri 20-Jan-17 18:47:25

If you're tempted by aeg, John Lewis ones are the same, rebadged, with longer warranties!

MayhemandMadness01 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:57:42

I've just got an LG 9kg Direct drive. 10yr warrenty on the motor. It weighs what you put in and adjusts the wash time accordingly. On average its 1hr 25mins gor a mix 40 degree wash.
Really good spin on it so tumble dryer isn't on as long. Very quiet as well and it plays a little tune when you turn it on which amuses me no end grin

Madbengalmum Fri 20-Jan-17 19:00:04

I always go to bosch logic/logixx level washers. And they have been brilliant. I have a pathological hatered for miele though due to their shocking service levels and rubbish product.

123bananas Fri 20-Jan-17 19:03:35

I have an LG washing machine, the customer service when we did have a fault was appalling. Samsungs customer service is apparently better.

happybee1 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:27:16

Thank you all for all your advice, it is much appreciated.
Madbengalmum, Miele customer service was awful and as my clothes were being eaten by the machine they were blaming my washing powder!
Mayhem and 123, which LG machine do you have?

PuntCuffin Fri 20-Jan-17 21:33:12

We recently bought a Samsung Addwash one on DH insistence. I thought the little door was a bit gimmicky to start with. But I have had to concede he was right. I am forever chucking odd socks in mid wash.

PickAChew Fri 20-Jan-17 21:37:22

Bosch/Siemens (Neff also the same, if you see a good deal on one over another) customer services are excellent, btw, and their repair techs come out within a few days, rather than a few weeks, which we had with AEG.

AverysillyoldHector Fri 20-Jan-17 21:45:02

We've got a Bosch, this one. It's brilliant, really quiet, you can choose whether to wash quickly or economically, its got a 15 minute wash too. Love it.

Elisheva Fri 20-Jan-17 21:51:14

We've got the same one as Avery and its marvellous.

QuitMoaning Fri 20-Jan-17 21:54:25

123bananas in our experience Samsung customer service were utter rubbish and we would not buy another Samsung product because of it.
Shame as washing machine is superb.

It fused the house on Sunday night in mid December.
Called them Monday morning.
They Asked for serial number.
This is inside the door which I couldn't open due to fusing the power (it was mid cycle). They said they couldn't help me without this.
Wtf?
Machine was 10 months old. I emailed them the invoice but they said they couldn't read the email and I needed to take a screen shot. Seriously! They are a technological giant but couldn't read a forwarded email.

Spent the next week phoning them at least twice a day and sending them emails, screen shots etc, sometimes in tears. They just kept saying they couldn't get the information about the seller (ao.com) to verify the purchase.
It took until Saturday night when I was in tears and they admitted they did have all the Info on the original email I sent Monday morning.
They then said that I should pay for an electrical engineer to test machine which I refused.
Eventually they agreed to send an engineer on the understanding that if I had misused it, I would pay cost of engineer.
Engineer came out on Wednesday and immediately found the heating element had crusted up with hard water. He confirmed I had done nothing wrong.
10 days of utter stress. And my son came home in the first week of this saga from uni with loads of washing!
The machine itself is fabulous but customer service was a nightmare.

happybee1 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:52:24

Thanks for the recommendations for the Bosch machine, I had discounted them as a few negative reviews saying Bosch now not so good as making cheaper machines but I will definitely look again.
Thank you to everyone, it's so good to hear all the feedback on customer service as well.

happybee1 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:56:25

Quit, that's terrible. I've had 2 years of that sort of nonsense from Miele. First time they sent out an engineer they told me if he couldn't find a fault they would charge me over £100 call out charge!!

happybee1 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:59:19

Shame John Lewis don't seem to sell that Bosch machine.

llangennith Fri 20-Jan-17 23:02:01

Your w/may just need a new drum?

chatnanny Sat 21-Jan-17 08:33:07

Please don't be cross, just throwing it out there. Are you sure it's the machine? We had little holes appearing in our clothes and I blamed the machine. Strangely they all seemed to be about waist height. The penny finally dropped that it was moth. The little bugger(s) were working their way through the wardrobe going from item to item. Since I stuffed wardrobe with lavender and some noxious sachets we have no new holes.

ThoraGruntwhistle Sat 21-Jan-17 08:35:44

Anything but Hoover. Useless bastard
<kicks washer>

P1nkP0ppy Sat 21-Jan-17 08:49:25

I buy the cheapest machine with the fewest programmes as I suspect very few people use more than three or four programmes regularly. I've only had 3 machines in 40 years, never called out an engineer and am perfectly happy not having the latest gizmos!

keekaw Sat 21-Jan-17 10:07:19

I buy everything Bosch but my washing machine repair guy told me it was better to get a reconditioned old Bosch than a brand new one because of changes to the manufacturing. Thankfully he managed to fix my old one.

Also I have just bought a Bosch fan oven and my first batch of cakes is very unevenly cooked. So I think my Bosch days are over.

happybee1 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:52:51

Chatnanny, I would not be cross at all. These holes are not moth holes, they are not in any particular clothing or in any particular place. All avenues have been explored by Miele, including belts( which we don't wear) and it also happens to bedding, washing powder and the fact that there are small holes in your clothes and the washing machine agitates them to make them visible!! I don't use a dryer and it has been going on for 2 years. The other day it damaged a cardigan quite badly. I have fought long and hard to get a replacement as I reported the fault a couple of months after having the machine. Miele said there was nothing they could do but John Lewis have said I can have a replacement.
Keekaw- that is what I have heard about Bosch products used to be excellent but new ones not so good.
Thank you all again for all your kind help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now