Talk

Advanced search

Pampers or Huggies - and why?

(62 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Tue 20-Feb-07 18:52:59

I'm a market researcher and have recently been briefed on a nappy project. I've been trying to appear knowledgeable to my client - after all I have had two children - but the nappy market has changed so much since I had mine I have no idea what you would buy or why!

My boys are almost 15 and 12, so you can see how long ago it was! We were the decade that had gender specific nappies, and the market was dominated (I think) by Pampers. Huggies was really only doing pull ups then.

So what do/did you use and why? It will really help me get up to speed, so thank you very much if you can help!

Chloe55 Tue 20-Feb-07 18:54:33

I use Supermarket own brands, Tescos particularly - they are just as good and much cheaper. I used Pampers when ds was first born because I knew nothing about nappies and saw adverts for them all the time.

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:55:07

Reuseables because they are 'greener' and Sainsburys/Lidls disposables because they are cheap and work just as well, if not better than huggies/pampers etc.

Crocodilekate Tue 20-Feb-07 18:56:15

Asda, cheaper and just as good.

nappyaddict Tue 20-Feb-07 18:57:10

reusables here but when we do use disposables its aldi's - only ones that power wee-er ds doesn't soak through in an hour!

pinkchampagne Tue 20-Feb-07 18:59:14

Pampers Active Fit were my favourite nappy. They were nice & soft, very stretchy, and a good quality nappy.
I found Pampers Baby Dry too plasticy & they didn't seem to fit very well.
Hated Huggies - they leaked a lot & the big tapes would dig into DS's stomach & leave red marks, especially the overnight nappy, as it got very wet & heavy.

Olihan Tue 20-Feb-07 19:01:42

Neither!! I'd go for Tesco's own everytime. I don't like the smell of Pampers when they're wet (too chemically) and they sag really badly when they're full. The tapes on Huggies are too wide and dig in at the top of their thighs. Huggies convertibles are the worst pull up ever, too loose as pull ups but are just normal nappies if you try to tighten them. Tescos' fit better, don't sag, don't smell and are half the price.

Not sure if that's what you want to know or not!!

tassis Tue 20-Feb-07 19:05:35

i use whichever I have money off vouchers for

otherwise I buy Tescos own

must try the nature babies ones again or moltex - tried these 3 years ago on ds and the wee just came straight through...

BibiThree Tue 20-Feb-07 19:05:41

DD got nappy rash using anything other than Pampers, and we tried the lot from every supermarket own brand to Huggies to those organic Boots nappies.

TheBlonde Tue 20-Feb-07 19:07:31

I tend to use Pampers more but still buy Huggies as I get promo coupons from Boots/Sains
However the local Sains has stopped stocking Huggies

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 20-Feb-07 19:16:47

This is one of the reasons I love mumsnet - so many replies so quickly!

Thanks all.

One other thing I forgot to ask, but you've reminded me - did you buy differently first time around compared with second/other babies?

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 19:18:57

gawd yes, the chemical stink of 'brand name' nappies as soon as a drop of wee hits them <<pulls face>>, plus have only ever seen those little crystals when I've used brand name nappies...

colditz Tue 20-Feb-07 19:21:49

Supermarket's own. Morrison's for preferance.

colditz Tue 20-Feb-07 19:23:45

I always bought Pampers for ds1. I had the (mistaken) idea that they were better. With ds2, I have less money and more sense. Plus am still buying (Morrison's!) pull ups for ds1.

colditz Tue 20-Feb-07 19:24:24

God, yes, pamper's reek. I'm sure they didn't used tyo.

bristols Tue 20-Feb-07 19:24:24

We use reusables but Nature Baby Care if we need a disposable in the day. At night is another matter and we use pampers.

edam Tue 20-Feb-07 19:36:15

I think it just depends on the baby - different nappies seem to fit different children. I used Pampers at first because I fell for the big brand name. Have spent a bit of time with the Pampers team at Proctor and Gamble and they seem very successful at making their product appeal to middle-class mums in particular.

Pampers have a research lab in Germany where they test nappies - do all sorts of funny stuff like putting a nappy on a kid then 'loading' the nappy with water to find out how long it is before it leaks. They market themselves as 'seeing the world through a baby's eyes' i.e. understanding things from the baby's POV. Hence their big exhibition 18 months ago-ish where they had rooms showing baby's experierence at every age - oversized furniture and wobby floors in the toddler room, not being able to reach a bar of soap on the sink for potty-training children (promoting Kandoo soap).

Olihan Tue 20-Feb-07 19:48:52

Oh yes, Jessa, I'd forgotten that! Little cystals all over ds's bum in the morning and the gusset hanging round his knees - not good. I used both brands when ds1 was small (mainly because had £off vouchers), switched to Tescos' with dd. Having said that, Pampers pull ups are by far the best.

Cloudhopper Tue 20-Feb-07 19:52:26

I found pampers the best. Huggies used to leak poo everywhere when they were tiny, and I found the supermarket own brands left a sort of strange film with bits of something on their bums. That freaked me out, so I have stuck to pampers ever since.

dueat44 Tue 20-Feb-07 19:56:56

I'm with pinkchampagne. will try tesco's this time round though.

FirstAtForty Tue 20-Feb-07 22:29:09

Do Pampers stink?? I've never noticed a stink OR loose crystals, must look at the next nappy change!

Have mainly used Pampers - Baby Dry and now Active Fit.

Tried Huggies but they weren't the right shape for my (skinny) 7 month old DD.

Also tried Morrisons, they were okay but bulkier than Pampers.

Will try Tescos own at some point as have heard good things about them, but Pampers were recently on offer so just as cheap as Tescos ones so stocked up.

edam Tue 20-Feb-07 22:30:06

Loose crystals = nappy needed changing sooner.

donnie Tue 20-Feb-07 22:32:34

pampaers are loads better than huggies. Better fit, more absorbent and also huggies come undone too easily. They are CRAP!!

percypig Tue 20-Feb-07 22:37:51

Huggies all the way - less plasticky than Pampers and other brands in my experience. Ds is v skinny but we've only ever had a few leakage or fitting problems, when he was sort of in between sizes. I've only seen crystals twice with Huggies, but more often in Pampers (which my mum and childminder have).

JackieNo Tue 20-Feb-07 22:42:24

We used Tesco's own all the way and have been very happy with them. When I did try my free samples of Pampers, when DD did a wee in them, it smelled of acetone, like nail varnish remover, which was really offputting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now