Talk

Advanced search

Ethical but cheap shopping?

(13 Posts)
FloatingInSpace Wed 21-Feb-07 09:51:18

Does anyone know of any supermarket or local type shops or online shopping or anything that is ethical, good organic range, minimum packaging, sound environmental policy etc, but not stupidly expensive? I've had it with supermarkets. They don't pay the (organic) farmers a fair wage, they want to make as much money out of us as possible, use a ridiculous amount of packaging (and did anyone see the Dispatches prog about Tesco a few days ago?) etc etc.

I do as much shopping as I can from Abel & Cole, but otherwise use Sainsbury's or the local Tesco Express.

Piffle Wed 21-Feb-07 09:55:07

farmers markets, local markets veg box deliveries
You think they'd be more but we simply eat less meat, but better quality.
I think we spend less since buying our fruit veg and meat from markets

FloatingInSpace Wed 21-Feb-07 09:59:46

Thanks piffle. But, I do get veg, fruit & meat from Abel & Cole. It's more that extra stuff, toileteries, pantry items, etc that i buy from the others.

Pannacotta Wed 21-Feb-07 13:48:23

A friend suggested Ecotopia (on line) to me for household bits but don't know how the prices compare. I agree re supermarkets, esp Tesco which we boycott. Good luck and if you find somewhere good keep us all posted!

FloatingInSpace Wed 21-Feb-07 18:39:22

Thanks, will have a look.

ArcticRoll Wed 21-Feb-07 20:57:58

The Co-Op-not very trendy I know but amongst other things:
Loads of Fairtrade products
Support local community projects
Biodegradeable bags
Agree with Pannacotta-Tescos is evil and should be boycotted!

Pannacotta Thu 22-Feb-07 21:35:09

Co-op is a good point, lots of ethical shopping there, inc household/baby/beauty products all BUAV approved (is no animal testing). Their fair trade chocs and wine are often pretty good too... Wish we had one near us!

FloatingInSpace Sat 24-Feb-07 18:32:47

Co-op, cool. no idea where my nearest is, will look it up now!

roseylea Sat 24-Feb-07 18:37:06

I love the Co-Op because they gave me loads of free stuff for the Fair Trade Week I am organising in my workplace!

If you Google Co-Op the Co-Op website will tell you where your nearest store is. They don't do on-line food shopping, which I think is a shame personally.

BTW sorry if this is a tangent / hijack but I missed the "Tesco is evil" programme - could anyone give me a quick rundown on what it said?

PeachyClair Sat 24-Feb-07 18:39:28

Even asda and tesco do fair trade coffee now, it really is catching on! It gets cheaper all the time too so worth looking whichever shop you are in, imo.

SueW Sat 24-Feb-07 18:42:13

Co-op is fantastic. We have a local one which is little more than a corner store but I owuld hate to lose it. Our Co-op superstore had to close, Tesco moved in and booted out the farmers' market which was there (only one Saturday per month)

Tesco have double points on organic/fairtrade products at the moment, though, if you go there anyway.

roseylea Sat 24-Feb-07 18:43:50

Hmmm...I'm not sure about the ethics of buying for eg the Nescafe Partners Blend FT coffee.

Okay, yes it's a FT product, but you're still supporting a company with a history of very questionable ethics.

Or is this unfair? Should we buy such things to encourage Nestle etc to keep producing them?

PeachyClair Sat 24-Feb-07 18:56:15

It probably depends- if tis all you can get then its better than nowt, I buy the Tesco ? asda own brand because it is FT and cheap, otherwise it'd have to be just cheap

We don't have access to a market Waitrose or Co-op though, so I'm more grateful for new introductions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now