Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Concrete Garden- where do I get some safety matting?

(11 Posts)
JoBaz Tue 20-Feb-07 22:43:16

Hi

have a 16mth old toddler who I really want to enjoy our garden in the summer- however its all slabbed- This I think will be ok in general, however in areas around the ball bit & paddling pool etc.. I would like there to be some sort of safer surface (like some rubber matting or somthing) so that if he went over the side he would cutt his head open.... Has anyone got any idea's where to look & what to look for- had a little look on google, but just found stuff like 1 meter of matting for £40!!! this is I think for really high equipment falls- I just want spmthing to buffer the concrete???

Thanks

foxtrot Tue 20-Feb-07 22:47:33

Toys R Us had it last summer, but don't have it in stock in the winter apparently. It's heavy duty rubber in a sort of honeycomb pattern, about £12 a sheet (about 1m square i think - too dark to go out and measure it)

JoBaz Tue 20-Feb-07 22:54:31

Oh fantastic!
So you think they will have it again soon for the summer??
Do you just lay it down & then pick it up at the end of the day??
Did you get yours for the same sort of thing as me?
1m square is not passive is it? if I wanted it all the way round a paddling pool for example I would prob need a few sheets????

foxtrot Tue 20-Feb-07 23:03:37

Ours covers a narrow concrete path which surrounds the grassy play area, and is left down all year round.
They had it in store with all the outdoor play stuff. When i wanted some in November, i was told they only stocked it in summer.

foxtrot Tue 20-Feb-07 23:11:53

like this but definately cheaper in toysrus

JoBaz Tue 20-Feb-07 23:16:59

excellent- thanks so much-
would you say it would still hurt them alot to fall on it ?? Is it quite soft or really hard?

foxtrot Tue 20-Feb-07 23:20:10

It is quite firm, it's supposed to absorb the impact rather than cushion the fall IYSWIM.

ipodthereforipoor Tue 20-Feb-07 23:22:19

I got the tumble mats from touys R Us - they cover a big area - but cant be left down. I've got 3 and they cover the width of the driveway and about 6m long - plenty big for paddling pool and slide- - but they do get wet and slippy so I put towels down or put socks on DS for more grip!

JoBaz Tue 20-Feb-07 23:31:48

they sound good also.. so you know if they sell them all year round & how much they are?

JoBaz Tue 20-Feb-07 23:33:04

when you say you put ocks on him- you mean n the paddling pool? so that when he gets out his wet socks grip better?

ipodthereforipoor Wed 21-Feb-07 07:35:52

yep wet socks gripped better on the plastic mats.

I think they sell them all year - they were with the slides and swings.

Cant remmeber how much but better than a trip to asualty for stitchers after falling on concrete I thought! and cheaper than digging it up tio turf!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now