Talk

Advanced search

Car seats....

(8 Posts)
peachespaige Thu 22-Feb-07 10:48:38

Ok my ds 1 is 2.7 years old is very tall and in the right weight range for a type 3 car seat even though these are meant for children age 3 and over, can I put him in one? My ds2 is 7months and big, also within the right weight range for a type 2 seat although these are meant for 9 month plus babies, can I put him in one??

NappiesGalore Thu 22-Feb-07 11:12:21

it is the weight and height which are the most important factors. age ranges put are as a guide.

only time that doesnt quite apply is for v young babies, need to be able to hold head strongly to face forwards...,

peachespaige Thu 22-Feb-07 11:13:05

Oh good, my ds2 can sit un-aided and has good neck control.

NappiesGalore Thu 22-Feb-07 11:15:51

for ds 2, you can get typre1-2 seats which face backwards till they are neck-strong enough, then you turn it round. limits the choices you have tho and they dont fit in all cars... can he hold on a month or two in baby seat, then go straight to a good type 2 seat?
(personally, i must admit that ds's 2 and 3 each went into type 2 seats a little on the early side... they could hold heads and all that, just figure to be on the safe side you should leave it as long as pos. ) mind you, if your ds2 is actually too big for the baby seat, is prob safer to have him in type 2 seat...

NappiesGalore Thu 22-Feb-07 11:18:29

x-posts.

yes, id just move him.

personally really like the maxi-cosi priory xp - has a really secure fixing mechanism and is dead easy to recline them when they fall asleep. mine were all really comfy in them for a long time.

Bozza Thu 22-Feb-07 11:21:24

They are only really too big for the baby seat if their head goes over the top though aren't they? It doesn't matter if their legs are a bit bent. Also I found the forward/backward seat we had wasn't as roomy as the forward only one.

Would your DS1 be sensible in a seat belt only seat? My DD (2.9) would be, but a lot of children her age wouldn't. Or you could get a high back booster with a harness that can be removed later.

NappiesGalore Thu 22-Feb-07 11:53:10

agree w bozza about the forward/backward seat.. trying to do too many things and not being particularly good at any of them, i reckon.

peachespaige Fri 23-Feb-07 11:14:11

We have the maxi cosi one and ds1 uses that now, we also have a Jane one that I want to move him too. He is a real handful at home but an angel in the car??! So he should be ok. Ds2 head wont go under the silly sunshade bit on our car seat, bit like a pram top. does that make sense??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now