Talk

Advanced search

that adhesive stuff that makes windows look like etched glass

(7 Posts)
jeangenie Thu 22-Feb-07 13:05:11

I need to obsure nasty view from a bedroom window
has anyone used this stuff? any comments - does it work? easy to apply? cheap or pricey?
what brand name and where do I get it?
thanking you

BettySpaghetti Thu 22-Feb-07 13:07:04

Never used it but wanted to mention that you can also buy a spray on version that you can use with stencils if you want a design in it.

(my extensive knowledge is down to all the DIY progs I watched whilst on Mat Leave )

itsmeNDaveP Thu 22-Feb-07 13:09:06

the spray is crap, goes all flaky and peels

seach on google for 'window film'

itsmeNDaveP Thu 22-Feb-07 13:09:51

this sort of thing ?

frogs Thu 22-Feb-07 13:14:29

Brume is the stuff you want.

We've used it for several windows --

Does it work: yes, and looks better than spray-on stuff which we've also tried. You need about 8 cans of the spray-on to get a good finish, and even then it looks blotchy. The brume is immaculate from the start and still looks fine 5 years later.

Easy to apply: A bit fiddly, but manageably so. A two-person job for sure. You have to clean the window with meths first and then wet the film with a mixture of washing-up liquid and water. Then once it's on the window you smoothe out the bubbles. They cut it to size (you have to measure your own windows, obviously), so there's no scary cutting, you just have to make sure it's straight.

Cheap or pricey: Expensive-ish, but worth it. Price depends on the size of your windows. Much more worth it than spray-on. I think our was £30ish for a tiny loo window, and correspondingly more for the bottom two panes of a large sash. The website has a table where you can work out the price.

hth

BettySpaghetti Thu 22-Feb-07 13:15:50

Have you looked into actually buying glass that is already etched ? -it can be pricey but is worth it for a permanent solution without having to worry about how a good a finish or how long-lasting it is.

We had a beautiful star design one in the bathroom in our last house.

jeangenie Thu 22-Feb-07 20:51:38

our windows are mingin' double glazing (which we hate but are not about to rip out) so proper etched glass is a no no.

Brume looks like the sort of thing alright, good to hear you found it good frogs. I did see another one purlfrost which seems a bit cheaper. Wonder if anyone has used it? (ah, I see now why it is probably cheaper, comes on a roll so you have to do scarey cutting)

thanks for the link meNDaveP - that's the stuff alright

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now