Talk

Advanced search

baby walkers.... are they safe?

(10 Posts)
prampusher Fri 23-Feb-07 13:28:33

I mean the push along little trays with the handle on. Should you only use them when baby is very stable on their feet? Have been given one and feeling tentative about it...

your opinions would be most welcome

dejags Fri 23-Feb-07 13:30:41

Eeek no! Is my first reaction.

They are a hazard - well at least I think they are. I have heard too many stories about babies falling down stairs when using these things.

Nip Fri 23-Feb-07 13:30:48

My DS loves his - my HV says they are good for them. I let him use it as and when he wants to - i held onto him/the walker to start with, but he'd rather be left...
HTH

Nip Fri 23-Feb-07 13:31:37

ooppss - {i never let my DC near stairs or anything dangerous - just in the lounge with nothing is his way}

Twinkie1 Fri 23-Feb-07 13:33:58

Why would anyone put one of these upsatirs - being that stupid is more harm to a child than a babywalker would ever be!!!

prampusher Fri 23-Feb-07 13:34:01

the reason i'm tentative is that DH (and I blame him not! afterall accidents do just happen) was with him and he slipped when using it) He is fine but his lip was bleeding and it freaked me out a bit... DH says we just have to be careful but I'm wondering if we should wait actually... perhaps it's too early

prampusher Fri 23-Feb-07 13:35:54

and nope there's no way we'd have it up the stairs... my munchkin is far too keen already on divebombing whenever given an opportunity (we see him in years to come at concerts throwing himself into crowds! )

Nip Fri 23-Feb-07 13:36:46

I used to hold the walker so he couldnt push it too fast (and then fall) - and they quickly get the hang of it.
Why not just leave it with the other toys and your DC can explore it before actually using it.
(My DS was 9mo's when he started using his)

prampusher Fri 23-Feb-07 13:39:16

Nip I think you've got the right idea... slowly, carefully, and easy goes... though this isn't my DS's style I'm sure very soon he'll be zooming up and down crazily with a little help. Ta for advice.

Nip Fri 23-Feb-07 13:40:35

Have fun - when he gets the hang of it - he'll be off! My DS has just mastered turning it round, so now he can go back and forth without my help - its SO cute!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now