Alternatives to the Ergobaby original carrier

(13 Posts)
Tinks177 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:27:46

We're expecting our first baby next month. I have been considering purchasing the Ergo carrier, but now I am questioning whether we we definitely use one, and thinking it's a lot of money to waste if we don't.

Are there any cheaper alternatives around that are just as good/safe?

Thanks

YokoUhOh Fri 18-Nov-16 09:31:24

I used my Ergo from birth with DS2. In fact, he's in it now, asleep (just got back from school run).

We got the newborn insert, too, but he seemed too big for it (maybe I was using it wrong).

I barely ever use a buggy, the Ergo is much easier and more comfy. I also used a Manduca with DS1, and a few stretchy wraps in the early days with both.

Do you have a sling library near you?

sarahnova69 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:32:34

You need a sling library! There are tons of alternatives, all slightly different, and a sling library lets you try before you buy and rent to test. An ergo isn't the best thing for a newborn anyway, you're better with a soft stretchy wrap or something similar like a Caboo until around four months.

YokoUhOh Fri 18-Nov-16 09:35:10

^Yes, a Moby Wrap or close caboo for a couple of months - thinking back, I used those more to start with. But the Ergo has been a fixture since about 2 months.

andpropersteel Fri 18-Nov-16 09:46:55

We have an ergobaby, mei tai and a cheap stretchy wrap.

Have so far (DS is 3 months) used the ergo once and the cheap stretchy wrap every single day. It's amazing!

I have the palm&pond stretchy wrap (£16.99) (don't buy their mei tai though, it's utter utter shite). I think the ergo will be great when he's more substantial in size, but I just love the simplicity of the wrap.

Tinks177 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:47:50

Thanks for the replies.

We don't have a sling library nearby unfortunately sad

There's an Ergo reduced on Mothercare today in the Black Friday sales so I'm tempted to just buy it, but it's still a lot of money down the drain if we don't end up using it. We've been given a wrap so it's a carrier I'm looking for just in case we don't get on with that.

FreeButtonBee Fri 18-Nov-16 10:11:09

The ergo is really excellent. I still use it for my 50% centile 15mo and even my nanny uses it when she is taking all three on the bus and finds it really comfy. My (very un-hippy!) dad has used it too. It really is fantastic. But if you have a wrap sling there is really no hurry to get one as I found it more useful from about 3/4mo.

sarahnova69 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:12:42

You can rent slings online via itsaslingthing.co.UK. they are great. The ergo is great too, but bulky especially with the newborn insert and not great for petite people. I would honestly try before you buy, and you can also pick up great as-new slings secondhand since most people trade up and down as their kids grow.

ispymincepie Fri 18-Nov-16 12:13:46

Check out Nova carriers too 😊

sarahnova69 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:14:32

You can also practice with the stretchy now - I used a large teddy. The great thing about the stretchy is that you can pre-wrap ie before you get in the car, and then just slip baby in when you need to. A stretchy also fits everyone smile

ChipIn Fri 18-Nov-16 12:16:52

The online rental is a good option as certain carriers don't suit everyone. I tried an ergo but didn't like it as I found it too bulky. I much prefer the beco carriers as they are a bit more trim and I find the crossing over at the back much more supportive. A mei tai is a good option too as they have the cross over back and you don't have to adjust buckles each time someone else wears it.

I hope you enjoy baby wearing smile I hardly ever use my pram because I'm really uncoordinated and baby never kicks off in the carrier like she does in the pram. You can also go places you can't take a pram!

Hughpughbarneymagrew Fri 18-Nov-16 12:25:06

There are a lot of counterfeit ergos about, so if you do buy one make sure it's from an authorised retailer and keep your receipt to prove it's a genuine ergo if you want to be able to resell it secondhand
But, yes there are lots of other (better, in my view) options and online rental or a sling library will help you pick one before you spend money.

Tinks177 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:41:43

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice.

OH is refusing to use the sling (too 'hippyish') apparently so ideally I want a carrier that can be used from birth.

Love the online rental idea, will definitely look into that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now