Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

An adult trike with child seats?

(45 Posts)
TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 16:57:59

Does someone (I think it was a childminder) have one? What make is it and where can you get one?

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:11:59

bump?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:15:59

A websearch found me this . I use a normal bike with a child seat - are you not comfortable on a normal bike? Trikes tend to be slower than normal bikes (axles are heavy, and they need a long one).

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:29:37

I've been googling but didn't come up with that one- Thanks. We have one baby bike seat but the trouble is that we have 4 children 9,5,2&<1 I'm not sure DD1 who is 5 is up to keeping up with us the distances we want to cover. other wise we would have the 2 smaller ones on mine and DH's bikes. I thought that if I got a trike then I could take the 2 smaller ones out when i'm at home during the week.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:34:52

Hmmm, if you want to take two small ones out, I'd think a bike trailer would be the most effective option. If you're somewhere you could ride the trike, you're somewhere you could pull a bike trailer.

I ride a normal bike with a bike seat on the front (WeeRide) and a tagalong half-bike thing on the back. I'm transporting a two-year-old and a five-year-old. The half-bike thing works very well for a five-year-old.

If you're seriously hardcore, there are all sorts of interesting options, including tandems, and that mad dutch bike, which lets you transport 4 children, with a raincover. It's painfully expensive, but very nice.

mrsmalumbas Wed 31-Jan-07 20:35:24

How about one of those pod things that fastens behind the bike - like a little trailer for kids?

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:36:03

I can't see where this could fit one child seat let alone 2
Could almost get rid of car round here if I could find a way of transporting both of them

mrsmalumbas Wed 31-Jan-07 20:36:30

NQC beat me to it and rather more eloquently

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:36:57

DH doesn't like trailers he is frightend that a car would clip them.

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:39:41

We are considering the tag along for DD1 to go on DH's bike. We have a baby seat that fits on the back could I put DS2 on the front and DD2 on the back? of my bike I mean. Do you know what the name of the expensive bike is?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:41:21

Bike trailer!

You can put a bike seat on the back and one on the front, but I don't really recommend it (and I've done it).

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:41:50

Yeah, they make me nervous, trailers, but I'm in London.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:42:48

Here is the mad dutch bike. Very heavy, but works fine.

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:42:53

IS IT THIS ROFL

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:44:14

Do you know- I love it

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:45:03

This is a slightly smaller one.

They are good bikes.

Re: the one on front, one on back thing. Firstly, are you a tiny person, or a biggish person? I ask because I found it quite difficult, getting on and off, and had issues with stability, with two kids on the bike. And I'm quite big and heavy.

Also, getting your leg actually onto the bike is very tricky, without kicking someone in the face.

The front seat that I've got (and love) is called a Wee Ride, and it's great. Unfortunately, I don't think it's compliant with EU regs - it's ok in Canada, and used to be legal in the UK, but isn't now. So bike stores don't seem to stock it, but you can buy it online. (It's a proper bike seat, with a harness and everything.)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:45:56

Hmmm, the one you linked to is ... 'interesting looking'. Ok, I think it's really ugly.

I've seen the one I'm linking to in person (the long one, not the short one) and it looks ok, if slightly odd.

TwoIfBySea Wed 31-Jan-07 20:47:13

Did you mean the famous Danish Christiania bikes? I'd love one as there is no way I would transport dts (age 5) in a flimsy trailer made of nothing but a few metal tubes and fabric. And waiting for them to ride anywhere would defeat the purpose of actually going out!

But I don't have the money, or the space! Love the idea though, have picked out which one I want and which colours.

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:50:09

sorry I was refering to the one you linked to when I said I loved it. And I like the shorter one better. Have just lost 3 stone so am hoping i'm a smaller person (and plan on staying) so the 2 bike seats are a No then?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:50:13

While we're linking to freaky bikes, this is probably my future bike. Or maybe an adult-child tandem with a tagalong at the back?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:52:17

I would say not. I mean, you'd probably get used to them, but I found it quite precarious.

Realistically, though, you could probably try. If you want to combine tagalong and a child seat, at some point, a front child seat is a good idea. You could source a Wee Ride, and try using it with a back seat, and see how you get on?

WeeRide seats are about £60, so much more affordable than lots of these other options. And it's so nice travelling with your kid in front of you. The seat is only good from about 1 year - the child needs to be able to sit up while wearing a helmet.

Pity your smallest two are so close in age - you can't put a two-year-old on a tagalong, I don't think, I'd worry about them falling off. (for example, if s/he fell asleep)

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:52:46

Its not a tike though does it have some sort of stablisers for when you get of? or do you have to oik the dc's out as soon as you stop?

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:53:52

trike - i meant

NotQuiteCockney Wed 31-Jan-07 20:55:37

I think the Dutch one has a kickstand?

Actually, if you were going to do the two-seats thing, you would want a really good kickstand. That might help. I found getting the kids in and out really tricky, tbh. (I did only do it once ... um ... and I had a crash with a car when I did it, which probably colours my experience. I don't think the crash had much to do with the two-seat arrangement, although the fact the other child on the back was screaming didn't help ... the crash was really the driver's fault, as he was making a right turn through me without signalling. Worth noting: neither child had a mark on them.)

With one child in a seat, you rest the bike against your hip, you plonk the kid in, you grab the handlebars, all ok. With two kids in seats, I'm not really sure what you do, you have to lean it against something other than your hip.

The weirdo bikes have the kids low down, so their centre of gravity is lower, so they're less likely to topple you.

TheOriginalXENA Wed 31-Jan-07 20:56:25

I love the triple tandem. Does anyone stock the dutch bikes in the uk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now