Talk

Advanced search

Which DSLR camera?

(15 Posts)
Thatwaslulu Sat 19-Nov-16 22:47:06

My 16yo DS is doing photography A Level and has hopes to become a professional photographer. For Christmas he has asked for a DSLR camera that he can use for his studies and as a hobby. He ideally wants a Canon but doesn't know which model would be best.

I have tried asking his photography teacher but haven't been able to get through to him by email or phone (have left messages but he doesn't reply).

What would you recommend? I don't even know where to start. I want to get him a good one that he will be able to either keep for a good while or upgrade for a more advanced model in due course, so one that would hold its value would be good.

Budget is about £300 but for a super one I may be convinced to pay a bit more (it's a joint gift from us, his grandparents and great grandmother).

Thatwaslulu Sun 20-Nov-16 15:38:15

Anyone?

I've got the Nikon EOS 1200D and I love it.

It come with a really good lens and when I got mine there was another free one with it.

It was about this time last year actually so the offer may be on again.

Jessops are good for throwing in a memory card or something else if you sweet talk them.

That's a complete lie. It's a Canon, not a Nikon!

Thatwaslulu Sun 20-Nov-16 15:47:46

Thank you!

AsthmaAndAutism Sun 20-Nov-16 15:47:53

As a general rule for canon, the lower the model number, the better it is. So a 750D is a good beginners camera, a 75/70D is a mid-range and a 7D/5D is industry standard.
£300 isn't a lot to budget tbh, this bundle includes a telephoto lens, meaning it's the equivalent to about 20x optical zoom on a digital camera, which would be incredibly useful.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/dslr-and-compact-system-cameras/canon-eos-700d-dslr-camera-telephoto-zoom-lenses-bundle-10136241-pdt.html

Thatwaslulu Sun 20-Nov-16 15:58:23

Thanks. I know absolutely nothing about them, so that is really useful guide.

Hulababy Sun 20-Nov-16 16:10:25

I have a Canon 7D but started with a 450 kit one with the kit lens. I still use the original camera at school and it still takes great photographs.

I do like Canon SLRs

Hulababy Sun 20-Nov-16 16:12:26

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/buying-guide-best-slrs-for-beginners-1251700

Some recommended entry level slr cameras here

Meadows76 Sun 20-Nov-16 16:14:24

Go with entry level, it's more than adequate. Canon eos 1200/1300 or Nikon d3200/3300. There is no need to spend anymore than that for an a level.

Thatwaslulu Sun 20-Nov-16 20:30:19

Thanks all!

littlebillie Sun 20-Nov-16 20:39:17

I bought a canon 40d around 2 years ago it is an outstanding DSLR and they are around £250 with lens on eBay the reviews are amazing and a fantastic camera your son will thank you

ranganathrng Sun 02-Jul-17 19:17:50

If you are beginner, try to hire some of the basic level dslrs before buying them.

Check some of the Entry Level DSLR and then decide which one to go with.

ranganathrng Sun 02-Jul-17 19:22:44

Canon 1300D model is comparatively better than any other Nikon models. Nikon cameras do not have inbuilt auto focus motor hence they do not support many of the entry level Lenses.

Video clarity of Canon 1300D is very good. You can read and learn more about photography at photopedia.in

Hope this helps!

Lovemusic33 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:20:43

I have just bought the 750d but was a bit more than £300, the 1300d is a bit less but I didn't like the feel of it, felt light and cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now